Lunar Eclipse tonight

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Just been outside with the dog - it's foggy - but I can still see the moon - I may catch the start - not sure I'm up for staying awake til 6.09 though! :rolleyes: Inconsiderate bloody celestial body alignment!! Pandering to a US audience :biggrin:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its one of the best examples of an optical illusion. Some people swear it is bigger in the sky when it is by the horizon. But in fact, the moon never changes size in our skyline (nor does the sun) near the horizon. It is just that it appears near terrestrial objects so it looks bigger. You are not used to seeing it near buildings, houses, or trees. If you hold your hand out at arms length, your finger nail will probably cover it, or it is about the size of an advil held between your fingers at arms length. Wait a few hours until it is overhead and looking small, then measure again...no size change. :cool:

Skull,
I always thought that the moon looking bigger on the horizon had to do with the index of refraction of the atmosphere. When the moon is on the horizon, its image is coming through lots of curved atmosphere before it gets to you.

However, I don't stand by this notion, and if you know that it is just a horizon illusion, I am willing to go with that.

yurkon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just asking, Skull nailed it. If you can, do as he suggests with your arm extended and hold your thumb out like painters are portayed (sp) as doing. Don't even make a big deal about it. Do it some night, then eventually you'll see the moon near the horizon or a harvest moon and do it again. You, as I was, will be surprised. Actually, I still am. When it looks big on the horizon, I get my thumb out and think, "it's gonna be way bigger than my thumb" and it isn't. I still re-convince myself of this when ever a harvest moon is to be seen.

yurkon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've been watching too much history channel... Last night they had on the show "universe" a neat thing about the sun and mentioned solar maximums and we are supposed to get a severe one in 2012, similar to the one in 1859. Could really mess up communications for a while. Should be interesting. Also, last month they did a show about "the end of the world" and looked into all the past forseers, Nostrodomos and the like. For Nost, 2012, for the Myan's their calendar also stops at 2012. Just thought it interesting that year kept popping up. Love that channel.

I said myan, but it could be inca's. Now I gotta know...

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I need Moses to come and part the clouds........they are thick and getting thicker by the minute. It looks like snow is coming, I guess I will miss this eclipse.
:damnit1:
yeah, same out here on the east coast.. it's 28 degrees and last time I checked, it was snowing pretty good - guess I'll have to google the images tomorrow. :mad: D'OH!!!!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In North America the total lunar eclipse occurs:
Newfoundland — 11:30 p.m. - 12:21 a.m.
Atlantic — 11:00 - 11:51 p.m.
Eastern — 10:00 - 10:51 p.m.
Central — 9:00 - 9:51 p.m.
Mountain — 8:00 - 8:51 p.m.
Pacific — 7:00 - 7:51 p.m.
The partial stages 1.25 hours prior and following are also interesting to observe. Saturn is supposed to be visible to the left of the moon.

was sunny earlier today... now overcast... seen em before though... kinda cool.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well - there's a nip out of it already from what I can see through the fog - which ain't that bad.

The dog took one look at and and bolted back inside - straight to his basket and keeps glowering at me as if it is my fucking fault!! Why do animals hate an eclipse?

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, tonight we are in the coastal fog. So thanks to new_n_curious for the link to the cam. It's beautiful. I've seen it in person before. It's spectacular live...