Iphone update probs...

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Agreed. As I wrote in a different thread regarding Apple, their products say much more about the vanity of their users than anything about reliability or real technological breakthroughs. They are expensive toys for people with cash to burn: we mere mortals get by just fine on the shit we can actually afford.

Watch them wring out their hankies in bitter disappointment over the loss: one customer means nothing to them.

LOL, Bbucko!

I of course am incredibly vain. But I have zero cash to burn.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Agreed. As I wrote in a different thread regarding Apple, their products say much more about the vanity of their users than anything about reliability or real technological breakthroughs. They are expensive toys for people with cash to burn: we mere mortals get by just fine on the shit we can actually afford.

Watch them wring out their hankies in bitter disappointment over the loss: one customer means nothing to them.

1-
Yeah some people buy them because they are hip, I bought mine because it's slick, and what I thought was a good product.

I don't see what the difference is between having a blackberry and nokia etc.

It was affordable, I never get anything unless I can afford it. I don't want to pay the £130 just out of principle.

2-
I know lossing one customer means nothing to them, but when you consider that this is my second iphone, I have 3 ipods, and potentially will spend thousands more over my lifetime it all adds up.

Every member in my house has atleast 2 apple products, if we all have the same problem then thats alot they are missing out on tbh.

But yes I agree with you a bit...

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Really?? I wish you didn't feel the need to generalize and label people you know nothing about. What does it say when you make character judgments based on the brand of telephone people use?? Does that extend to other technological devices? or the food they eat or the wine they drink?

Sure there are plenty of posers who must show off the latest toy. But the iphone is like 4 years old. Sorry, the people with cash to burn have moved on.

On the other hand I know some businessmen with uber-bucks who wouldn't dream of burning cash (cheap bastards really), who use iphones. Because they are very handy tools.

And as I wrote in another thread the iphone is an extremely useful tool for me. It has helped me find my way in dozens of unfamiliar places (cities and countryside) in I'd say about ten different countries. It has music, a phone, gps, currency converter, language translation, a calculator, a shitty camera, a world clock, skype, a level, the NYTimes, a voice memo recorder, SMS. I use them all on nearly a daily basis. I don't know of another all in one device that does what I need so well. I've had zero issues with it.

I also have a Blackberry 8500 I received as a gift from Turkcell. I use it on my other line and it's very nice but it sucks wind compared to an iphone.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And as I wrote in another thread the iphone is an extremely useful tool for me. It has helped me find my way in dozens of unfamiliar places (cities and countryside) in I'd say about ten different countries. It has

music
so does any mobile phone
a phone
so does any mobile phone
gps
why not just get sat. nav. for your car? Or use a road map
currency converter
currency conversion rates are widely available at post offices, certain news channels and in certain newspapers. The vast majority of people do not need this information.
language translation
there are translation dictionaries and most people speak at least a little English. The vast majority of people do not need this information.
a calculator
so does any mobile phone
a shitty camera
so does any mobile phone
a world clock
I fail to see the great innovation that this brings. Time zone information is freely available online at timeanddate.com
which you could access on ANY MOBILE PHONE
. Also certain times are arithmetic.
a level
?
the NYTimes
Not really a selling point for the vast majority of people
a voice memo recorder
so does any mobile phone
SMS
so does any mobile phone

I use them all on nearly a daily basis. I don't know of another all in one device that does what I need so well. I've had zero issues with it.

I also have a Blackberry 8500 I received as a gift from Turkcell. I use it on my other line and it's very nice but it sucks wind compared to an iphone.

Want to waste your money on useless shite? There's an app for that. It's a waste of money function-wise. The only real 'benefit' you may get is "product prestige".

Enjoy the prestige for about two or three years; until the product inevitably fails.

When you go crying to Apple they will just hold out their hands for you to fork over for another useless modern techno-trinket which doesn't actually do much more than a mobile phone and the extra things it does do are afterthoughts and/or useless to most people.

If you ask about the failure rate they will just tell you that it is within acceptable levels.

So in summary: The iphone is an "all-in-one" as in "all the most impractical functions in one device" for posers or for people who fail to see the inefficacy of the product.

Anything the iphone can do, a mobile phone can do better and it is easier to replace. Plus most mobile phones will fail within warranty.

