Kevin Zegers

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
His nude scene in Transamerica is a prime example of why I hate widescreen-only DVDs. It cuts off most of the really good part. Harumph!:mad::rolleyes:

goldeneye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Agreed. Both vertically and horizontally, it's FULL-screen that's not showing you the whole picture. Pan-and-scan not only bites, and not only is it insulting to the viewer by robbing them of the full picture, but it spites the director and cast and crew by cropping the original vision and not displaying all of the hard work they put into every shot. I know so many people who've never seen West Side Story or Scarface or Gone with the Wind or The Wizard of Oz or American Beauty or Ghostbusters or Body Heat or The Godfather or Jaws in widescreen, and with any movie of any grade, from any decade or genre, you are MISSING something with fullscreen pan-and-scan. Everything that's included in each shot is there for a reason, and in full-screen the stuff happening at the fringes on each side is lost. Sometimes it's just a meaningless but very funny piece of business an actor is doing off to the side, and sometimes it's a very meaningful detail that is never referred to in the dialogue but adds something to the scene just by being there. Or sometimes an actor will be on camera speaking an important line and you'll see them, but what you won't see is the equally important reaction of the actor all the way on the other side of the shot, who was cropped out so the full screen shot could pan over to the one who's talking.

Widescreen shots of Transamerica are showing you every inch of Kevin Zegers that was filmed. The poor douchebags watching it in fullscreen likely aren't seeing any naughty bits at all, and it was probably done that way on purpose so it wouldn't have to be recut to air on television.

Reactions: maus77

theheartstripe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All I buy is widescreen movies. One time I went to buy a movie and I meant to pick up the widescreen version but was in a rush and just grabbed one. When I got home and opened it I realized it was full screen. It's horrible having the two versions. I wish they would just get rid of full screen. The only reason they have full screen is because people hate the black bars, which you get used to after a while.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Nope, I'm sorry but reality proves that widescreen cuts off many 'good parts' (dick shots) in movies. Watch Transamerica on HBO in fullscreen and then watch it on the widescreen DVD, you'll find that it indeed cuts off a good portion of his dick shot. Do the same with the movie Jarhead and there is a guy behind Jake Gyllenhaal in the shower scene whose dick shot is cut out in the widescreen version of the movie but visible in the fullscreen version. Other examples are Bruce Willis in Color of Night where he gets up to go take a shower while sitting and wearing only a towel, Richard Gere's open-fly boxers scene in An Officer and a Gentleman, David Duchovny's dick shot in New Year's Day, Christian Bale in his naked, chainsaw-wielding scene, as well as his dick adjustment scene in American Psycho, and the black guy taking a shower in the movie Taps. Only in the movie Single White Female have I ever witnessed widescreen being an advantage in being able to view a dick shot, and it's not in the most obvious dick shot when Steven Weber is getting out of bed (that actually is still better in the fullscreen version) but right after, on the edge of the scene, when he's walking to the dresser to put his clothes on. Luckily, I noticed because it has both formats on the same disc. Those are DVDs that I love the most, because they allow you the best of both worlds.:rolleyes:

goldeneye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've never heard anything like that, and it's really strange. All I can figure is that they shot or cut two entirely different versions of those scenes, because the widescreen version is the version that's seen in the original theatrical release. So by that logic none of those shots you're mentioning were even seen for the first time by the public until TV broadcast or home video release.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I've never heard anything like that, and it's really strange. All I can figure is that they shot or cut two entirely different versions of those scenes, because the widescreen version is the version that's seen in the original theatrical release. So by that logic none of those shots you're mentioning were even seen for the first time by the public until TV broadcast or home video release.

I suppose that's right. Who knows for sure though, I've never seen any of those movies I mentioned in a movie theater.

Yeah, Widescreen is the only way to go. The only, I repeat, only positive Fullscreen has is that it is closer to the action. But still....

I see that you've been banned, but your post puzzles me since it came after my articulation about the drawback to widescreen DVDs above.

Anyway, the reason I bump this thread is to show anyone who might've followed this off-topic discussion some posts by other members in a different thread who also mention that widescreen DVDs often cut out the good stuff from movies. Click here to read the said posts if you'd like.

Groysman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
tumblr_phi0rqvATc1w20fh4o3_400.gif