Keto

D

deleted924715

I did keto combined with intermittent fasting for a few months and it is the best I have ever looked and felt. The intermittent fasting was a natural result of the keto - I wasn't hungry and it isn't the type of food I would just eat for the sake of it.

I read a lot about it first because it seemed... Unhealthy. But when you delve into the science (or lack of) behind the eating guidelines we are given, cholesterol levels etc fat didn't seem to be as demonic as it had been painted.

I didn't find it hard to stick to when I was doing it, what I found difficult was constantly having to explain my meals to family/friends/colleagues who would preach at me how fat is bad for you (I don't disagree that *some* fats are) - it can be a bit of an antisocial way to eat.

I also had a bit of carb withdrawal at the start, which is what has put me off doing it again - I know I'll feel better once I get past the pain barrier, but I can't bring myself to do it. I will at some point though.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But wouldn’t the body use the new fresh fat the average ketoer is guzzling be the preferred source as it hasn’t been taken up into storage?
You would still have to keep your calories under control, of course.
And fat starts getting digested right around the 3 hour mark, from what I'm reading

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Over 18 months in total, I went from 349 to 159, a 54" waist to a 28" waist. I started so small with starting to drink 4 litres of water daily, I gave up every other liquid except water and black coffee, and within a month I dropped several sizes. I then cut out alcohol, processed foods, dairy, meat, sugar, salt, and ate organic as much as possible, if it came in a box I didn't eat it. I also added a few other things like apple cider vinegar, collagen and wheat grass every morning combined with some vitamins and supplements. I also started to do red light therapy 5 days per week for 20 minutes daily, I did this for a year to prevent loose skin.

After about 6 months I started to walk on the treadmill and eventually just started to run on the treadmill because I enjoyed it, I didn't even do it on a regular basis, maybe twice a week for 30 mins. I eventually became more active just because I felt so much better. I'm really lucky because it was pretty easy. I actually still eat very healthy, no desire for sugar, alcohol or junk food. It's a lifestyle change.

View attachment 20305221 View attachment 20305261
Wow! Fantastic!

Reactions: unstr8

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it is a bunch of ranking risk.

I wonder how eating fat encourages the body to burn fat.
It seems to me that one needs to be a good bit under energy needs to trigger fat as first fuel.
It goes together with the main principle: don't eat carbs (well, you can have a tiny amount). Without the carbs, you'll make less insulin. It's insulin that makes people put on weight.

Without the energy from carbs, your body will have to get a good chunk of its energy from fat.

Mind you, you'll still have glucose in your body. But less. Your body can produce you (pancreatic alpha cells and your liver making gluco-something out of proteins.

But with a glucose level that's stabilized, you'll be having a lot less insulin in your body.

I'm cutting corners in my explanation to keep it short.

Reactions: jozv

unstr8

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I believe what I'm doing now is more the "dirty keto" as I don't count carbs but rather stick to eating the same items all the time in different combinations. My grocery costs did increase on a keto lifestyle – that makes sense, ironically the more they process food, the less expensive it becomes.

This is a selection of items I buy at the grocery store all the time:

Celery, Cucumber, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Pepper, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Green Onion, White Onion, Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus, Tomatoes, Acorn Squash, Zucchini, Garlic

Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Avocado

Medium Ground Beef (80 Beef/20 Pork), Ham, Steak, Whole Chicken, Bacon, Pork Loin, Turkey, Prosciutto

Tuna, Salmon

Butter, Eggs, 35% Whipping Cream, Cream Cheese, Blue Cheese, Old Cheddar Cheese, FF Greek Yogurt, FF Cottage Cheese, Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

Whole Raw Almonds, Only Peanuts Crunchy Peanut Butter, 100% Cacao Chocolate Bar, Good Fats Bar, Key-To Life Bar, Olives, Dill Pickles

Pure Stevia, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Coffee, Various Spices, Ranch Dressing

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
‘Dirty Keto’ is eating highly processed and convenience foods that meet the keto profile vs. ‘clean’ which is natural and unprocessed foods.