And the things an iphone can do that a mobile phone can't aren't worth doing.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As demonstrated in this thread by the O.P. You may pay for a i phone, however you don't own it. It's not yours it's Steve Jobs. Once he fills your i phone with updates, kiss your i phone goodbye. Many updates are done without a users knowledge also. This sly trick is also done with Macs (example given) the new Snow Leopard. Steve Jobs once said Macs are virus free. Another lie. Now without the users knowledge (again) he is trying to protect them against viruses, behind closed doors. Secret updates hidden from the user and the public. For the public to know would be a bad pr move. Steve Jobs knows your ip address and exact location. He owns your Mac, i phone, and i pod. You do not.

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The i phone is a overpriced toy. Get yourself a real phone that is safe and reliable. Blackberry is making the best phone out there right now.

Really?? I wish you didn't feel the need to generalize and label people you know nothing about. What does it say when you make character judgments based on the brand of telephone people use?? Does that extend to other technological devices? or the food they eat or the wine they drink?

Sure there are plenty of posers who must show off the latest toy. But the iphone is like 4 years old. Sorry, the people with cash to burn have moved on.

On the other hand I know some businessmen with uber-bucks who wouldn't dream of burning cash (cheap bastards really), who use iphones. Because they are very handy tools.

And as I wrote in another thread the iphone is an extremely useful tool for me. It has helped me find my way in dozens of unfamiliar places (cities and countryside) in I'd say about ten different countries. It has music, a phone, gps, currency converter, language translation, a calculator, a shitty camera, a world clock, skype, a level, the NYTimes, a voice memo recorder, SMS. I use them all on nearly a daily basis. I don't know of another all in one device that does what I need so well. I've had zero issues with it.

What Vince said.

I too have an iPhone and Blackberry (for work). The iPhone is far more useful on a daily basis. Given the choice I would just use the iPhone. Not for reasons of vanity but purely on usability and functionality.

fxc1100

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, and I sure hope the touch screen goes out of style. I have yet to find one that is fast enough, and there is something to be said about a hard button, especially when all I want to do is end the damn call.

What exactly about the touch screens are to slow? I've found that the Motorola Droid series, HTC EVO 4G and Incredible are pretty responsive.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Replying inside the quoted text makes it a real pain in the arse to read and respond to you.
music
so does any mobile phone
Great.
phone
so does any mobile phone
That's an astute observation.
gps
why not just get sat. nav. for your car? Or use a road map
because that's one more device to purchase, buy maps for, carry around, worry about it being stolen, keep charged and go obsolete in a few years. I use the Google maps or Navigon on the phone and they work as well as I need.
currency converter
currency conversion rates are widely available at post offices, certain news channels and in certain newspapers. The vast majority of people do not need this information.
But I do. In my work right now I am buying supplies in five different currencies. Yes there are websites and gadgets for the desktop computer but I am only in the office about 30 percent of the day. If we are out in the city and some guy offers a service in Liras, I want to know what that is in Euro or compare it to CDN dollars. The info is instantly available on the phone.
language translation
there are translation dictionaries and most people speak at least a little English. The vast majority of people do not need this information.
I travel a lot. I need it. As for an electronic translation device... tried one and the interface sucked and again it's another thing to maintain and carry around keep track of. People like it if you at least can say "hello, please and thank you" in the local language. Often there are signs one needs to decipher as well.
a calculator
so does any mobile phone
Most are not as easy to use.
a shitty camera
so does any mobile phone
a world clock
I fail to see the great innovation that this brings. Time zone information is freely available online at timeanddate.com
which you could access on ANY MOBILE PHONE. Also certain times are arithmetic.
My client's Interior Designer is in Shanghai this week. I need to call him and break his balls about how he is not delivering the specs for the leather wallcoverings. What time is it in Shanghai? Do you know that in your head?
Last month I phoned landlines in North America, various European countries, and South Africa for 367 minutes on the iphone using Skype. It cost me 65 euros. 1.7 cents per minute. My normal carrier would charge 85 cents/minute. I saved 250 euros. That may be a "meh" to you, but it's real money to me. And I don't have to use or keep the shitty "Skype phone" I had and I can use it from any Wi-Fi connection not just one place.
a level
?
yeah I have an electronic spirit level app that works very well off of the accelerometers in the device. The Triangle app is useful for easily calculating Pythagoras's theorem. (I build stuff)
the NYTimes
Not really a selling point for the vast majority of people
I read it while sitting on the shitter every morning. I can't wrap fish or wipe my butt with it like the real NYTimes, but that's ok.
a voice memo recorder
so does any mobile phone
SMS
so does any mobile phone
great.

Want to waste your money on useless shite? There's an app for that. It's a waste of money function-wise. The only real 'benefit' you may get is "product prestige".

Enjoy the prestige for about two or three years; until the product inevitably fails.

