Lady's DIY.

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My ex husband was brilliant at anything round the house, he was a builder when we got married but had many strings to his bow, he once took me to B&Q to look at wood, it was the most boring half hour of my life :)

LMAO!! Poor Paul's eyes glazed over the first time I took him to "Lowe's"- (think B&Q, 2 or 3 times larger) he couldn't get me out of there- I haven't been able to get him to go back with me, he just leaves me for the afternoon!:confused:

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Love-it, do you have an identical twin brother on the east coast who is single?
(Or two? Gillette)

I have a skinny unmarried brother on the West coast but he has an older lady friend, and two other brothers who are married, and one married sister for those who want to know.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh good lord. I get weak in the knees at the sight of our huge hardware store. I have always been a 'tomboy', but never had anyone to teach me really how to fix things. So I have taught myself, and have more diy manuals than Readers Digest. I'm still pretty crap at most things, and as much as I hate to say it, a 'handy' guy can get the task completed in 1/3 the time it takes me (I'm still reading the instructions). My Paul isn't by nature much of a fix-it guy, but he does try most anything I ask of him, and has (irritatingly!) managed to 'effortlessly' fix things I've struggled with for hours.:rolleyes:
My tool box is finally shaping up, thanks to him. When he came home with a new cordless drill I pondered for hours what to drill holes in.:tongue:
I've replaced the faucets, drain traps, mapped wiring circuits, fixed the fridge, sealed the attic, and am still having fun.:smile:

mmmmmmmmm power tools.........................:biggrin1:
I call them "toolgasms"

Over the years I have had a couple of guys come in with lists of plumbing fittings, etc. and when I question why or what they actually need or are trying to do they get nervous and then admit that I would have to call their wife or girlfriend to get an explanation because they are clueless. I am polite and wait to laugh and/or wonder until they are gone. I have found that quite a few of my lady customers are mechanically, craft, engineering, handywoman oriented and it is fun to talk to them about their projects. And women seem to be a lot more patient and willing to research jobs more thoroughly than men.

I find that having many years of working at different trades has allowed me to second guess what people are trying to explain and I have been exposed to different regional terms for the same items. The example I use is gyp-crete, hard-rock, cement-board, dry-wall, etc. all of which are used for what the locals call sheet-rock.

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Over the years I have had a couple of guys come in with lists of plumbing fittings, etc. and when I question why or what they actually need or are trying to do they get nervous and then admit that I would have to call their wife or girlfriend to get an explanation because they are clueless. I am polite and wait to laugh and/or wonder until they are gone. I have found that quite a few of my lady customers are mechanically, craft, engineering, handywoman oriented and it is fun to talk to them about their projects. And women seem to be a lot more patient and willing to research jobs more thoroughly than men.

I find that having many years of working at different trades has allowed me to second guess what people are trying to explain and I have been exposed to different regional terms for the same items. The example I use is gyp-crete, hard-rock, cement-board, dry-wall, etc. all of which are used for what the locals call sheet-rock.
I call them "toolgasms"

LMAO oh my gosh that is just what I have!!!:biggrin1: "tool-gasms........." *wanders off excitedly to hardware store*

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Home Depot and Lowe's are Mecca to me. I can spend hours in either one.

I have the usual toolbox set including drill, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, dremel, every type of adhesive you can buy, staple gun, saw, etc. I can change a tire, my oil if there's a place to do it, all other fluids, but that's about it with cars. I have a knack for woodworking and solid surfaces. If something goes wrong, I can usually fix it if I have the right tools. If I can't figure it out, i'll ask around, look it up on the net, or go to the bookstore and find a book that tells me what to do. I rewired my light switch and installed a ceiling flush mount with my dad on the phone instructing me what to do, all without being electrocuted. I was quite proud of myself. :biggrin1:

I'm not very adept at fixing computers/electronics. Computer hardware in particular makes me nuts when something goes wrong. I can't seem to fix anything on a computer without spewing obscenities.

Pirate Wench

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I'm motivated enough ....I manage on my own... smaller repair issues and projects.

If it's something bigger, I have a handy man who can fix almost anything and he doesn't charge anything, we just have sex........
Hubby, of course,.....:wink:

I do keep a toolbox in the house that is strictly for use INSIDE.
Hammer
Different sizes screwdrivers
Hex screws
small rubber mallet
picture hanging stuff

Just thought of a joke.......

What a woman needs:
A man who will make her laugh
A man who can fix things around the house
A man who is great with sex
A man who won't lie, cheat, or betray her and loves her.
And a man the other 4 don't know about.

LOL

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Home Depot and Lowe's are Mecca to me. I can spend hours in either one.

I have the usual toolbox set including drill, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers, dremel, every type of adhesive you can buy, staple gun, saw, etc. I can change a tire, my oil if there's a place to do it, all other fluids, but that's about it with cars. I have a knack for woodworking and solid surfaces. If something goes wrong, I can usually fix it if I have the right tools. If I can't figure it out, i'll ask around, look it up on the net, or go to the bookstore and find a book that tells me what to do. I rewired my light switch and installed a ceiling flush mount with my dad on the phone instructing me what to do, all without being electrocuted. I was quite proud of myself. :biggrin1:

I'm not very adept at fixing computers/electronics. Computer hardware in particular makes me nuts when something goes wrong. I can't seem to fix anything on a computer without spewing obscenities.

oh lord. computers....*eyes glaze over* I like to take them apart and put them together in my sleep, in my awake, in any time at all, I love them..:wink: but I still spew obscenities.:tongue: I have such a collection of reference magazines, one might think I am OCD..welll....mebbe a little.......:redface:

I love it when friends call and I give them phone support..dont love it so much when they try to fix their computer themselves before calling me. Its not like I charge them anything!! But, they're guys, want to see if they can do it first. Thats great, so I can call them, since I am just not good with the electrics at all. I have done some out of necessity, but if someone makes a buzzing sound near me I jump out of my skin- even tho I know I flipped the master breaker. My poppet isn't at all familiar with the different electrics in this country, but he is a quick learner.

oh gosh Bliss I know you treasure your dad!! I wish I'd had mine growing up more, to show me this stuff... and wish I could still call him for advice when I have a socket in one hand and an extra distributor wire in the other!!!:rolleyes:

shit. I wanna build something or go drill a hole in the wall.:cool:

pavement

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
oh lord. computers....*eyes glaze over* I like to take them apart and put them together in my sleep, in my awake, in any time at all, I love them..:wink: but I still spew obscenities.:tongue: I have such a collection of reference magazines, one might think I am OCD..welll....mebbe a little.......:redface:

I love it when friends call and I give them phone support..dont love it so much when they try to fix their computer themselves before calling me. Its not like I charge them anything!! But, they're guys, want to see if they can do it first. Thats great, so I can call them, since I am just not good with the electrics at all. I have done some out of necessity, but if someone makes a buzzing sound near me I jump out of my skin- even tho I know I flipped the master breaker. My poppet isn't at all familiar with the different electrics in this country, but he is a quick learner.

oh gosh Bliss I know you treasure your dad!! I wish I'd had mine growing up more, to show me this stuff... and wish I could still call him for advice when I have a socket in one hand and an extra distributor wire in the other!!!:rolleyes:

shit. I wanna build something or go drill a hole in the wall.:cool:
Once repairing an old computer saw a flash. a puff of acrid smoke

That was 1 motherboard that was definitely running to hot :)

3664shaken

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wow you are all awesome,

My toolbag consists of a cell phone and a phonebook. LOL

I just have absolutely no interest in fixing things so I either sweet talk a guy into it or I call a professional. Yes I am that person who calls a plumber to fix a dripping faucet.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow you are all awesome,

My toolbag consists of a cell phone and a phonebook. LOL

I just have absolutely no interest in fixing things so I either sweet talk a guy into it or I call a professional. Yes I am that person who calls a plumber to fix a dripping faucet.

LM blooming AO!!!

You nicked my response!!!

I have just read through the whole thread and decided on my 'mobile phone and phone book ' reply ages ago :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

YAY!! Thank god I'm not the only one... :rolleyes:

Tristessa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
My mother said never trust a man that can't change his own oil. Then she made sure I learned to do it myself. Can do basic auto maintenance, but nothing too serious.

I like power tools. Granted, I mostly use them on art projects and 3D design, but I can do anything around the house myself short of rewiring sockets or something similar . . and I could probably figure that out if I had to.