Led Zepp

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My usual first reaction, when asked to name my favorite song of all time, is When the Levee Breaks.

I have a friend who said that most music lovers either love Zeppelin or the Who -- but not both. But that doesn't apply to me either.

yes, i love Levee too...but i could never pick and choose among Zepp tunes...i just love them all. they are simply epic.

as for your friend, that is interesting...i always heard it as the choice was most people felt that way about The Who and The Stones...after all, they came up at the same time...they were both the rabble rousers who were trying to fill the gap after the Beatles. They were both naughtier than the Beatles. The Who were a "Mods", while The Stones were more R&B, though the Who later became full on rock and ultimately much harder than the Stones, who remained in R&B and then went more into Soul towards the end.

The Who and Stones were generally the rivals...The Stones 1st Album came out in '64, and the Who's 1st album came out in '65.

Zepp did not release their first till 1969.

for me, LZ is my favorite, but i really love the Who and the Stones as well...just not as much as i love Zepp

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of my favorite songs is a lesser-know song called "Achilles' Last Stand". It's one of their longest joints at over 10:00. It is said to be the first "speed metal" song...all in all, this one fucking rocks!

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
no, it is actually on one of his most recent...i'll pm it to you :biggrin1:

have you heard is other solo stuff from the 80s and 90s?

Sure -- I have a couple of his solo albums, and Honeydrippers EP ... from 1980 to the present, in my opinion, not too many people have a better body of work.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of my favorite songs is a lesser-know song called "Achilles' Last Stand". It's one of their longest joints at over 10:00. It is said to be the first "speed metal" song...all in all, this one fucking rocks!

very true...but it is only lesser known among the "masses"...true Zep fans like you and me and others know it well. :wink:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
another interesting song, that makes me rather sad to hear, is the song that Jimmy PAge completed and released later on in 1985 with the Firm...it was called "Midnight Moonlight"

it is so close to being awesome...mostly because it was written in its first configuration for LEd Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, in 1975. But it is missing something...since Page did not finish it till 1984, with The Firm and PAul Rodgers on vocals and lyrics, you can hear greatness, but it just misses...

i have a feeling had Page completed it in 1975, it would have been epic with Plant's singing and lyrics.

if you have not heard it, it was originally called "Swan Song" when Page first wrote it in 1975...

here is just the audio from the Physical Graffiti sessions

it is just epic...you can hear the possibility of greatness...the genius behind LZ at the time.

YouTube - Led Zeppelin Swan song from Physical Rareitites

here is a longer version, with the second part from the same sessions

YouTube - Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti Outtake *Swan Song*

and then what it finally became "Midnight Moonlight" with the Firm

YouTube - The Firm/Jimmy Page - Midnight

still a great tune, but imagine had it been completed in 1975 with Zeppelin, with Bonham, JPJ and Plant's lyrics and voice :frown1: