NetFlix Throttoling Frequent Users

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I don' t know how many here use Net Flix, but this was an interesting article. The link to the gentleman who did the research is even more fascinating. Basically, throttling is a system by which Netflix makes frequent users wait longer for high-demnad releases.

2. BuddyBoy

BuddyBoy Member

The Canadian version of Netflix, Zip.ca, was throttling, but has come up with a new solution. Your membership now ends up with a fixed total monthly limit - above that limit, you pay an addition $2 per dvd for shipping. I have the 4 at a time plan and that entitles me to I think 13 a month - or maybe it's 11. Haven't been charged yet, though we do turn them around pretty quick.

3. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

yeah, there's some lawsuit that has been brought against them and their settlement is supposed to be a month for free. I'll probably be switching over to BlockBuster's online service soon. The also send out a coupon for a free in-store rental once a month and I think they are a tad cheaper.

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yeah, but Blockbuster won't carry NC-17 videos as they are owned by Disney (read: prudish). I have been happy with my NetFlix service thus far. We'll see. I notiuced that they have DOOM on the long wait list for me. Hmmmm.

5. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

This explains why my movies used to take so long. I lived in a major city so I wondered. I quit Netflix ages ago. I'd rather pay for the moviepass thing at Blockbuster.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I read this article too.

I'm a frequent NetFlix renter and have sometimes noticed inexplicable delays in movie shipment. Now I know why.

Throttling is really not a major issue for me; its the underhanded tactics that are more annoying. They demonstrate that the "unlimited rentals" theme advertised by NetFlix has not been completely true.

7. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    interesting, thanks lex

8. D_Barbi_Queue

I've had 40 yr old Virgin and Cinderella Man on the wait list for me for the past month and a 1/2. I'm starting to become unhappy with them.

out of curiosity, what movies would you be looking for that Netflix carries and Blockbuster doesn't? Blockbuster has the unrated versions of American Pie and Badder Santa...or are you looking for worse movies than those?

I wish that Netflix had the Girls Gone Wild videos....I'm curious to see one of those.

9. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I really can't think of any particular movie. My wife uses this more than I do, really. I tend to fall asleep on DVDs as I know they can be rewound.

10. RideRocket

Gold Member

I've never had any problems getting the movies I want from Netflix. A lot of it is just a matter of managing your rental queue and frequently updating it to get the movies you want. I'm not a frequent user though, so I probably don't get throttled.

11. D_Barbi_Queue

that's probably why....the two movies I mentioned earlier were at the top of my que as soon as they were available....and I'm still waiting to get them.

I think I got knocked into the frequent user category when I was renting the shows like 24 and Lost and going through them like crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted