Lebron James Thread

lowball

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ya, it really is the end of an era. Least I live in Miami, people keep telling me that supposed to be consolation, not working though. I'll be a Cleveland fan until the day I DIE!!!

simbasa12

Experimental Member
Media
I am curious why anyone would want to live in Cleveland? I was in Columbus Ohio once...worst weekend of my life. My advice to anyone living in Ohio? Move.

Did anyone really think this guy would stay? No way in hell he was staying but he didn't want to come off as an asshole to his disciples, so to still consider Cleveland was played up.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am curious why anyone would want to live in Cleveland? I was in Columbus Ohio once...worst weekend of my life. My advice to anyone living in Ohio? Move.

Did anyone really think this guy would stay? No way in hell he was staying but he didn't want to come off as an asshole to his disciples, so to still consider Cleveland was played up.

He's FROM there. Not exactly Cleveland but a half an hour away. LBJ just tarnished whatever his legacy is going to end up.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just saw on television that a former fan just burned his LBJ jersey. That seems a bit pathetic. I'm no great fan of Cleveland or Miami in terms of places i would want to call home, but for tax purposes alone, I think I would have chosen Miami also.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's the fact that he's a superstar thats a local kid in a town that's had so many stomach punches in it's sporting history. Plus Cleveland is struggling economically and he brought in a lot money into the city just by his presence.

He grew up in Akron. An hour away from Cleveland and basically gave an Eff you to the city, the Cleveland fans, and his home state. By announcing on national TV he was leaving without notifying anyone including Dan Gilbert the owner of the Cavaliers.

Like I dont have an issue with him signing with the Heat. He just did it in a very sleazy way. Jerking the fans and the media around for a 2 solid months.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To my knowledge on this subject (which is limited, I only started following this story last night) he was a free agent and his contract with Cleveland had expired and he was free to sign with another team. I don't find anything wrong with someone doing what is best for their career and life. Maybe the television venue was not the best choice. But in terms of the sleaze factor; I've seen so much worse.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like I dont have an issue with him signing with the Heat. He just did it in a very sleazy way. Jerking the fans and the media around for a 2 solid months.

Agreed. He also comes across as extremely soft. He basically admitted by signing with Miami that he can't be the 'man', he's just a sidekick. He's not the "King", just a fraud masquerading as one.

And ESPN needs to do their job and start reporting about Delonte West banging Lebron's mom. To me, that was a big reason for him leaving and yet they keep trying to hide it.

But in terms of the sleaze factor; I've seen so much worse.
I can't think of a single free agent in sports history who comes across with less class than Lebron did during this whole situation.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I saw about the hour special on ESPN, and my only thought was- Who gives a fuck? Not even Michael Jordan had hour long specials on ESPN- who the fuck does Lebron James think he is? Besides, NBA is quickly falling to second tier status in American sports, along with NHL.

D_Wally Walnuts

Experimental Member
Media

^This. It's like having your girlfriend leave you for someone else and she brings a camera crew to get the last of her belongings.

Just get your shit and go.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I saw about the hour special on ESPN, and my only thought was- Who gives a fuck? Not even Michael Jordan had hour long specials on ESPN- who the fuck does Lebron James think he is? Besides, NBA is quickly falling to second tier status in American sports, along with NHL.

You got to blame the NBA partially about this as well as the sports media for bringing daily attention to this story. It was their Anna Nicole Smith moment and they milked it out to the very end. LeBron could have asked for his own movie deal, but it's up to the people pulling the switches to give him the airtime.

With that said... Miami?
That potentially makes the southern "big three". LeBron, Wade and Bosh. Sounds amazing on paper if you compare the stats, but can the egos co-exist with one another and make it happen?

simbasa12 said:

Not sure about Columbus, but I'm planning a weekend with two of my nieces and nephews to Sandusky. Between indoor water parks, the Museum of Chocolate and Cedar Point, there's plenty of things to do out there! Alas, when I tell people that we have to fly to Cleveland to get there you can only imagine the looks and stares.