I’ve been ketogenic since July after putting on massive lockdown weight. I’ve lost 40 pounds so far and have another 30 to go to meet my goal around the New Year. I’m eating two meals a day with mostly a big portion of protein and lots of non-starchy veg. You can eat a surprising amount of veg and still stay under 20 net carbs. I weighed stuff for about a week to calibrate my meal sizes and calories. I hit a minimum protein goal per day. I have a maximum net carb limit. Fats act as a lever. The fewer fats you eat, the fewer calories. Most of my fats comes from eggs, nuts/seeds and oily fish. Calories do matter because you have to deficit to lose weight. That weight that comes off initially the first couple weeks is mostly a water shift from the ketones. After that, the most I can realistically lose on an ongoing basis is 2-3 lbs a week going forward. It’s mathematics. Shooting for 10 lbs a month.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So many myths about keto here :(

Keto definitely works. It's not unhealthy, there's a long list of proven health benefits. But as with anything, once it becomes a fad hundreds of blogs and youtube channels and instagram posts pop up to spread misinformation about it :rolleyes:

Many people are drawn to keto because they're under the impression it's a magic diet where they can eat unlimited bacon and fatty junk foods and still lose weight. It doesn't work like that: you can't just guzzle fat all day, you still need to maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight, and the quality of food you eat is still very important. When I'm in keto I eat a lot of eggs and lean meats such as chicken and fish, lots of lettuce, cabbage, spinach and celery, and most of my fats come from healthy sources like coconut/MCT oil, olive oil, etc.

Most people that think they're following a keto diet aren't actually in ketosis. Many of the recipes posted on popular keto sites and channels would immediately kick you out of ketosis from just one serving.. but even failed "Keto" is still beneficial for these people because for once in their lives they're actually paying attention to the foods they eat, avoiding sugar and limiting carbohydrate intake to some degree. It takes an impressive amount of willpower, discipline and diligence to stay in ketosis for weeks or months.. and for those that have the discipline to stay in a strict keto diet indefinitely, it puts a serious damper on your social life to be on a diet that is so different and often incompatible with what everyone else is eating.

There are certain people who can potentially benefit from long-term keto. If I were diabetic or even pre-diabetic I'd seriously consider long-term keto to keep it under control (or even reverse it).
IMO where keto really shines is being able to strip fat from your body in the most effective way while still preserving your hard-earned muscle. I usually do a month of keto before bikini season to strip away all of my winter fluff ;)

D

deleted1074483

Over 18 months in total, I went from 349 to 159, a 54" waist to a 28" waist. I started so small with starting to drink 4 litres of water daily, I gave up every other liquid except water and black coffee, and within a month I dropped several sizes. I then cut out alcohol, processed foods, dairy, meat, sugar, salt, and ate organic as much as possible, if it came in a box I didn't eat it. I also added a few other things like apple cider vinegar, collagen and wheat grass every morning combined with some vitamins and supplements. I also started to do red light therapy 5 days per week for 20 minutes daily, I did this for a year to prevent loose skin.

After about 6 months I started to walk on the treadmill and eventually just started to run on the treadmill because I enjoyed it, I didn't even do it on a regular basis, maybe twice a week for 30 mins. I eventually became more active just because I felt so much better. I'm really lucky because it was pretty easy. I actually still eat very healthy, no desire for sugar, alcohol or junk food. It's a lifestyle change.

View attachment 20305221 View attachment 20305261

wow thats hugely successful and brilliant, congratulations and looking good on it

Reactions: unstr8

Gerony

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When using fat as an energy source, the body first converts the fat into ketones, which function very much like glucose - they’re a source of energy that circulates in the blood and can be taken up by cells as needed.

(Yes, ketones can be dangerous when present at very high levels, but unless you’re an insulin-dependent diabetic this will never become a problem. In healthy people, insulin keeps the blood ketones at a level far below this point. We are intended to be able to live off nothing but our body fat reserves, maybe for weeks, so our bodies can handle a normal amount of ketones just fine.)

