Intelligent guys

Tristessa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Intelligence is a huge turn on, but I tend to be attracted to a very practical sort of intelligence: computer programmers, engineers, mathematicians/statisticians, physicists. And drummers, although I'm trying to give up that bad habit. I'm a bit dreamy/spacey myself, so that sort of down-to-earth logic really appeals to me.

But I prefer the really intelligent ones that present themselves well, a bit of attitude or an off-kilter sense of humor, some identifiable sense of style, vibrant personality. And if they play an instrument, even better.

I lived in Sweden for 6 years (was married to a Swede, and my boyfriend is Swedish as well) and found more of my "type" there than anywhere else I've lived (all over the US, and now Scotland). Can't get enough of the Swedish techie guys :tongue:

i_dont_get_it

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love nerdy geeky guys i have no clue why but thier awkwardness attracts me to them. I'm so glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way. And i love that they can keep an intelligent conversation with me.

B_blackkid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I think being too intelligent is a turn off.

That's personal opinion however in regards to my female preference, and if I had a male one which I do but rarely act upon it also bothers me.

Someone I can talk to but not someone who simply trumps me and knows every Tirthankar in Jainism or something by name and shit.

JC8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kissinger is famous for having said :

"Power is the greatest aphrodisiac"

but maybe you have to be intelligent to know that :wink:
(yes, irregardless of whatever else he might be, Kissinger is no doubt intelligent :tongue:)

Irregardless isn't a word.

Let me also add: homonyms are the bane of my existence.

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Really? I thought he was famous for subverting American interests to benefit the parasite state, influencing policy which caused millions of deaths, created poverty, destroyed democratic governance internationally, and set the US on the course of its (now inevitable) destruction. Does that make you horny, does it?

Ooh he made a quip!

:confused::eek::mad:

Here is another example of someone who thinks they are smart but is very quick to judgement on the basis of a false assumption. :rolleyes:

And so yet another post that contributes nothing to the stated topic of discussion is added. (Free bragging rights are offered to those intelligent enough to spot the deliberate double-entendre in this paragraph) :biggrin1:

I think one of the most difficult (and revealing) aspects of being attracted to intelligence must be the issue of discernment:

1. How do you know if someone is really intelligent or just putting on an act?

2. Is your understanding of 'intelligence' the same as other people's?

3. Why the fuck is intelligence important (or unimportant) to you anyway(s)?

(I think both 'anyway' and 'anyways' are words with only a very slight difference in meaning. But in order to avoid having anyone castrate themselves with knotted knickers, I am giving you all the option of choosing which word (or non-word) you find more acceptable in other people's posts).

tiff86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Geeks and nerds are not the same thing, and not all intelligent men fit either of those descriptions.

That's so funny my bf has given me this big story about the difference between geeks and nerds. He says nerds are smart and into brainy things but geeks are socially weird. Anyway to the post yeah I think smart guys are good but I dunno about geeky or really nerdy guys, I don't think you need to be geeky or nerdy to be smart!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any girls here that are really attracted to nerd geeks guys?
I know the OP was banned but in my experience, intelligent men needn't be either nerds or geeks. They could actually be broken into 3 subsets: intelligent, nerds, geeks. And yes depending upon the man I have been attracted to all 3 types.

There are totally guys that have both intelligence and looks to match. Just check around through some posts and galleries....
Maybe check out the college students...
I looked, but I didn't see any, could you possibly name a few? :wink::tongue:

I think being too intelligent is a turn off. WTF?!? :eek:
That's personal opinion however in regards to my female preference, :eek: WOW! I was hoping that mentality had died out amongst young black men.:frown1: Thank you for validating my preference for white men though. :biggrin1: I can't tell you how many black men have been annoyed and turned off by my intelligence.Someone I can talk to but not someone who simply trumps me and knows every Tirthankar in Jainism or something by name and shit. Are you sure it isn't arrogance that is the real turn off to you? Perhaps you suffer from low self-esteem and only think they are talking down to you when in fact they are just talking?:confused:

That's so funny my bf has given me this big story about the difference between geeks and nerds. He says nerds are smart and into brainy things but geeks are socially weird. Excellent explanation! That sounds like something a nerd friend of mine told me years ago. Anyway to the post yeah I think smart guys are good but I dunno about geeky or really nerdy guys, I don't think you need to be geeky or nerdy to be smart! I agree!