Where are you going on vacation this year? We're going to CLEVELAND!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

I was waiting for the musical tribute to start at the end. I kept thinking I'd hear on one of the commercial breaks: "next, stay tuned for Jayzee, Beyonce and lil Wayne..."

hung9mike

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He also comes across as extremely soft. He basically admitted by signing with Miami that he can't be the 'man', he's just a sidekick. He's not the "King", just a fraud masquerading as one.
I think he realized that after 7 years in Cleveland, he would never have the supporting cast there that would help him win a championship. What effort did Cleveland make during the offseason to try to improve its team? His Cavaliers teams were always beaten in the playoffs by more talented, well-coached teams than his. Give the guy some credit. He could have stayed in Cleveland and made a lot more money. But a fat wallet, a few more MVP trophies, some scoring titles, and lots of free time in May and June would be all he would have gained during his career if he had stayed there.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think he realized that after 7 years in Cleveland, he would never have the supporting cast there that would help him win a championship. What effort did Cleveland make during the offseason to try to improve its team? His Cavaliers teams were always beaten in the playoffs by more talented, well-coached teams than his. Give the guy some credit. He could have stayed in Cleveland and made a lot more money. But a fat wallet, a few more MVP trophies, some scoring titles, and lots of free time in May and June would be all he would have gained during his career if he had stayed there.

Well, that, and the undying adulation of Clevelanders- both living there and expats. Tony Gwynn stayed with the San Diego Padres for his ENTIRE career. One of the best pure hitters in the history of baseball- he never got a WS trophy- but he is a fucking legend in San Diego. He could do no wrong in our eyes. For so many years the Padres were just terrible, yet he stuck with us. Money and trophies werent the only things he cared about. People like Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken, JR, etc are the REAL sports role models, not the money grubbing, fame hungry whores in the NBA.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dear Cleveland,

I was born there and have lived more than half my life away from there. Give it up. You're a pathetic, loser city that is a laughing stock around the country.

Even the name of the city sounds stupid.

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Never have enough help? Consider this, in 2008-2009 Antawn Jamison averaged 22.2ppg, Mo Williams 17.8ppg, and Shaq 17.8ppg.

So let me get this straight, Lebron James had three guys on his team this past year who all averaged at least 17ppg the previous season. To say Lebron didn't have enough help is a flat out lie. The fact is he couldn't get it done. He couldn't make those around him better or at the very least as good as they were with previous teams. He is a fraud. He had a ton of help. He just didn't know what to do with it.

And also, this isn't directed at you but the media in general, can we cut the bullshit that LeBron turned down more money? The fact is he will make more money in Miami for the next five years than he would have made in Cleveland. News Headlines

One can argue about that last year, but we have no idea what the new CBA so to say he will make more in his 6th year in Cleveland than if he left for Miami is nothing but assumptions at this point.

EDIT: He actually would have probably opted out that last year anyways similar to guys like Paul Pierce and Dirk anyways. Nobody really plays out the final year of their contract if they have a player option anyways because it makes more sense for financial security to sign a new contract for 3-4 years.

Last edited:

batista30

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know if anyone on here cares about the free agency deals going on in basketball right now but wanted to hear opinions on Lebron.

I am not a fan of cleveland, but personally feel Lebron shouldn't have played his cards like this. I've come to several conclusions:

1. He has a "chosen 1" tattoo on his back. I've never seen anyone calling himself/herself the chosen 1 leaving to become a sidekick.
2. Calls himself "King James". Ever know of a king that left his kingdom?
3. Wore jordan's number as a sign of respect and attempted to imitate him. Jordan would never have done this in his prime.
4. Lebron said this was a very hard decision and didn't know until the day of "the decision" where he wanted to play. It turns out Chris Bosh had a freudian slip at the welcoming party in Miami saying, "we have waited for months for this"
5. Ignoring the new head coach Bryon Scott at the nike mini camps

Many more things that I feel he handled wrong, but it's obvious to me that his mind was made up a while ago. Cleveland should feel wronged and crushed. Lebron stating that this is a business is not good enough of an answer if you consider yourself the great king james. Lastly, he stated going to Miami gives "him" the best chance to win a title. Well, what do you think the hardcore fans of Cleveland wanted?

I'm done venting. What do you think.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
If he had just left, it would have been okay. If he had just called a press conference and said, "I'm going to Miami. Bye." It would have been fine. But, the hour long TV special was taking it too far. That was just a dick move.