There’s good evidence that high-fat diets turn fat people into normal-sized people, and that high-sugar diets do the reverse, but exactly why this works is controversial. The explanation that makes sense to me is this one. Humans are built to handle natural carb sources, but not the refined and concentrated carb sources available today. When refined carbs are eaten, your body goes overboard on the insulin response. The insulin shovels as much of it as possible into the fat tissue, and keeps shoveling, such that your blood sugar goes from too high to below normal with that. You can’t start burning fat for energy either, because insulin blocks that process. So now you are literally starving at the cellular level, even though you’ve eaten plenty of calories. You feel awful, and have the overwhelming urge to eat something sugary. And the cycle repeats, and you get fatter and fatter.

By contrast, eating a diet that creates as little insulin release as possible allows the body to release and burn as much fat as possible. On such a diet, you have a consistent level of energy, and won’t be hungry for more calories than you need.

In my experience - having been on a high-fat diet for years - once you’re at a healthy weight, you don’t have to stay in ketosis full-time, but can experiment with natural carbs. A healthy person can use both metabolic systems. (If I was an elite athlete, I’d pick one or the other, but I’m not - just a normal person who enjoys some beans or some squash once in awhile.) If you’re just starting out, though, it’s really in your interest to commit to deep ketosis, 75%+ fat, zero cheats, for at least a month. If you’re a lifelong carb-muncher who’s rarely missed a meal, your body does not know how to burn fat, and it would rather not learn. You need that time to force it to learn.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
So I came across that kind of diet many times and I was wondering what you guys think about it.
For those who doesn’t know it it’s a first based on fat mainly from animals (usually cow/pig) then proteins and then carbs (most of the people that are doing it try to eat like 15g of carbs each day or even less). And then the fuel of the body comes from fat and not from carbs and then you lose fat.
I’ve read from that people that are doing it that it’s very healthy and they feel amazing.
But is it though??
don't fool your self that type of diet does not work...

eating high amounts of cow/pig and chicken is not really good for you..

Personally I'm moving to a vegan type diet no meat or meat products .. by the end of the year i'll stop eating and consuming animal products.

might as well skip the middle man (the cow, pig and chicken) as you can get all your protein from plants..

I still eat meat at the moment but about 2 times a week only 100% organic 100% grass fed ONLY

the normal garbage meat you see on the shelf is "second quality" (5-6 year old dairy cows, aka: a milk prostitute ) these cows have HIGH amounts of Prolactin and estrogen they keep them pregnant to get as much milk out of them as possible.. same with the pigs they keep them pregnant as well

if you start eating a lot of meat your cholesterol , prolactin and estrogen will go up by a lot (on cheap meats).. this is something you can expect it will damage your arteries overtime with permanent damage...
i suggest sticking with 100% organic meats if you were to do so..

i'm doing pretty well on it my Total cholesterol is only 122 and my testosterone improved by 58%.

it;s hard to buy that high carbs is a problem, only so if your all ready a diabetic... My fasting A1c is only 4.7% is equal to blood sugar of 88 mg/dl.... I have a high carb diet inorder to make up for not eating filtered carbs from animals those type of animals eat alot of Soy to fatten them up 1 cup of raw soy is 830 calories .. most of these animals eat about 6,000-8,000 calories a day so they can send them to the laughter house in 6 months

just stay away from the milk( milk by products as well) and sugar and the weight drops off (if you drink a lot of baby cows milk you will lose ALOT OF weight after you stop drinking it)

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
It goes together with the main principle: don't eat carbs (well, you can have a tiny amount). Without the carbs, you'll make less insulin. It's insulin that makes people put on weight.

Without the energy from carbs, your body will have to get a good chunk of its energy from fat.

Mind you, you'll still have glucose in your body. But less. Your body can produce you (pancreatic alpha cells and your liver making gluco-something out of proteins.

But with a glucose level that's stabilized, you'll be having a lot less insulin in your body.

