Led Zepp

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my absolute favorite band of all time...

the breadth and scope of their music is incredible. virtually every album was stacked wall to wall with not just good tunes, but *AWESOME* tunes...one after another. the last band that truly made album-oriented rock, not just music to be culled as singles and the rest of a mediocre album to be discarded.

there have been few truly legendary bands, but IMO, Zeppelin's combo tops everyone, even the Beatles who i love. In terms of influence, nobody is bigger than the Beatles, but when you combine the range of musical styles, the live performances, the musical virtuousity, the sheer power and outright mystique, Zeppelin to me, is incomparable

thoughts?

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
I was at Knebworth on 11th August 1979 - thirty years ago next month! The last gig that they played with Bonzo. Awesome. I still remember walking through the woods to the sounds of Kashmir and Trampled Underfoot.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was at Knebworth on 11th August 1979 - thirty years ago next month! The last gig that they played with Bonzo. Awesome. I still remember walking through the woods to the sounds of Kashmir and Trampled Underfoot.

lucky bastard!

i was almost 8 years old at the time...unfortunately. :redface:

I have seen vids of the Knebworth set...i was lucky to see Page/Plant in 1998, but i do not imagine it compares to the real thing of seeing them at their peak, back in 1973-1975

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
They're certainly up there for me as well.

I think what made them unique is that while other bands of their era drew primarily on the electrified, Chicago blues of the 1940s and 50s, Zeppelin went farther back and deeper South, mining the rural country blues of the early 20th century, and finding common ground between that and the old English folk ballads.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They're certainly up there for me as well.

I think what made them unique is that while other bands of their era drew primarily on the electrified, Chicago blues of the 1940s and 50s, Zeppelin went farther back and deeper South, mining the rural country blues of the early 20th century, and finding common ground between that and the old English folk ballads.

very true.

they took hard rock, and not only explored the delta blues, but also, moroccan music, celtic folk, and fused them together...

the variety of their music is what is so staggering...how they could switch from heavy blues, (Since I've Been Loving you) to hard rock, to soft folk (That's The Way) to beautiful instrumentals (Bron Y-Aur) to a a type of rock-reggae (Dyer Maker) to exotic sounds (Kashmir) to almost Celtic rock (Ramble On)...on top of that, their ability to play some of the hardest rock and literally the invention of the heavy rock riff, is simply unrivalled.

if you think of the best rock "riffs" it begins primarily with Zeppelin...think of their major "riffs" from these songs: (to name just a few)

Communication Breakdown
Whole Lotta Love
What Is and What Should Never Be
Heartbreaker
Bring It On Home
Ramble On
Black Dog
Rock and Roll
Four Sticks
Over The Hills and Far Away
Dyer Maker
the OCean

they are immediately recognizable in three seconds...

Jimmy PAge is to me, the greatest rock guitarist ever, no contest...there have been others who are awesome guitarists, who i love, like Hendrix and Clapton, who have different styles, but Jimmy PAge is the father of the popular heavy rock riff...his guitar literally snarls the riff when you listen to it come in, like Ramble On, The Ocean, Bring It on Home etc...

i love it more than anything

and Robert Plant, IMO, before he lost it, had perhaps the best voice in rock.

not to mention, IMO, Bonham and JPJ were the best rhythm section in the history of rock...(though Black Sabbath fans might disagree)

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to throw birthday parties for Jimmy Page and John Bonham in middle school...ah those were the days. For every weekend in 7th and 8th grade we got drunk every friday and saturday night at my best bud's parent's house, watched The Song Remains the Same, called over a couple shams (girls) and then of course didn't get much more than a make out session so watched his dad's playboy channel and beat off. Bonham's drums used to reverberate in my chest when we blasted it.

Ahh the great summer that youth is...

D

deleted136887

they don't make them like that anymore. Good post Flashy

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm a big Zeppelin fan and just wanted to mention these songs as well:

Dazed and Confused
Achilles Last Stand
Moby Dick

They're gods!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a big Zeppelin fan and just wanted to mention these songs as well:

Dazed and Confused
Achilles Last Stand
Moby Dick

They're gods!

well, obviously there are tons more great ones :wink:

but they are indeed the gods of rock.

I think that most random people know a couple of their big tunes...but if people delve deeper, there is so much more beneath the surface...

to me, as much as i love all the big songs, so many of the more obscure ones are just as amazing, and they will never be known or appreciated by the casual passing listener who doesn't go beyond Stairway or Black Dog...

songs like:

The Rain Song (an all time fave of mine 1 of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard in my life and LZ's most beautiful IMO, just edging out That's The Way, Tangerine, Going To California, Bron Yr-Aur)
What Is and What Should Never Be (completely awesome)
Hey Hey What Can I Do (awesome)
TRavelling Riverside Blues ( A*W*E*S*O*M*E)
White Summer/Black Mountainside (Page alone, and awesome.)
Bron Y Aur Stomp (totally underrated tune, has a country feel to it, so great)
OVer th Hills and Far Away (one of their greatest)
Sick Again (so cool, so underrated)
Out On The Tiles (most underrated tune on Led Zeppelin III IMO)
Custard Pie (one of the best overtly sexual rock tunes ever)
Battle Of Evermore (mythical and brilliant...dark and complex)
Song remains the Same (amazing)
The Crunge (has anybody seen the bridge?...so awesome)
No Quarter (so dark, so awesome...sinister and foreboding)
In The Light (love the almost pschedelic melody and then alternating)
Ten Years Gone (so amazing, epic)
Four Sticks (one of their hardest most underrated tunes...absolutely love it)
Nobody's Fault But Mine (PAge's Guitar on this is so amazing, the extended solos are just hard as nails)

and for those who have never heard them, two of my favorites are the very early unreleased gems (well it was unreleased on original albums, but they have been around for a while on BBC Sessions etc) are called "Sunshine Woman" and The Girl I Love (She's Got Long Black Wavy Hair) are really stripped down, jammin around in the studio tunes from very early in their career (1969)...in it you can hear how much power they had even early on...no matter how raw...

(here are links if you have never heard these two tunes...if you have not, *LISTEN*!)

sunshine woman

YouTube - #36 - The Nobs - 03-16-69 - Sunshine Woman

The Girl I Love

YouTube - Led Zeppelin -The Girl I love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair

AWESOME!!!

they truly have the most staggering collection of great tunes...and by that, i mean of the highest quality...not the kind of tunes you can skip over on the CD player...

the funniest thing, is that their last two albums, when they had nothing left in the tank, and PAge was a shadow and addicted to heroin to the point where he barely even contributed to In Through The Out Door, there are still tunes, even on those last two albums, that were, even though they were poor by LZ standards, are still decent and listenable, and still better than what passes for hits from most other bands...

(tunes like: South Bound Saurez, Darlene, Fool In The Rain, All My Love)

top to bottom, i think only the Beatles put out more high quality tunes, top to bottom album to album....the difference, was all the Beatles tunes, as much as i love them, were relatively similar, (this is not a bad thing) and their range sort of ended with the lighter psychedelic stuff like I am the Walrus...which was utterly brilliant

Led Zeppelin's quality goes throught an unmatched range of styles, genres, rythms melodies, etc...soft, slow, medium, hard, fast...they could do it all.

there is nobody else like them, and never will be again. :biggrin1:

they are simply incomparable...(though i do completely love the other top bands like the Beatles, Stones, Who, etc.)

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
well, obviously there are tons more great ones :wink:

but they are indeed the gods of rock.

I think that most random people know a couple of their big tunes...but if people delve deeper, there is so much more beneath the surface...

My usual first reaction, when asked to name my favorite song of all time, is When the Levee Breaks.

they are simply incomparable...(though i do completely love the other top bands like the Beatles, Stones, Who, etc.)

I have a friend who said that most music lovers either love Zeppelin or the Who -- but not both. But that doesn't apply to me either.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also really like the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album, for what that's worth.

yes, it is excellent. They complement each other very well...I love their version of "Killing The Blues".

IMO, Plant's solo career is totally underrated as well...he deserves alot of credit IMO...how many other lead singers of massive bands have had success on a par that he has? he was able to make a separate legacy for himself, which is not easy at all.

IMO, Plant has the most beautiful voice in rock. it is the Celtic accent, how smooth and soft it can be, then it can go all the way up to a klaxon like shriek...when you listen to his very early days, his range was rather astounding...granted, time and cigarrettes caught up with him fast...his voice was destroyed on tour all those years, and when you listen to Zeppelin bootlegs, the performances one day to the next are so uneven, because of the strain on his voice.

but when you listen to him on the Krauss album, and you listen to his beautiful tunes like All The Kings Horses...and going all the way back to his version of Sea Of Love with the Honeydrippers (which IMO is the best version ever of that tune, better than the original) you realize how beautiful his voice is...

if i had to imagine a scenario where i had one chance to impress the woman of my dreams, by singing a beautiful song, and had to choose the voice i'd sing with, it would be Plant's. It is like honey.

I do not know if you have heard "All The Kings Horses" but it is one of his most beautiful IMO...