When you go crying to Apple they will just hold out their hands for you to fork over for another useless modern techno-trinket which doesn't actually do much more than a mobile phone and the extra things it does do are afterthoughts and/or useless to most people.

If you ask about the failure rate they will just tell you that it is within acceptable levels.

So in summary: The iphone is an "all-in-one" as in "all the most impractical functions in one device" for posers or for people who fail to see the inefficacy of the product.

Anything the iphone can do, a mobile phone can do better and it is easier to replace. Plus most mobile phones will fail within warranty.

And the things an iphone can do that a mobile phone can't aren't worth doing.
The people who think a four year old electronic device is about posing or trying to impress someone else must have some kind of insecurities of their own or have a bad case technojealously. iPhones are not more expensive than other smartphones and are so common now that NOBODY is impressed. That whole line of thinking makes me laugh.

As I said in another thread last month. I don't know which is more annoying, the Apple fanboys or the Apple haters. Both are just different sides of the same coin... It's an electronic device. Get over it and stop making social judgments based on what stuff people use. It's very shallow.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This from todays New York Post. It appears Apple has been using the wrong formula to determine the signal strength for the i phone for years. Instead laying the blame on AT&T for dropped calls and poor wireless performance. Users of the new i phone 4 call it the death grip. When held where the hand covers the black strip on the side, the user gets poor wireless performance and dropped calls.

Apple: iPhone using wrong formula to determine signal strength - NYPOST.com

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Update; Both phones are now up and running, so much for Apples conclusion of its f**ked buy another one.

Both are now running on iOS4, They will NOT backdate to a previous softwear as of yet. Get error code 1015. But still trying, as The iOS4 is painfully slow and it makes a weird cracking/expanding kinda sound now and then.

Plus I do NOT trust this firmwear one bit.

Oh and my brothers phone won't turn off still.

Getting there slowly....

Thanks for the help for those that helped, and the ones ranting can gtfo...

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It appears Apple has been using the wrong formula to determine the signal strength for the i phone for years. Instead laying the blame on AT&T for dropped calls and poor wireless performance. Users of the new i phone 4 call it the death grip. When held where the hand covers the black strip on the side, the user gets poor wireless performance and dropped calls.
Way to read the thread, Snakey. That info was already posted.

The only thing about I find appealing about the blackberry is the qwerty keypad. The micro screen sucks ass. Power to those who like them but I don't see myself getting one.

I dislike Apple's smugness and control freakery. The fanboys get on my nerves. However, the device itself is pretty nifty and I can easily see why you'd want all of the features you mention. I love me some phone toys, myself.

I do want to mention, though that all of the things you mention are also features on many, if not all, Android phones plus a hefty percentage of windows based phones. I like the iPhones quite a bit, I just like other phones better for features like changing my own battery and expandable storage with SD cards.

From what I can see the only thing Apple has decisively over the competition is their larger selection of Apps. And Android is closing that gap. Fast.

Here's a feature that impresses the hell out of me because I hate to type.
Voice to text. You speak, the phone transcribes what you say. The newer Android phones have it built into the phone's software usable within any text entry fields. IPhone users can get an App that does the same but you have to perform the transcription and then transfer it to the application you want the text written or store, then transfer it if it's being added to something already in progress (not useful for replies). PITA (pain in the ass) that.

Compare.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laOlkD8LmZw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPcFdU8F06E
vs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J66AA8TBbQ&feature=related

Imagine how much more efficiently you can use language translation with these, Vince.

Want to waste your money on useless shite? There's an app for that.
That made me laugh.
Still, you have to admit that certain Apps can be invaluable to certain people.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

The only thing about I find appealing about the blackberry is the qwerty keypad. The micro screen sucks ass. Power to those who like them but I don't see myself getting one.

I dislike Apple's smugness and control freakery. The fanboys get on my nerves. However, the device itself is pretty nifty and I can easily see why you'd want all of the features you mention. I love me some phone toys, myself.

I do want to mention, though that all of the things you mention are also features on many, if not all, Android phones plus a hefty percentage of windows based phones. I like the iPhones quite a bit, I just like other phones better for features like changing my own battery and expandable storage with SD cards.

From what I can see the only thing Apple has decisively over the competition is their larger selection of Apps. And Android is closing that gap. Fast.

Voice to text. You speak, the phone transcribes what you say. The newer Android phones have it built into the phone's software usable within any text entry fields. IPhone users can get an App that does the same but you have to perform the transcription and then transfer it to the application you want the text written or store, then transfer it if it's being added to something already in progress (not useful for replies). PITA (pain in the ass) that.

Compare.
vs.

