Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I live in a city about an hour away from Toronto, Ontario.
Today, Wednesday, October 20th, we are celebrating Purple Day.
This event BLEW UP on facebook. Everyone should wear purple tomorrow in remembrance of the recent suicides and to show support for the people in the LGBT community struggling with bullying and thoughts of suicide.

I was just wondering how many people have heard of this? Is it just in my area that people are doing this or is it bigger than that?

Also, if you haven't heard, there has been an 'It Gets Better' campaign going on for a little while now. Various people give their stories of the obstacles they have faced growing up gay, and how they have overcome many of these obstacles.

My Story:

I knew I was gay from a young age. I was never really comfortable with myself. I hated the way I looked and everything about myself.
I always told myself that I would grow into this attractive man and be completely comfortable with myself. At that point, coming out would be a breeze because I would love myself, so even if no one else did, it wouldn't matter.

A few years passed and I was still unhappy with myself. I hated myself even more than ever. I didn't want to come out, but I knew that if I didn't, it would be a matter of time before I did something stupid.
I told my best friend that I had a secret and that it would probably end our friendship. She got concerned and asked me what was wrong. That's when I came out for the first time. She laughed at me and said "oh please. like THAT would end our friendship."

Coming out to my parents was the next step. It was nerve racking. I sat them down for tea and said I had to tell them something. My mom said some very hurtful things. Although I forgave her the minute her words left her mouth, she said some things I will never forget. My father reassured me that everything was fine and they still loved me just the same.

I've had dozens of talks with my mom on the subject, most ending in tears. Some sad tears, some joyful tears. Now, over two years since I've come out, my parents are totally accepting.
I have the best friends in the world.
Even my coworkers accept me completely. And I enjoy going to work because of that.
I'm a drag queen.
I may never be completely satisfied with my body, but I love it all the same.

I was at the lowest of my lows; And then it got worse.
But no matter how bad it becomes, it always gets better.
I love my life.
I cannot wait to see what the future holds for me.
It gets better

True_Blue

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Let me tell you rob_, I live in Denton, TX and my roommates and I are all wearing purple on the 20th (we have about 15 minutes) in remembrance of the suicides and for all others of the LGBTQ community who've endured the same treatment. I am the only individual here that isn't straight but we're all going to be rocking the purple!!

rob_

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Let me tell you rob_, I live in Denton, TX and my roommates and I are all wearing purple on the 20th (we have about 15 minutes) in remembrance of the suicides and for all others of the LGBTQ community who've endured the same treatment. I am the only individual here that isn't straight but we're all going to be rocking the purple!!

Gooood! I'm glad to hear that!!
Something so simple as a large number of people wearing the same colour on the same day can make quite an impact.
:frown1:
(Pretend that is a smiley face. I'm only using the sad one because it's purple. :p)

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Darnit. First of all, I'm not sure if I own anything purple, and if I do, I don't know if it'll fit my big ole preggo belly.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have never heard about this! But I really support the idea.
Rob you must have adorable since, well, forever;)

rob_

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Darnit. First of all, I'm not sure if I own anything purple, and if I do, I don't know if it'll fit my big ole preggo belly.

I didn't know you were pregnant!
Congratulations!!

I have never heard about this! But I really support the idea.
Rob you must have adorable since, well, forever;)

Luka, you better be wearing puple today, Mister!
I want photographic evidence!! :wink:

Damien_9

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Its 2AM here in australia and we just had the 20th, All of my friends and I posted pictures of ourselves wearing purple on facebook, I did have a meeting halfway through the day and had to suit up, but still wore a purple ribbon on my lapel.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't know you were pregnant!
Congratulations!!

Aw, thank you! Yes, TheBF and I are having a baby. :smile:

Purple is about gay empowerment and also about child protection (it was used for Megan's Law support).

I didn't know that!

On the "gay rainbow" each colour represents a different thing, purple is said to represent Pride.

I didn't know that, either!

My mother would probably remind me that in biblical times, purple was the color of royalty.

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm wearing a royal purple v-neck cashmere sweater that my uncle gave to all the adults in the family at Christmas last year (32 of us) as a sort of joke. Little did he know. I hope today has gotten enough publicity so that people know what it means.

What is this sweater you speak of? :rolleyes: As I bask in the SoFla warmth in my t-shirt!

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On the "gay rainbow" each colour represents a different thing, purple is said to represent Pride.

Spirit, actually. The purples stands for "spirit." That's why some are calling today "Spirit Day."

In case anyone was wondering: The different colors of the gay pride flag are:

Red - Life
Orange - Healing
Yellow - Sunlight
Green - Nature
Blue - Harmony
Purple - Spirit

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sunlight?

Oh, like "out in the light of day" as opposed to "in the dark of the closet"?

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What is this sweater you speak of? :rolleyes: As I bask in the SoFla warmth in my t-shirt!

No matter, as long as it's purple.

And there isn't nearly enough purple out there today...but it's only 6:00 and I'm going out for the eve so there's still time.