Outback Sucks

The Keg has started to cross the border into the US. We had a nice dinner there a couple months back. Outback blah. I'm better with meat than they are.

I had no idea they were in the U.S. as well now. I used to love their fresh hot sourdough bread you got before every meal. I can't have it anymore because I'm celiac. The Keg has a gluten free menu as well which is another reason why I like them. Their steak with lobster tail and garlic mashed potatoes is my favorite meal.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have never eaten at a golden corral, but I concur that cracker barrel is a very good restaurant! I haven't been to one in a while, though. Its usually a common place for my family to eat when we go road travelling somewhere, which we haven't done for a few years.

When you come over ill take you there. :)

I got stabbed at a Cracker Barrel.

Bob Ross

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, it's 9.99 $ for the 6oz steak. And if you order it well done - well what do you expect?

Every time I went to Outback (I'm guessing about a dozen times) "medium" transfered into a black, rounded, bricket that I could lay a slap shot on and drive through a car window

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Every time I went to Outback (I'm guessing about a dozen times) "medium" transfered into a black, rounded, bricket that I could lay a slap shot on and drive through a car window

I only ever order rare, except when I believe that blue might be understood. There's never an excuse for overcooked beef.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I totally loved there cheese fries with bacon, and there bacon cheese burger and the one I went to served a non to shy gin and tonic which always gets my vote.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The 'Ritas are good, but I've never considered them Australian (is Mexican a big deal in Oz?).

Mexican (or Tex-Mex, take your pick) is not really a big deal here in Australia. To be honest, margaritas aren't big here either - a bartender will probably make a whole lot more caipiroskas for every margarita. Restaurants here are more likely to be Asian than anything else.

I've eaten at Outback once, and it was one of those "It's Saturday night, we're in a tourist precinct, we haven't made a dinner booking and we have 7 adults" scenarios. The looked after us well; I have no complaint about them. But then again, we take steak very seriously here. Even a dodgy feet-stick-to-the-carpet type of pub will dish up a pretty fine steak, and it will come out exactly as you want it.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I'm surprised they even have Outback restaurants in Australia. I can't imagine any tourist going to Australia and eating at a pseudo Australian theme restaurant.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Mexican (or Tex-Mex, take your pick) is not really a big deal here in Australia. To be honest, margaritas aren't big here either - a bartender will probably make a whole lot more caipiroskas for every margarita. Restaurants here are more likely to be Asian than anything else.

I've eaten at Outback once, and it was one of those "It's Saturday night, we're in a tourist precinct, we haven't made a dinner booking and we have 7 adults" scenarios. The looked after us well; I have no complaint about them. But then again, we take steak very seriously here. Even a dodgy feet-stick-to-the-carpet type of pub will dish up a pretty fine steak, and it will come out exactly as you want it.

That's pretty much exactly what I thought: thanks :biggrin1:

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm surprised they even have Outback restaurants in Australia. I can't imagine any tourist going to Australia and eating at a pseudo Australian theme restaurant.

It doesn't make sense, does it? Apart from bush tucker, eating Australian food (whatever the hell that means) shouldn't take any more effort than walking to the pub.

But then again, we take steak very seriously here. Even a dodgy feet-stick-to-the-carpet type of pub will dish up a pretty fine steak, and it will come out exactly as you want it.

And your beer! I loved VB and XXXX (Tooheys wasn't bad either) when I was down under. I was surprised to find out that Aussies don't like Fosters(can't blame them). I was told by some Australians that the reason Fosters was exported was because no one there would drink it. They told me that they kept "the good stuff" for themselves. Ahhh, what I would give for a VB. I would even be willing to suffer through my gluten intolerance to have one. :biggrin1:

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And your beer! I loved VB and XXXX (Tooheys wasn't bad either) when I was down under. I was surprised to find out that Aussies don't like Fosters(can't blame them). I was told by some Australians that the reason Fosters was exported was because no one there would drink it. They told me that they kept "the good stuff" for themselves. Ahhh, what I would give for a VB. I would even be willing to suffer through my gluten intolerance to have one. :biggrin1:

Ahh, you foreigners - you'll drink any old shit, won't you? :tongue:

VB is our cheap old bloke beer - think Pabst before the hipsters claimed it ironically. Fourex tells me you were on the east coast. Personally our best big Aussie beers are Coopers and some of the Tasmanian brands, as well as James Squire.

There are some brilliant smaller breweries making their name now, including Little Creatures (almost a big-game player now), BrewBoys, several that are attached to wineries, and many independent brewers.

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The franchise equivalent here is something like Hog's Breath Cafe - Hog's Breath Cafe - Delivering Hogspitality Since 1989

But people here are more likely to go to the local pub for a steak World Famous Steaks - The Breakfast Creek Hotel, Albion, QLD, 4010 Becasse of the wtm climate many pubs have some sort of open air dining.

wappingite

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes, Tasmania offers some good beers! It's also a really unqiue and wonderful place to visit with incredible seafood. And they have National Pie..."Meet the Meat in the First Bite" How can you not love that slogan?

I haven't been to an Outback in ages, but only remember massive quantities of food and sometimes good, sometimes bad meals. But, it takes more than putting a boomerang and didgeridoo on the wall to capture the essence of Australia. Besides, Australian "cuisine" is difficult to define...it's such a mixture of things from different cultures. Anyway, the junk food is best like Allen's Frogs Alive and Tim Tams. ;-)

It's a carnivore's country though, you can't go wrong with a steak and they cook it right in most places....although a crap cut is a crap cut anywhere. It ranks up there with other carno countries like Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, USA for steaks. And any steak cooked more than medium rare? Why bother?

Ahh, you foreigners - you'll drink any old shit, won't you? :tongue:

VB is our cheap old bloke beer - think Pabst before the hipsters claimed it ironically. Fourex tells me you were on the east coast. Personally our best big Aussie beers are Coopers and some of the Tasmanian brands, as well as James Squire.

There are some brilliant smaller breweries making their name now, including Little Creatures (almost a big-game player now), BrewBoys, several that are attached to wineries, and many independent brewers.

Keep in mind this was 16 years ago that I was there. Since then, microbreweries in Canada have exploded in popularity as well. Without a doubt, microbrews are better than mass produced beers with the exception of Guinness which is in a league all its own. If you want to taste shitty beer, try a gluten free one! They are starting to get a little better, but are a far cry from regular beer. It sounds like Aussies feel the same way about mass produced beer as Canadians feel about Labatts and Molsons - pure crap. Molsons and Labatts though are still popular in other countries like the U.S. In fact, they are no longer Canadian owned. They were bought out by large American and European breweries. They can have them as far as I'm concerned!