Musical Taste?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Brensta, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just keen on getting an idea on what kinds of music some of you fellow posters are interested in. I love music, if I had any kind of talent id try to learn an instrument.

Muse - These guys cannot go wrong for me, the singers voice is incredible, their musical abilities are used to their full extent, and their range is great, on the same album you can have anthemic stadium rock (Plug in Baby) and brooding, dramatic pieces with a pipe organ (Megalomania). They even pulled off making the last three songs on their latest album a 3 part Symphony (Part 3 is my favourite). The fact that their bass player is also sex on legs goes a long way too.

Radiohead - What can I say. OK Computer came out when I was in Year 11, and for a teenager, its a bit of a defining album. They did things with music I had never heard before and I loved every second of it.

Beatles - My parents raised me on this and Ive never gotten over them. I need to see "Love", the Beatles themed Cirque Di Sol...whatever show some day, just need to get my ass to the US to do so.

Metallica - Heavy metal for people who do not like heavy metal. These guys used to be able to quote poetry in some of their songs and get away with it! For Whom The Bell Tolls is a classic

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm with you on Muse and Radiohead.
    Also like Stereophonics, Arcade Fire, Mogwai, the Strokes, Mumford and Sons, etc...

I'm mainly indie, but I like a bit of electronic too (and occasionally other genres like classical). Anything as long as it's good. :p

3. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im a big fan of Arcade Fire, saw them live a couple of years ago (with their full 30 person band or whatever they are rocking at the time!) and the highlight of the day was when they played Rebellion, great song.

If you like your electronic, you should try 'Cut Copy', they are an Aussie rock/electronic hybrid band, love them, and they can do it all live too which is fantastic

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Havent heard of Cut Copy...but will look em up. Liked Empire of the Sun, Temper Trap and Deadmau5 (mebbe not aussie?).

You should get Littlelemon on this thread..u'd have loads to talk about. ;)

5. cock23

cock23 New Member

I guarantee no one else on here listens to what I listen to: Serbocroatian/ex-Yugoslav turbofolk and dance music. (Well, unless other people from down who are on here listen to it lol). But it is the most popular style of music accross all republics of the former Yugoslavia, and I also love it.

I won't bore you all with names of artists as no one would have heard of any of them, but here are a few examples of some of the stuff I listen to, just so you get the idea. And whenever I am back visiting Bosnia & Herzegovina, me and my friends always go to a cafe/club which plays Serbocroatian turbofolk and dance music and have a bit of a party. :biggrin1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbkTctD98Y&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph-a4TjSW4g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8Q0NZ5uxc

As for music in English...basically whatever comes on in the radio/pub/club lol. At home though, I only really listen to the Serbocroatian stuff.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I sing in a blues band, and we do lots of old stuff like Stack O'Lee and Dust My Broom, and some more recent stuff, so I get exposed to a lot of good music and am enjoying it. But my heart is in Shepherd's Bush. I love the Who. I listen to everything, though, and love everything. I don't enjoy rap and hip hop, but I love trip hop. Tricky is one of my hearoes. A couple of people have mentioned Radiohead. They are brilliant, especially Kid A. But just put on Quadrophenia and play it REAL LOUD, please. That'll make me plenty happy.

I skipped Classical. I love Baroque, and many Russian Romantic composers like Moussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, and Kalinnikov really take me away.

7. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    #7 Brensta, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  8. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I try to keep an open mind, but what I dislike, I tend to really dislike.

• Progressive Rock: This is one genre in which I enjoy just about all subgenres: symphonic, heavy, folk, zeuhl, pop, etc. Bands such as Yes, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Genesis (pre-1975), T2, ELP, Triumvirat, Glass Hammer, The Flower Kings, and a slew of obscure bands from around the globe.
    • '60s Pop: Ranging from Motown to The Beatles and most of the British Invasion.
    • Psychedelic Rock:Iron Butterfly, The Beatles and Rolling Stones c.1966-67, Traffic, early Pink Floyd, The Zombies, Colour Haze, and more.
    • Classic rock
    • Metal: I'm mostly into progressive, death, and folk metal, though I like most subgenres (nu-metal, metalcore, and the like excluded).
    • '80s pop: Something of a guilty pleasure; mostly one-hit wonders.
    • Relatively few current popular bands: The White Stripes, The Mars Volta, and that's about it.
    • New Wave
    Dislikes:

• Most country
    • Most rap
    • "Indie" and all related genres/subgenres
    • Most punk
    • A lot of "alternative"
    • Most modern pop--especially that stuff that's mostly one person and an acoustic guitar
    • Most electronica
    • A pretty large amount American folk
    Stuff I've been meaning to listen to, so as to form a better opinion:

• Jazz
    • Blues
    • Classical
    • European folk
    • Bluegrass
    • R&B/Soul
    I'm sure there's stuff in each list I've forgotten to mention.

9. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^ What he said.^^

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

i tend to like lots of everything. just the lot everything people dont seem to like.

Fave bands. Noah and the whale, Bon iver, Biffy Clyro, Paramore, muse, sucioperro, NiXa , frightened rabbit and theres more.

Really liking Mumford and sons.

anything by the Strokes, Arcade fire, Dans le sac, scroobius pip, stereophonics, paul Weller, Oasis etc cant go wrong.

been known to bable in some RnB. Jay Z and the like aint too bad. i could go on forever, just escapes my mind

11. Opalite

Gold Member

I mostly listen to a lot of 40's/50's early rock and roll and beebop, like..

Amanda Love, Ann Margaret, Anna Graig, Barbara Green, Betty Johnson, Brenda Lee, Carol Benett, Damita Jo, Dione La Rue, Dorothy Collins, Ella Mae Morse, Georgia Gibbs, Janis Martin, Janis Martin, Kiki Page, Kitty Ford, L. Esther Phillips, Lilian Briggs, Lorne Lesley,Marie Knight, Mareen Evans, Molly B, Nat Wright, Patsy Clyne, Ruth Brown, Shari Dee, Shriley Caddel, The Delicates, The Rocky Fellers, The Storey Sisters, etc.

Appart from that, some older Jazz and Blues. Even some more ''modern'' stuff too like the Stray Cats, Horrorpops, Everlast, Tori Amos, Three 6 Mafia. And above all, Elvis ofcourse.

12. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo

Completely agree with Muse, Radiohead and Beatles , love all three... MUSE is my musical passion du jour !

I love groups but more than anything I love great vocalists ! I am classically trained in voice and piano and I believe that affects my tastes in several ways.

I have such a varied and eclectic range of musical likes that I would be here all day . My fave vocalist at the moment though is MELODY GARDOT . Shes stunning, amazing voice , inspirational story and Helluva songwriter

HH

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Classy! I'm liking Katt more and more. :tongue:

14. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Who was that hot Croatian bird, in the sexy vid? :p

15. faceless

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like rock, particularly classic rock from the 60s and 70s. Love The Who, and I'm getting big into the George Harrison memorial concert. I'll basically like anything with an electric guitar solo in it.

I also like blues, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, and Stevie Ray Vaughan are my favourites at the moment. It's the only guitar style I can play with any skill.

16. briefs

briefs New Member

Albums:
    I particularly like seventeenth-century organ music, Renaissance and Baroque music played on copies of antique instruments or real antiques, the Rococo and Empfindsamkeit period, quite a bit of nineteenth- and twentieth-century music -- symphonic, chamber, song and opera.
    When I was a teen I liked the Doors, Joni Mitchell, India ragas, Gamelan, and, (embarrassing), musicals!
    But it's still music from before 1800 that gets my juices going.

17. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I used to have a list. I tend to be able to enjoy any artist from the 60s-90s that has stood the test of time. I do find I enjoy guitar-driven music and low-fi more than hi-fi.

18. bigwhitie

bigwhitie New Member

I'll listen to almost anything.

19. whatireallywant

Gold Member

My musical taste goes all over the map - literally! I'm a fan of world music! As well as at least some of all other genres, and a lot of some genres.

Favorite genres:

Indie rock from the 80s to today
    World music (with a particular fondness for African music, but I like it all)
    Funk

But I like a lot more than just those three! I listen to everything from the oldest compositions still surviving (from 135 BC to the first century CE) to today's latest hits! And everything in between!

I also sing karaoke, so I listen to a lot of songs by singers in my vocal range (think Annie Lennox or Chrissie Hynde, just not as good a singer as they are! :biggrin1:) of all genres that might be in the karaoke book! (I'm even listening to some country now! :eek:)

20. somethingradical

I'm mainly into Indie artists such as: Florence and the Machine, Bon Iver, The Decemberists, Dent May and his magnificent ukulele, jens Lekman, Dirty Projectors and Fleet Foxes...there are many more

but I am also into more folk based bands such as The Duhks, Avett Brothers and Yonder Mountain String Band

then the theatre whore in me comes out and I always love a good musical

*No rap or R&B at all!!*

Draft saved Draft deleted