New Mac !!!

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Open a new finder window and go to "Mac HD" from there go to /System/Library/CoreServices and you should see "Dock" launch that and if your dock appears, then let me know. Just DO NOT delete anything out of this folder... this is the core Mac OSX folder.

I did as you suggested and my Dock finally came back up ! Thanks for the advice and I know I sound like an idiot not knowing how to do that to begin with but it really helped me out of a whole lot of frustration lol My laptop though is still not shutting down so it is a case of one problem down but one more to get rid of.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm going to buy a Mac to replace my Dell lap top when this Dell finally dies. I was always a major Mac cheerleader, because I worked in technical communication and needed a computer that would allow me to create, maintain, and automatically update software manuals. So, for a decade or so most tech writers I know wrote software manuals for Microsoft software on Macs.

My long-suffering-documentary-film-making-Lesbian cousin showed up for a week with her brand new 17 inch sleek aluminum Mac laptop and I was terribly envious. She claims that she never receives any SPAM of Spybots and therefore does't need any anti virus protection software. I find this difficult to believe. Can it be true? And how long do you Mac folks believe I'll be able to keep a new Mac laptop running and useful? My current and OLD Dell Inspiron 8600 has proven to be a remarkably dependable workhorse and I've never had a problem with it (except a couple of years ago after a XP upgrade it decided to notify my everytime I turn it on that DiskChk.exe cannot be found and skips that part of the startup. However, increasing the RAM with two 1,000 megabyte chips ($64 each) and increasing the CACHE has made a whizbang of a difference. And I'm heavily invested in all of Adobe's software, which ain't cheap to replace just for a Mac. One thing that pissed me off with XP was right after I bought this laptop I received a notice from Microslosh that I needed to do a complete on-line blood transfusion by logging onto their upgrade site and leaving the PC alone for about 4 hours as it removed and replaced the entire operating system to XPII. Now, I realize that was a good thing. I receive regular updates, patches, and new tits and feathers options to incorporate with Windoze XPII. Does Apple do the same? I really dislike having to buy a new maching just because the OS has changed so dramatically that my current motherboard and Pentium dual processing chips are no longer compatible.

Since I absolutely hate VISTA (I've had to use it on other machines for work), I'm quite pleased that Microslosh still supports XPII. But for how long?

Oh, so many questions and so many fears. Plus, my Inspiron looks as haggard on the outside as it should. I've lugged it all over the world without a problem. The case is scratched, many of the keys are no longer legible,and the silver plastic finish has been worn down to the underlying black plastic where my wrists rest. I just have to clean up registry errors and do a complete disk checkup for unwanted nasties every two weeks, which is fine because that gives me enough time to make a fresh batch of coffee.

But, despite all the wonders of the world my cousin insists her new Mac can do, I'm able to still keep up with her on this old Inspiron. She sends me video from films she's working on and I'm able (using Apple tools) to open, edit, and wrap -- then send the files back to her. I use my Dell for work. I don't dabble with MP3 stuff or games. Computer games (for someone like me from Nevada) are as exciting as wasting time at a slot machine. I'd rather read a book. More importantly, I'd rather write several more.

Anyway, my question is: Is Apple still coming out with new Macs that are incompatible with older Macs and therefore the older Mac cannot be retrofitted (like an aging Boeing 747) to keep up. I really disliked having to buy a new Mac every time they introduced a new OS. But that, as I'm given to understand, is "sooooo late 1990s early 2000s." Is it true? This old Dell lap top I use has been well worth the money I threw at it back in 2002. And updates are seamless to install whenever I receive a notice from Microslosh. Oddly enough, the only Microscoff Software I use is Word (in English, Spanish, and French). I find their business office suite quite cumbersome and poorly designed. But that's just me.

BTW: My old Mac IIe is still being used by youngsters at Wells Elementary school.

Last edited: