Old movies you'll never stop watching at all?

Are you sure you're 80% Straight :rolleyes:
:biggrin1:

aww dont be tight!

I watched Sound of Music w/me Grandad a couple of times - he liked anything that was set around WW2, lol.
Good film tho..

Last edited by a moderator:

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

You've seen this one. It's the cloying Disney™ product.

You haven't seen this one
. It's the enchanting original done by the great French artist Jean Cocteau.

Beauty and the Beast should not have been made. It was 1946 France and what wasn't in rubble was only merely falling apart. Cocteau, however, wasn't a practical man and didn't give a shit. Neither did anyone else. France needed a beautiful escapist movie to help lift her spirits in the postwar gloom. But how to do it? There was no film stock, little to no electricity of any reliability, no costumes, no actors, no technicians, no food, and certainly no money.

Cocteau, being Cocteau, ran around Paris trying to get together the makings of a film crew. As many tell it, they had nothing better to do so why not go make a movie off in some abandoned chateau? And who wouldn't want to make a movie with someone as loved as Cocteau? At least they'd be eating.

It took a while but after traveling from Paris by car, truck, and then oxcart, the film crew arrived at the chateau. Everyone worked on everything. The cast and crew did their jobs. The cast and crew cooked. The cast and crew did makeup. The cast and crew went into their own wardrobes. The cast and crew froze as the chateau had no heat. The cast and crew stood guard through the night to make sure nobody stole anything.

Complaining about France is one of the easiest things in the world to do. The rest of the world does it all the time. Yet sometimes the infants terrible of the western world just charm in a way nobody else can. I think only the French could have done this, and perhaps it was Cocteau himself or just the desire by everyone involved to make a great movie; whatever happened however, came together as unrivaled magic. When the French make something beautiful, the world gasps.

It's the basic Beauty and the Beast tale told but without all the high fructose corn syrup the Americans like to bake into their fairy tales. It's all live-action and the budget was so low that every special effect was done in-camera. Unless you've seen Bram Stoker's Dracula, then you likely haven't seen a modern film done with every special effect done in-camera, but the effect is striking because you're watching an optical illusion done in real time without any blue screens or image generators. We're not used to that kind of thing any longer and while Cocteau's people used odd camera angles and magician tricks for many effects, the realism of the effects doesn't seem any less.

But ignore the special effects. Pay attention to Josette Day. Day was a prima ballerina with the Paris ballet and not a film actress, but Cocteau wanted a Beauty with a sublime gracefulness, able to pose her body in exactly the manner and expression Cocteau was seeking. Cocteau's Beauty had to be beautiful and he only found that in Day.

Cocteau was a Pisces, an occultist, a painter, and one of the great artistic minds of France. Like Chagall he was intrigued by the dream world, the somewhere else just outside of mundanity. When you see Beauty and the Beast, you'll know what I mean. His living set pieces would later be copied by Disney almost exactly, yet Disney's animated live set pieces diminish enormously in shock value because they aren't live at all as Cocteau's are.

Cocteau's Beauty isn't sweet, she's haughty and cold. Beast isn't noble, he's a smoldering animal. All of the sexual tension drained out of the Disney version is fully present here in performance and symbolism. We know what Beast wants and it isn't an elegant dance.

I perpetually tell people never to watch it during the day as the magic of the story is ruined outside of a dark room. I stick by that. Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast is a dream and needs to be nourished as such.

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Are you sure you're 80% Straight :rolleyes:
:biggrin1:

Yes I'm quite sure of that. Just grow up with Julie Andrews. Those movies were good and are still fenomenal to see! Didn't know that 'the sound of music' and 'marry poppins' were girl movies. Mary Poppins is made for children, and I was child when I get to know that movie. 'The sound of music' is a typical christmas or newyears eve movie, so yes I saw it a lot. Brings back those good memories and great music.

I think more shocking is that in the Dutch language version, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious has no vowels!

Luckily I never saw those movies in Dutch, always English with Dutch subtitles. I hate it when they make a Dutch version of it.

aww dont be tight!

I watched Sound of Music w/me Grandad a couple of times - he liked anything that was set around WW2, lol.
Good film tho..

Thanks, those are just classic, you maybe have to learn to appreciate those movies a bit more. Great acting, singing, storyline etc. That is what a movie should be.

Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat (1895)

I wanted to introduce you to something fairly short and unique without straining the average tolerance for old films.

Because this one is really old.

When cinema was first invented, nobody was quite sure what to do with it. In France, the Lumiere brothers were making films that were little more than simple short postcards. They were scenes of daily happenings with no narrative because film makers didn't discover that they could create narratives out of moving images for quite some time. Edison was essentially doing the same thing. The concept of editing or moving the camera had to come afterward. If you want to see a very brief example of what early films were like, here is the Lumiere's notorious Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat from 1895. Why is it notorious? You may not believe it, but early audiences saw the train approaching on the screen and scrambled in panic to get out of the theater thinking the train was going to come through the screen.

Which, in turn, tells us something about inculturation and art. People had to learn how to view movies, to be able to relax enough to suspend disbelief. It's a skill they had to learn, not one that came naturally to them.

Ummm I think this is one of the first movies I ever saw! But do I want to keep seeing it? not really.

Too bad. It's great for a romantic night at home after a candle lit dinner for two. :wink:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The Trouble with Angels (1966)
A Clock Work Orange (1971)
Coming Apart (1969)
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (1977)
The Thing (1982)
Irma la Douce (1963)
Woman Times Seven (1967)
Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977)

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Judging from the titles above my "old" favs hardly rate as either classic or old. Guess my tastes are rather simple. I find myself watching my all time fav movie (one of the greatest movies of all time imHo) The Good the Bad and the Ugly everytime it airs (even though I have it on DVD). I also find myself rewatching Alien, Big Trouble in Little China, and Silence of the Lambs when they come on. Not much into the older black and whites.

Those seasonal movies are something that I also watch, though most I have NEVER sat completely through. So in many various sittings, over time, I've eventually managed to see all of The Wizard of Oz and It's a Wonderful Life (although up until a year or so ago there were still parts of the first I had never seen).

I do however sit completely thru A Christmas Story... every year! ("Ho ho ho hooo...")

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Trouble with Angels (1966)
A Clock Work Orange (1971)
Coming Apart (1969)
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (1977)
The Thing (1982)
Irma la Douce (1963)
Woman Times Seven (1967)
Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977)

Wow ML that really shoots the spectrum from A to Z, I liked all of those two, don't know if I ever want to see Mr. Goodbar again, I did not go out to the bars for a year after I saw it the first time. But I would love to see Rose Garden again, I have not seen that since it came out.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow ML that really shoots the spectrum from A to Z, I liked all of those two, don't know if I ever want to see Mr. Goodbar again, I did not go out to the bars for a year after I saw it the first time. But I would love to see Rose Garden again, I have not seen that since it came out.

Mr Goodbar is one of the few movies that ever lived up to the original book. also, Ms Keaton was completely brilliant as Theresa Dunn. i could so get killed for this but, i wish she was more known for this film and not so much Annie Hall.

Rose Garden is sort of the reverse, the movie is good but the book is better. i don't think i would have liked the film as much if i hadn't been in love with the book to begin with. again with mad love to Ms Quinnlan and Ms Andersson for bring the characters to life.

ml
i'm noticing most of my favorite movies are also my favorite books :)

Last edited:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
I'm too lazy to look up a lot of dates,but here's some i like:
The secret Garden
All the original Frankenstien,draculas,wolfman...mummy......
Willy Wonka{gene wilder}
The little Prince{gene wilder}
Bonnie and Clyde{Beatty}
Lots of John wayne's movies
The Fugitive Kind{Brando,Anna Magnani}
The Swimmer{burt Lancaster}
The Time Machine{from the 60's}
Easy Rider{Fonda/Hopper}
The Night of the living dead{original B/W version}
War of the worlds/Day the earth stood still{original 50's versions}
All the old Harryhousen Claymation MONSTER effect movies- KINGKONG/Sinbads...etc.
Emperor of the north{lee marvin}
Papillion{Mcqueen}
The Hustler{Gleason/Newman}
Just loads a good old movies really................

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes I'm quite sure of that. Just grow up with Julie Andrews. Those movies were good and are still fenomenal to see! Didn't know that 'the sound of music' and 'marry poppins' were girl movies. Mary Poppins is made for children, and I was child when I get to know that movie......

Hey Pieter, when I was a kid, my Mum used to work (as a nurse) in a care home for the elderly in Surrey. It was an exclusive home, very stately grand house with stunning grounds.

Sometimes (I can't remember why!) we'd go there....and one of the old gentlemen that my Mother used to care for was Julie Andrews's Father I think...or an elderly relative....and we got to meet Julie a handful of times. As kids we were absolutely blown away, I thought that she was really and truly Mary Poppins!!...she was so sweet and lovely to us, just as you would imagine her to be! She even came to our home for tea one time...Mum tells us that we would follow her everywhere with looks of wonderment on our faces, and that she was indeed a lovely lady.

As for old films I repeat again and again.....

Harold and Maude
Cabaret
The Anniversary
The Remains of the Day
To Kill a Mockingbird
Now, Voyager
A Room with a View
ET!!
MARY POPPINS!!!

Last edited:

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member