I'm cutting corners in my explanation to keep it short.

insulin that cannot get into cells blocked with lipids is a problem. Insulin taken in like it’s supposed to be, isn’t a problem (all other hormones being roughly ok)

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There’s good evidence that high-fat diets turn fat people into normal-sized people, and that high-sugar diets do the reverse, but exactly why this works is controversial.

If you’re just starting out, though, it’s really in your interest to commit to deep ketosis, 75%+ fat, zero cheats, for at least a month. If you’re a lifelong carb-muncher who’s rarely missed a meal, your body does not know how to burn fat, and it would rather not learn. You need that time to force it to learn.

There's good evidence all restrictive diets work... for as long as you're following them. People doing keto, if they stop doing it, they'll also put the way back. Keto forums are full of posts of people coming back to keto after "falling off the wagon" and gaining the weight back.

As for the body not being able to burn fat and having to be forced back to it... Are you sure that's what it is? I find this confusing, because on the one hand, we're told our bodies were designed to eat meat, how many eons we ate mostly that and all. On the other hand, I read here and there that our bodies need to learn to taking energy from fat. Why would they prefer glucose at all?

Couldn't it be just a problem of people's habits? We'd need to be drastic at the beginning so as not to fall into temptation while we're getting used to eat different foods. Because the change can be quite radical. I mean, I think it's more psychological than anything. But I suppose that's open for debate.

Reactions: Gerony and unstr8

unstr8

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
‘Dirty Keto’ is eating highly processed and convenience foods that meet the keto profile vs. ‘clean’ which is natural and unprocessed foods.

I’ve been ketogenic since July after putting on massive lockdown weight. I’ve lost 40 pounds so far and have another 30 to go to meet my goal around the New Year. I’m eating two meals a day with mostly a big portion of protein and lots of non-starchy veg. You can eat a surprising amount of veg and still stay under 20 net carbs. I weighed stuff for about a week to calibrate my meal sizes and calories. I hit a minimum protein goal per day. I have a maximum net carb limit. Fats act as a lever. The fewer fats you eat, the fewer calories. Most of my fats comes from eggs, nuts/seeds and oily fish. Calories do matter because you have to deficit to lose weight. That weight that comes off initially the first couple weeks is mostly a water shift from the ketones. After that, the most I can realistically lose on an ongoing basis is 2-3 lbs a week going forward. It’s mathematics. Shooting for 10 lbs a month.
Any update after one month?

Reactions: wappingite

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Any update after one month?

Thanks for the interest. I’m at 214.2lbs/ 97.16kg/ 15.3st as of today. My goal is 195 lbs / 88.5 kg. I’m 6’4”/193cm, so that will be well into a healthy BMI (I know a flawed measure but a goal), and a good place to evaluate the next steps. Haha, three measures of weight being in the UK with an international audience on a mostly US site!

19.2 lbs/ 8.71 kg to go, so I’m ahead of schedule for New Years. I’m on my third downsize on trousers, so that’s motivating. It all started when I had to buy larger sized ‘emergency trousers’ online!

This is 95%+ in the kitchen. I have a water rower and dusted it off and using it 3-4 times a week now, but that’s just conditioning.

Last edited:

unstr8

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for the interest. I’m at 214.2lbs/ 97.16kg/ 15.3st as of today. My goal is 195 lbs / 88.5 kg. I’m 6’4”/193cm, so that will be well into a healthy BMI (I know a flawed measure but a goal), and a good place to evaluate the next steps. Haha, three measures of weight being in the UK with an international audience on a mostly US site!

19.2 lbs/ 8.71 kg to go, so I’m ahead of schedule for New Years. I’m on my third downsize on trousers, so that’s motivating. It all started when I had to buy larger sized ‘emergency trousers’ online!

This is 95%+ in the kitchen. I have a water rower and dusted it off and using it 3-4 times a week now, but that’s just conditioning.
Well done. Sometimes we need to see other's progress to motivate our own.

Thank for sharing.

Reactions: wappingite