lexapro and ejaculation delay

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by NYCdude, Dec 17, 2008.

1. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Hey all I've recently been put on Lexapro which has been working wonders for anxiety, I don't want to go off it but one of the side effects is ejaculation delay, which got to the point where I had to "fake" an orgasm the other night when with a girl that should have otherwise provided no problem. Anyone have any experience with this? Does it subside? Then again, I might not have gotten the girl a month ago without the medication...

2. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

Yep, happened to me too when I was put on it a few months ago. I went back to the Dr. and told him it was unacceptable. Not only that, but it was giving me other side effects. So I was put on this other stuff that doesn't cause those problems for me.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

I was on Lexapro for about 2 years. It brought my desire for sex and ability back. Prozac had killed my sex drive totally. But Lexapro made reaching orgasm difficult to say the least. :redface: I much prefer Effexor XR for depression. I have desire and I can even have multiples. :biggrin1:

4. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

I've heard bad things about Effexor, but it's what my pharmacist recommended to ween myself off of my current stuff, and eventually of any pills for good. Currently I'm on Pristiq. I've got a checkup on Friday and I know my Dr. will tell me that I need to stay on the pills. When I try to quit, I get extremely dizzy. :frown1:

5. B_BigBentTree

B_BigBentTree New Member

Very common side effect friend. In fact, all the SSRIs and most other psychiatric drugs have this side effect called "anorgasmia." Welbutrin (Buproprion) is a similar medication, while more commonly prescribed for clinical depression, has similar efficacy as lexapro but rarely any sexual side effects. Next time you meet with your doc tell him what problem's you're having and ask him about other options.

6. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

I don't have a delayed reaction while just jackin it, but I can go for hours during sex before I orgasm.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

Your pharmacist recommended it, not your psychiatrist? I never heard of Pristiq.

You CANNOT quit Effexor cold turkey! Your doctor must help you to wean yourself from this drug. People have had heart attacks and strokes from stopping Effexor cold turkey. :frown1:

I couldn't stand Wellbutrin it made me agitated depressed.

8. whattheduck

whattheduck New Member

prozac has not affected my ejaculation or sex drive.

lexapro did. i found it harder to get off both during sex and during masturbation, and was relieved when i was able to go off the medicine.

9. Nudesouth

Nudesouth New Member

Albums:
    I have found when on Lexapro my orgasms were so much better than before. I now believe I was so uptight I could not even enjoy my own cum. The drug allowed me to feel more of a build up and a huge release. I did have a delay but it mainly gave me the staying power I needed.

The other problem is I became louder than my wife in bed which concerned her. I'm off of it now but man would not have a problem going back on. My mood was also much improved and even.

10. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Yeah that's the thing I feel great and have no other desire to go off lexapro..

11. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

My psych hadn't recommended anything for me, my Doc put me on the Pristiq and I was encouraged to see a psych while on it. The pharmacist just mentioned Effexor as an alternative, and available in a weaker dose (Pristiq only comes in 50mg minimum).

Nobody I have talked to has heard of Pristiq, it's some new stuff on the market.

12. D_Vita_Mee_Tavegamin

D_Vita_Mee_Tavegamin Account Disabled

Yeah ,
    Pristiq is the newest anti-depressant ~ mainly thought only to be different from the others in cost.

13. D_Raymond Handler

D_Raymond Handler Account Disabled

I have been on Lexapro for over a year. I have not thought about a correlation, but I find I cum in smaller amounts and don't shoot as far as I used to. Anyone else had that reaction?

14. mdlindqu

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is my experience also:biggrin1:

15. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

how, you being a male, did you fake an "orgasm"? my wife says she can feel me shoot my hot load, and even if I pull out, it's going somewhere

16. eggcrate

eggcrate Member

Pristiq is made by the manufacturer of effexor, and is very similar chemically to effexor XR

17. Ross1

Ross1 New Member

Any SSRI or SNRI medication has the potential to cause these sexual side effects. Everyone responds differently and sometimes it takes trial and error of different meds and at different dosages. I had practically given up on SSRIs due to experiencing a complete inability to ejaculate. Then my doctor put me on Lexapro but instead of the usual starting dose of 10 mg, he tried me on 2.5 mgs. At this dosage, the drug has actually been effective at reducing anxiety and depressive symptoms, yet at the same time I have not experienced the same degree of sexual side effects, still some, but nowhere near as bad.

On the subject of Wellbutrin. This drug does not reduce libido or orgasmic ability in any way, if anything it can have the opposite effect. But beware, Wellbrutrin is strictly an anti-depressant. It is a very "activating" anti-depressant and for some people it can cause insomnia, agitation, irritability, and and anxiety. I tried it several years ago. It gave me the libido of a 16 y/o but also the rage of a 16 y/o. I had to stop taking it when I was in a state of constant irritabilty and anxiety from it.

18. jodude

jodude New Member

Albums:
    Yep, same thing.

I hate the fact that it takes me ages to squirt. I recently went off celapram (similar to lexapro) for a few weeks. Man, aside from the horrible come down, my sex drive exploded and when I jacked off, wow...my cock was almost yelling out "dude, dude, thank you soooo much"

But, I'm back on - but taking a half to hopefully give me what I need, and still be able to enjoy a healthy sex drive.

Oh and effexor - that shit is badass. I was put on it and got to the 4th day and told my doc I wanted off it. It gave me weird side effects, turned me into a zombie and also gave me vertigo.

19. blacklibran1

blacklibran1 New Member

I too have ben taking lexapro for about 4 years off and on ..I know I should be more consistent but anyway when I take it I find that yes ejaculation is delayed considerably but when I do orgasm its so intense and I dribble out before I actually shoot! Its pretty cool! Quite a sight to behold

20. spliffman

spliffman New Member

iv been on it for over a year and it gets worse you can get a nut every 7 days but the pill works so what do you do

Draft saved Draft deleted