Reactions: ronin001

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
all humanity deserve respect,on passing
achievements or not withstanding

The reality is that Britain is a republic with a politically toothless royal family on the payroll as national symbols.

Royals grow up in a fishbowl and live their days reacting to Fleet Street rags, SkyNews and social media.

There's nothing distinguished about any royal. They've done nothing to earn it. Born to a classist medieval chivalric myth.

Everyone deserves respect in death? No. Not people like Hitler, Stalin and other mass butcherers. Add robber barons to that list.

Reactions: il2tx and rbkwp

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The reality is that Britain is a republic with a politically toothless royal family on the payroll as national symbols.

Royals grow up in a fishbowl and live their days reacting to Fleet Street rags, SkyNews and social media.

There's nothing distinguished about any royal. They've done nothing to earn it. Born to a classist medieval chivalric myth.

Everyone deserves respect in death? No. Not people like Hitler, Stalin and other mass butcherers. Add robber barons to that list.
I'm not sure you can say the UK is a republic tbh... they - for silly, historical reasons - are at the apex of a pyramid of privilege. It is the Queen's church, her armed forces, her government &c.

Reactions: rbkwp

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not sure you can say the UK is a republic tbh... they - for silly, historical reasons - are at the apex of a pyramid of privilege. It is the Queen's church, her armed forces, her government &c.

It's "her" government, church and armed forces but in no real way. If she summarily dissolved "her" Parliament, or declared war on another country and ordered "her" armed forces to attack, or issued the C of E equivalent of encyclicals from "her" church, or even married the wrong man (ala Edward/Wallace) you'd all be outraged and she'd be forced to abdicate. Same if she had divorced Phil.

She asks the leader whose party won the election by majority, plurality or coalition to form a government as PM. When she opens Parliament she reads out the agenda of the party/coalition that won. She and her family are required to be politically neutral aka above the fray. This makes the monarch's role to advise the government meaningless.

Getting rid of the monarchy removes a rubber stamp for what the people have already decided. It's a representative government chosen democratically. A republic.

When the monarchy is gone there won't be any difference.

Reactions: il2tx

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

can certaiany acree with those you mention hd

its incredible that we mere humans,are so very judgemental,of fellow humans behaviour

personally,always had in ther back of my mind,some of the worst offenders,so to speak,are not those who openly perform,but likely the closeted of our species
those who havent revealed there true colours/colors USA a

Haggard_Wisdom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Not a fan of the monarchy at all and I hope that Australia becomes a republic with an Aussie head of state sooner rather than later but I think its sad old Phil went out on 99. At 100 in Commonwealth countries you get a letter from the Queen!!

article-2230685-15EEBF61000005DC-728_306x394.jpg

Reactions: malakos and rbkwp

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's "her" government, church and armed forces but in no real way. If she summarily dissolved "her" Parliament, or declared war on another country and ordered "her" armed forces to attack, or issued the C of E equivalent of encyclicals from "her" church, or even married the wrong man (ala Edward/Wallace) you'd all be outraged and she'd be forced to abdicate. Same if she had divorced Phil.

She asks the leader whose party won the election by majority, plurality or coalition to form a government as PM. When she opens Parliament she reads out the agenda of the party/coalition that won. She and her family are required to be politically neutral aka above the fray. This makes the monarch's role to advise the government meaningless.

Getting rid of the monarchy removes a rubber stamp for what the people have already decided. It's a representative government chosen democratically. A republic.

When the monarchy is gone there won't be any difference.
Absolutely. I don't disagree with anything you say. I am a republican, not a monarchist. But. As per my passport, I am not a citizen but a subject of Her Maj. I agree it's all a load of empty tradition and ceremonial old nonsense/mumbo-jumbo on one level but, more importantly, it is an affront to the very idea of democracy - that at the apex is one person, who may or may not enjoy real or actual power but who nevertheless enjoys access or the ability to influence, aside from the very real wealth and reach of the monarchy across many institutions in these lands.

People say it's an meaningless institution but that is to underestimate the monarchy.

Reactions: dreamer20 and rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
funny you mention that re passports dj
said often the pom parliamentarians are quick to say 'aye' when it comes to destroying others
if indeed your passport still says british subject,ow pathetic and backward
we NZ got rid of that on our passports,years ago,i think
but,i was proud to have done my WW traveks,in the 70s,as a NZ citizen/british subject
i felt protected,dare i say 'safe' haha
true

Hairylegs

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My condolences to the royalists out there. I personally enjoyed the gaffes, the man did bring some fresh air into that rather stale household. SO, anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not he was circumcised? I've been dying of curiosity for years. The Queen wanted her boys cut, did that include hubby too? Born in Greece. Danish family. No circ history in those social circles. BUT, Victoria and her wonderful fetishes were still in his background.

Reactions: rbkwp

Tim37

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As to him being hung in the crown the queen says to him at one point there is nothing shrunken about you dear

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not odd at all.
An appropriate view for your current incarnation.
It will all become clear eventually.:relieved:
I sincerely doubt that. Having grown up in a veritable Mecca for religious and alternative beliefs I am highly skeptical of them all.

Afterlife insurance for the hard of thinking. :)

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As to him being hung in the crown the queen says to him at one point there is nothing shrunken about you dear
I don't know what it means to be hung in the crown. Sounds interesting, though.

The only thing the Queen ever said to me (true story) was: "Actually, I don't." And I do mean the Queen, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor.