Materialism fueling depression

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by august86, Nov 11, 2011.

1. august86

august86 Member

Albums:
    With just over a month to Christmas, consumerism and spending is about to hit overdrive, which had me thinking about one's relationship with that which our money buys and it's effect on our mental health.

One doesn't always realise that it really is a relationship, be it a good one where you're continually buying more and more stuff, or whether it's a bad one where you neglect your stuff.

From what I've been reading, both of these "relationship statuses" can be bad for one's mental health and fuel depression.

Kinda "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, I guess.

So what's your relationship status with your 'stuff'? and does it stress you out, either wanting the new model or the fact that your old model has been sitting idle for almost 12 months?

Five things everybody needs to know about materialism

Ironically, none of these sites tell you to stop buying stuff or to buy more stuff as a solution, it seems more a case of setting one's mental state at ease.

2. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    “The things you own, end up owning you”
    - Tyler Durden

Pretty much sums it up

3. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am in the mode of simplifying my life and that includes the value of material things. Less is more in my book. I have went through the phase of wanting new gadgets and at the end of the day what did it really bring me? (nothing) Probably the last thing I purchased was a new 55" plasma tv and a high end surround sound system. But that was 3 years ago.

At don't try to fuck with me "Prince Auggie"....:bryce:

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I love people and use things, and am not in acquisition mode. The things I have, I'm not especially attached to, and if they were taken from me I'd find a way to make do.

New stuff? Ipods = bullshit.
    IPhones = bullshit.
    Overpriced computers with features other than those necessary to use them in communicating with others = bullshit.
    50 inch televisions = bullshit.
    This year's model usually = bullshit.
    Christmas (and other holiday) excess = bullshit.

People need to know I love them, and giving them things is a worse than shitty substitute for being actively involved in their lives.

This thing of materialism breeding depression, yes, hell yes, it does. I see it all over, every Christmas, and it's been that way for years. Thanks for bringing it up.

5. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

When I was a kid, my parents bought us several gifts at Christmas. They were not extravagant, and they did not go into debt. Christmas was a happy time. It was spent with family, and enjoying the celebration. I do not indulge in the extreme materialism. I do not overdo parties or exhibit fake sentiments towards relatives I do not see on a regular basis. My Christmas budget for 6 adults, and 2 children is under $50 (I know where to shop). Everybody gets something they like, and nobody feels depressed. I am not stressed about it.

I cannot afford a leather tit squeezer for hickboy. So, I just squeeze them with my hands.

#5 D_Bob_Crotchitch, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

:love:

7. D_Bob_Crotchitch

:laughing:

8. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am a proud minimalist, and it really makes others angry. It seem to threaten their notion that the accumulation of things will make us happy.

Let them buy to the gadgets stick out of their ears. Though, remember to feel sorry for them since they are slaves to things, very much like an obese person is to food. :biggrin1:

For most, it is always about learning lessons the hard way.

9. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:

I am proud of you, buddy. :wink: You're so much better (i.e., happier) for it in the long run.

(Note: I am not a minimalist between my legs)

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

I am so into materialism that I have an 18 yr old truck, and my cell phone still has an antenna. Oooo my tv has a picture tube. :laughing:

The Smithsonian just called me. They want my jock strap for an exhibit. It is so old, it was the second one Bike ever produced.

#10 D_Bob_Crotchitch, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  11. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well hell you need to be on the History Channel.....haha

12. D_Bob_Crotchitch

I really should. I've had hair on my nuts longer than some of these peeps have been alive.
    BTW, some of you need to shave. The pretend beard/mustache you think looks sexy is identical to what grows around my bunghole.

13. jojolongdong

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Seems like we're all in agreement.
    No voices of dissension.....yet ! :smile:

14. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Some of your cantankerousness might fall away if you took my dick out of your mouth and breathed.

15. D_Bob_Crotchitch

Sad. Really Sad. You need to go to counseling so you won't like less than a man for being my big ole bottom. You know you were made for me. I love the way you squeel when you get piggy. (squeezes hickboy girls big ole titties. mmmm One is more than two hands can hold.).

16. ConanTheBarber

Gold Member

Better cut your nails or you'll have silicone up your nose.

I don't think I'm particularly materialistic.
    Have no car.
    Need to use computers to work -- but always buy refurb guvmint 'puters.
    I do want a smartphone, though. Could pay for itself fairly quickly in my work, I think.

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Make love to me, Montag!

18. D_Bob_Crotchitch

Let us go out behind the barn for a while my beauty. Then, we'll go into the hey loft for a lesson in animal husbandry. :biggrin1:

19. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I find materialism and excess bad in general. I like to be comfortable, with a roof over my head - but, I don't need or desire a mansion that will require effort to maintain. I'm not against money, but I don't like the stranglehold it puts on people. Let's pretend I own that mansion. To leave me with some free-time, I decide to hire a cleaner. That means more expense, forcing me to keep earning money. Then, I find the need to buy things just to fill the never-used, empty rooms of my mansion. Others see my wealth and judge me if I'm not using all the latest technology and wearing the latest fashion. All this cost brings me stress and as a result, I become depressed. At the other end of the spectrum, the poor can hardly afford to eat while I sit watching TV - it's not fair. My cleaner works harder than me (in physical terms) and still struggles to feed her family on the wages I pay. I can't afford to pay them more because I have a mansion to pay for. Constantly living on the financial edge, depression is constantly knocking at the door of that cleaner - all because of money and the basic need for it. If I had bought a smaller home, I could pay them more and we would all be happy. It's a pain.

I'm forced to keep spending my money on basic things because of the greed of others. I don't have a phone (mobile or otherwise) - I like the peace it gives me. (The cost isn't nice, either.) But, if ever I wish to open a bank account or whatever, not having a phone looks insane to them. It's a fairly trivial example, but I've known people who (like me) have decided that having a phone isn't for them, only to be dragged back into using them because of the extra effort required to open that bank account etc. You're not allowed to be yourself and that is with a simple non-excessive item like a phone. Everyone else has a phone, so you need a phone. It is a trivial example, but you get the idea. Reading this back, some of it is only half-related to depression. Excuse my inability to stop typing. :tongue:

20. B_bxmuscle

B_bxmuscle New Member

I really dislike Christmas for this reason, but I find it more ugly than depressing. All the cheap crap on display, the ruthless and relentless marketing, the manipulation of cheap sentimentality to get people to spend -- Christmas it the ugliest time of year to me when all the worst aspects of our society are ampted upon by several degrees.

Draft saved Draft deleted