Imagine how much more efficiently you can use language translation with these, Vince.

That made me laugh.
Yeah, I get all that and I know that other phones do this or that and some are better at some stuff and that Steve Jobs is a control freak. But I should care if he knows my IP address?? He's had my name, address, and telephone number since 1987! He hasn't come over and robbed me or sold my kids into the white slave trade. I mean where does all this hate and paranoia come from? Now it's the Great Antenna Coverup. LOL. I loved Apple's response... "Don't hold it that way stupid".

No one electronic device suits everyone that much should be clear. Different strokes for different folks and we all get to choose what we like to blow our money on.

And go ahead and critique the phone or the company that makes it. I don't care. Neither are perfect and if someone wants to get wound up about a thing they don't even own... well.... I guess everyone has their own ways of wasting time.

What ticks my box is when people start going off on judgmental tangents about other people based on the shit they choose to use or wear or own. I am a "poser" because I have an Apple iPhone? Kiss my ass and get a life.

The Droid phones are pretty nifty and the speak and spell app sounds cool! I was going to get one, but then turkcell gave me this Blackberry as a reward for spending so much money. My company has 8 mobile lines and the carrier groups them in a "family" and calls within the group are pretty much free. They do know how to charge for the rest of their services though! Yes the 8500's keyboard is really nice to use and the phone works fine. I don't like the trackpad thing and the small screen though. It doesn't cut through background noise as well as the Apple. I can't hear a thing on it when I am at a noisy worksite.

Anyhow after four days the upgrade is ok. Just skype has to release an update. The multitasking works better than before, which is nice and the system seems a bit snappier.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Compare.
vs.

That made me laugh.
Sorry. I didn't see that. However, i think the New York Post deals more with the truth of the situation at hand. That being how rotten Apple and Steve Jobs really are. "There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What ticks my box is when people start going off on judgmental tangents about other people based on the shit they choose to use or wear or own. I am a "poser" because I have an Apple iPhone? Kiss my ass and get a life.
I'm hoping that was aimed at Incocknito, but at any rate you understand how I felt being labeled a "hater" just because I don't find iPhone's feature set compatible with my checklist.

But you found Jobs', "Don't hold it that way" funny?
C'mon, that's just rudeness.

A phone for right handed users only? One you can't touch bare handed without compromising signal strength? He should be kicked in the teeth for that smug response.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
No it wasn't aimed at you. You didn't write it.

I can imagine Jobs getting a bit pissed and snapping after his company fucked up and all he heard was bitching. It sounds like something I'd say. :redface:

Recently we built a staircase (to the design) and the 6 foot 7 inch Aussie captain moaned that he was going to hit his head on the ceiling as he came to the lower landing and how for all that money he expected better, blah, blah, blah.... I told him he'd only do it once.

Apple should have offered to fix the phones for free. I heard a bit scotch tape fixes the problem. They could easily spray some clear coat on the band.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Update; Both phones are now up and running, so much for Apples conclusion of its f**ked buy another one.

Both are now running on iOS4, They will NOT backdate to a previous softwear as of yet. Get error code 1015. But still trying, as The iOS4 is painfully slow and it makes a weird cracking/expanding kinda sound now and then.

Plus I do NOT trust this firmwear one bit.

Oh and my brothers phone won't turn off still.

Getting there slowly....

Thanks for the help for those that helped, and the ones ranting can gtfo...

I told you in pm's A that we will get your phone back to working condition. Apple didn't conclude that it's fucked, buy another. The idiot drones who worked in the shop you happened to ask told you that. It's rare but every once and a while you do get a service person who actually tells you what you really need to know but they usually don't last too long at that particular job. Through googling and a bit of trial and error you will resolve this issue and in the process educate yourself about the computer you own so you don't have to rely on price gouging official service shops in the future. (That goes for autos, plumbing and all appliances as well, but that should be a different thread :smile:) The 3g firmware is not made nor compatible with the iOS4 software...period. iOS4 works minimally with 3gs and optimally, of course, with the new 4. At some point all hardware,(computer, smartphone, studio effects gear, printers, scanners,etc,) must be upgraded to support the latest software.

On a side note...it seems there are a lot of people here and elsewhere that place way too much importance on the iPhone and Apple in general. Like or dislike their products, use them or not, but to judge other people's moral fiber and character based on having a damn phone preference is absurd. Maybe take a step back and re-access your priorities in life. Just my opinion of course, truthfully I could care less if that's the kind of negative bullshit you choose to carry around with you. It only weighs you down.

Let me know how it goes tomorrow A. Hopefully the last link I sent you works.