Quitting smoking.

DiegoID

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When we talk about addictions and say something that sounds stupid like, "he's adicted to marijuana", the natural thought is that things like marijuana are psychologically addictive, not chemically addictive. What they don't tell you is that the chemical addictions are relatively easy to overcome. The psychological addiction is the tough one, and it's usually the one they miss when they put you in treatment.

I actually found smoking marijuana to be a decent substitute for smoking cigarettes (Probably not that much better on my lungs, but at least I don't smoke 20 joints in a day). I'm really good at quitting cigarettes now since i've done it a half dozen times or so. I think the physical withdrawal was easy(for me) beacuse I'd gone through it a few times. The nicotine replacement works for some, but I agree that it's the psychological aspect that deserves the most attention.

socoken

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I smoked and chewed for about 8 years. I quit chewing last Xmas ('05) for my family, and havent had one since. I dont buy smokes, and the idea of them disgusts me...... when Im sober. If I have a coctail or two, a smoke suddenly becomes a great idea. I still smoke 3 or 4 times a month, but I regret it when I do. Now I live in a town where smoking in bars is not allowed, and that helps me out a lot. If Im not around it, Im good. If Im out with someone who smokes, then Ill have one, you know, just to be social.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My dear mother smoked all during her youth and she quit when she got cancer. That was in 1982. Since then she has not smoked but she has had lung cancer three times. Twice she had surgery and had parts of each of her lungs removed. She has hobbled around her house for years with an oxygen tube. This third lung cancer is new, and inoperable, and she will die in a few months. I think that she is a bit relieved that it is inoperable because she has gone through cancer treatment three times already and it is terrible itself.

Yes, do quit smoking.

SynSatiable69

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
hello there,,, im not one who posts on this board often,,, im usually in the chatroom :)

but in this one i wanted to because even though this is a large penis support group,,, i have been using it as a support group for Quit Smoking,,,

my work gave us a new rule this year starting Jan 1st,,, no smoking on company property,,,not even in your own car in the parking lot (which i dont think is right,,, but then oh well) so i went in the room was talking to everyone there about it and most everyone said they would help me ,,, i have been keeping myself mostly occupied in the room as soon as i get home because usually when i got home i always was lighting up and was smoking the whole night away til it was bedtime (i usually smoked at least half a pack just in that time)

my last night of smoking was Oct 31st, i smoked a whole pack from 4:30-10:30 and actually by 9:30 i only had 2 cigs left,,, i was dreading it,,, i really didnt want to stop,,, but figured i would do it before the procrastinators at work do it that way i would be over the bitchiness before they started LOL

i told everyone in the room as i was counting down my cigs LOL ... they were actually very supportive,,, even the ones who still smoke,,,

i woke up on Nov 1st,,, took my shower and slapped a patch on and off i went

i did the patch for a week and a half,,, then i wanted to see if i could do without and i found i could and now i havent had a cig for over 2 months,,, some people still ask me how im doing and so far im doing great ,,, really havent felt the urge to smoke,,, but then at work some of them have just quit while at work and still smoke at home and the smell has been almost over powering at times... ive almost gagged when smelling this one guy who i needed to help at work (shudder) when it hit me how bad he smelled i came home and told hubby i was sorry if i had ever stunk like that!!!

hes a chewer,,, does the snuff,,, he quit the same day as i did but he is having a much harder time,,, (caught him cheating once) there is a company http://www.freeclear.com/
they help some,,, call ya to check up on you,,, you can call them alot of times when ya need to talk,,, in my case my work paid for this program but yours might too its a support group... i think they have an online chat too as well as other things,,, but THIS place has been my help,,, there are some GREAT people on this site and i have become very good friends with some and have known others for years

hope this helps :smile: :smile: :smile:

jordanj

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Heh, I gave up for New Years, I was gonna finish off the pack that I had but when my back went during the evening of New Years Day, I had my last cigarette at about 7am on 2nd January whilst waiting for the ambulance to take me to hospital. I had about half a pack left.

I got released from hospital on the 11th and my ex (as per my instructions) had thrown away the rest of my cigarettes and the ashtray and lighter. I am effectively housebound because I've had spinal surgery and to walk to the shops would kill my back. I cannot drive because I have no sensation in my right foot so I cannot control the brake so I can't drive to the shop to buy them. Nobody else will buy them for me so I guess I've given up!

I'm glad to have given up. I need the money aside from anything and I'm looking forward to the health benefits of having quit.

I guess it's a shame we don't have a company like Quitters Inc. Quitters, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.