Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
lol. It's all good. I had to ask.

Guitarists, what kind of pedals do you use (if any)?

Blessings

I have Dunlop CRYBABY wah pedal. 2 ZOOM 505 Multi-Effects pedals.
A ZOOM 9030 Multieffects Processor unit. A VOODOO LAB MICROVIBE pedal (which is THE BOMB!). An ELECTRO-HARMONIX THE WORM (modulation effects) pedal. That is doubly THE BOMB.

I can plug my guitar into my PC and I have a bunch of software effects pedals and treatments in my digital audio workstation.

(I have a software version of a LM-1 Linn Drum with vintage Linn Drum sounds. I can rock some old Prince funk if I wanted.)

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I play the fiddle, whistles and flute. In the past I've played piano, harp and clarinet as well, but gave those up a few years ago. I've been known to sing (tenor), but it doesn't happen often now.
As for style, I tend to play more folky stuff, but occasionally dabble in classical music.

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's really cool, Invisible. I made myself a promise a few years ago that I wouldn't buy another Electro-Harmonix product. I bought a Russian Big Muff, and the thing went bad after only a few months and without being gigged. Just left a bad impression for me.

How do you like the Crybaby? I've never been a big wah guy, but I've been checking out different ones for the past few months.

Blessings

GBF64

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Piano. Classical only. BME in Music Ed. Diploma in Piano Performance.
Instrument at home. A new Bosendorfer model 214 grand piano in high polished ebony.

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's really cool to see so many piano players. I've said for years that the piano would be my next instrument to get fairly proficient on. It's still a goal!

Blessings

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's really cool, Invisible. I made myself a promise a few years ago that I wouldn't buy another Electro-Harmonix product. I bought a Russian Big Muff, and the thing went bad after only a few months and without being gigged. Just left a bad impression for me.

How do you like the Crybaby? I've never been a big wah guy, but I've been checking out different ones for the past few months.

Blessings

I'm a faithful EH man myself. Sure, the solder joints can go bad from time to time, but the older ones are actually better built than the newer ones. By older ones, I mean first, second and some third generation models. The first gen models are manufactured to more stringent standards and hardly any of them have ever developed problems. The third gens and up all seem to need switch repairs and some minor soldering work, but will last a lifetime once the necessary repairs are made. You can see my little vintage pedal collection here. There's a first gen Poly-Phase, Clone Theory and a second generation Soul Preacher and third gen Small Stone. By the way, when I say third gen, EH was already on the third gen pedals by 1981-1982. The little DM-2 is a wicked analog delay that is capable of rich and thick echo along with being able to be a whacked out theramin like psychedelic unit when turning the knobs while the unit is feeding back into itself.

As for the crybaby? Don't get me started on wahs...

I'll just tell you that the most sought after model is the Tychobrahe Parapedal wah that was only made for a short period during the 70's. Down from that the Thomas Organ wahs with the face on the bottom plate and then from there the ones with the signatures. Dallas Arbiter made some great wahs that were nearly identical in circuitry to the early "face" Thomas Organ models... Colorsound in the UK made one of the richest sounding wahs, many of the models have a reverse sweep which is quite unique and can lend itself to some expressive playing.

The inductor and potentiometer make all the difference... Maestro's boomerang is probably the best vintage wah value on the market today, they are as good as the early models yet can be purchased for under $150 street.

Look at the colorsounds, the boomerangs, Dallas Arbiters, check out the phenomenal Teese Real McCoy pedals and also don't discount the Crybabys made today. Many of them can be modded to sound real good by guys like Keeley and Humphrey for not too much extra fins.

Good new wahs are more than $200 unless you are looking for the stock nasal sound of most cheaper models.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Well, I just tested one (electro-harmonix) THE WORM) at the music store. (ALWAYS TRY OUT A PEDAL AT THE MUSIC STORE BEFORE PURCHASING.)

My ex bought a really nice DIGI-TECH MultiEFFEX pedalboard. He didn't EVEN like the thing. He couldn't control the sounds or anything on it. (He also didn't try it out at the music store.)

When you buy a nice multi-effects pedal board, make sure that you can control your sounds...and are able to program your sounds in it easily. If not, you are wasting your creative time using the sophisticated pedals out there.

I like my DUNLOP Crybaby Wah pedal. I have good foot control and rhythm to keep things really funky with it.

Last edited:

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol. Thanks for the post, Tri. I've been interested in the P.O.G. for a few years now, but still just haven't been able to come around to give EH another try. The majority of my pedals are Boss, and I've never had any problems with them or the other brands.

A good friend of mine does some pretty interesting things with the wah. He's kind of got me interested in what's out there, so I'll start checking out some in the near future.

invisibleman, that's really cool. If you're looking for a few things to shape up your sound, you might want to look at some of the pedals that Line 6 makes.

Blessings

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
invisibleman, that's really cool. If you're looking for a few things to shape up your sound, you might want to look at some of the pedals that Line 6 makes.

I know about the LINE6 pedals...like the green one with all of the modulation effects on it. I have heard that that one is the bomb. I wouldn't mind having two of those. And a Roland GR-30 Guitar synth. (I have played my ex's guitar synth. THAT was totally fun.) I could play that alone without having to bring a keyboard. I just bring that and those LINE6 mod peds.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I know about the LINE6 pedals...like the green one with all of the modulation effects on it. I have heard that that one is the bomb. I wouldn't mind having two of those. And a Roland GR-30 Guitar synth. (I have played my ex's guitar synth. THAT was totally fun.) I could play that alone without having to bring a keyboard. I just bring that and those LINE6 mod peds.
One day, you and I will jam. Until then, stay thirsty, my friend.

Apollo1

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol. Yeah, the Line 6 DL4 is pretty common in a lot of chains. It can also serve as a loop station, so it's definitely one of the most versatile things out there.

Blessings