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So, how do the following rank in appeal?

Someone who is educated (has acquired a broad range of knowledge, facts, opinions, etc.)
Someone who is intelligent (is facile at making valid generalizations from specific observations, valid specifics from general observations, is able to follow a complex chain of logic, creative problem solving, pattern recognition, etc.)
Someone who is a nerd (passionately obsessed with being smart, learning, academics)
Someone who is a geek (passionately obsessed with a particular subject, especially one that is very narrow, trivial, arcane, and obscure)

Note that being a nerd or a geek does *not* imply being a dork -- someone who is socially inept or apathetic.

Also note that one can be any combination of the above -- someone can be intelligent without being educated, educated without being intelligent, a non-educated geek, a non-intelligent nerd, or an educated intelligent geeky nerd.

(For the record, I am well educated, highly intelligent, and only mildly nerdy despite what the punque keeps telling me.)

Tristessa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
So, how do the following rank in appeal?

Someone who is educated (has acquired a broad range of knowledge, facts, opinions, etc.)
Someone who is intelligent (is facile at making valid generalizations from specific observations, valid specifics from general observations, is able to follow a complex chain of logic, creative problem solving, pattern recognition, etc.)
Someone who is a nerd (passionately obsessed with being smart, learning, academics)
Someone who is a geek (passionately obsessed with a particular subject, especially one that is very narrow, trivial, arcane, and obscure)

I prefer intelligence over education, because I've met way too many highly educated assholes that actually didn't know anything at all. Natural talent is much hotter.

I'm a nerd at heart, but don't look like the stereotypical idea of one, and have always been a bit artsy/musical as well as loving science and math. So other nerds-in-disguise are appealing, as long as they aren't hiding that they're bright.

Geeks depend on the subject. I've dated the anime/roleplaying/strategical history/pick your convention types and have never been very impressed. My boyfriend now though is a game developer and a brilliant programmer, and he loves what he does. The passion for a subject that's intelligent (or interesting to me . . playing music, diving, whatever) is what really turns me on. I get off on giving him blowjobs whilst he programs something complicated . . how weird is that? :tongue:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would have to say that all of the men I have ever dated have been at a bare minimum intelligent. There would be no spark otherwise. I dont think I have ever dated a nerd or a geek though. Definitely not a dork. Many of them also have been blessed with being handsome as well. I have been told that water seeks its level...:biggrin1:

D_Marvin Meatthistle

Just Browsing
Media
Where would I fit in - I'm a computer scientist who loves programming and on course to get decent results at uni, I take an interest in current affairs (I love watching have I got news for you!) and have an opinion on polictal issues. But I also enjoy chilling with my mates in a nice pub, watching and playing various sports (a bit of 5-a side with the lads is great fun!) and generally enjoying life!

Being intelligent/geeky is not necessarily a bad thing. I know people who are into astrophysics, could tell you the spec of every car ever made and who read encyclopaedias for fun. Ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea! Despite this, they still are great people, good to have a laugh with and often very successful in the relationship stakes because there is more to them then the "intelligence".

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
Almost everyone considers themselves to have above average intelligence.

I was an honor student in school, played at master level in chess tournaments (I don't look like a geek, but some of the players indeed did), and almost never made below 100 in math. I assisted the teachers in teaching. However, I've made many mistakes in life. I've learned the hard way that even if one is indeed labeled quite smart one can still be a stumbling fool anyway.