Random thoughts

I need to get back into the habit of flossing. When I was injured I couldn't floss one handed. Stupid ulnar nerve injury (thankfully healed and back to normal now).

D

deleted924715

If you are going to try and take an authoritative position in an argument by claiming "science" you should really take a critical eye to the "evidence" you are posting before you post it...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
not exactly the most handsome critter on the planet but ..

WHAT'S THAT?
These animals have the world's biggest ears

The long-eared jerboa has ears that are two-thirds as long as its body—but many other animals have impressive hearing implements as well.

lovely family
equal to any [political fakmily, some in particular

ANIMAL GRIEF
Friend or foe, gorillas groom their dead

Rare sightings of gorillas reacting to bodies of both known and unknown gorillas give researchers new insight into how they deal with death.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
wow how about that
amazing that scoveries are still prevalent anyway

Giant ancient 'lion' discovered in Kenya
The beast had massive fangs and weighed up to 1,500 kilograms. The bones were found years ago, but had been believed to belong to another animal.

Paleontologists working in Kenya revealed on Thursday that they had discovered a giant ancestor of the modern lion, which roamed the Savannah 23 million years ago. The newly-discovered species weighed up to 1,500 kilograms (3,300 pounds), and ate creatures similar to modern-day elephants.

Scientists Matthew Borths, of Duke and Ohio Universities, and Nancy Stevens, also of Ohio University, announced their discovery of the lower jaw, teeth, and other bones of the Simbakubwa kutokaafrika in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.

"Based on its massive teeth, Simbakubwa was a specialized hyper-carnivore that was significantly larger than the modern lion and possibly larger than a polar bear," said Borths.

A size comparison of Simbakubwa kutokaafrikra and a modern human

In the paper, the pair explained that the animal's scientific name comes from the Swahili for "big African lion."

Giant ancient 'lion' discovered in Kenya | DW | 18.04.2019

men on these hookup sites are so f'n boring. I get IM'd by guys who lack any sort of social skills or conversational skills. I'm not asking for you to blow my mind with some amazing conversation but if I say hey to you and you follow up with hey and then I say how are you? and you respond with fine and that is where the conversation ends I mean...sure we can meet up and have sex. I mean who can talk to have said conversations if their mouth is full am I right??? lol.
but on a serious note if you IM me and you say hey and I respond with hello and from there its just a back and forth of how are you, i'm fine how are you?/I'm fine..and then nothing for hours and days. I'm immediately deleting the conversation and ignoring you.
Can we at least share some pleasantries or have some chit chat before you shove your junk inside of me.
*SIGH*

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
comparison, well not really
ie shouldent
each has equal value huh

Camera-Trap-picture-in-Lower-Wakhan-Badakhshan-2012_Credit-WCS.jpg

LOVE Sunday pork roast/cold sliced pork several days later, with unhealthy white rice or 2 minit noodle sorry piggy/hoglet

2IcdiDdXFynVWE__Tog-Tz26vtMN9MyagSp6LMRrOt4dYMWfa8khG95EBtWEyMv3-omfDcmbOnPqtoR9kSV_lVyqII05sI7Q9bo8ncIMuWbgje-mT0A9x2lPGrHuUNPKz7T83d1o1kYRmh6vTcbcbXqaiGjB6g-Yc9k=s0-d-e1-ft

Reactions: Questionable Meat

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Q please LF
hows your elections comming along
was it geheral country or just state

think you mentioned results in a few days
rather hear from personal than so called experts huh

btw
personally
hope that other T doesent look like getting in
talks love trust loyalty re indigenous, follows with deceit as usual with all polis

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Q please LF
hows your elections comming along
was it geheral country or just state

think you mentioned results in a few days
rather hear from personal than so called experts huh

btw
personally
hope that other T doesent look like getting in
talks love trust loyalty re indigenous, follows with deceit as usual with all polis
Provincial, and it didn’t go well. The bigot won. Won’t go well for Indigenous people, or for families. Pretty disheartening.

Reactions: rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
omg unbelievable
was hoping younger voters were able to swing it
must be a lot of old diehard likes amongst that crowd
dissapointed
thanks

Provincial, and it didn’t go well. The bigot won. Won’t go well for Indigenous people, or for families. Pretty disheartening.

Reactions: LaFemme

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Today I thought FUCK IT and put a loaf of sweet fruit loaf on in the bread maker.
This way I have control over what goes in it.

I planted zinnias, plantatin herb, black mint, feverfew, white yarrow and motherwort into seedling
flats in the greenhouse.
Get my hands in the dirt and see if I can rebuild my Immune system again.

Reactions: LaFemme and rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
medical
of interest
listen
shades of Dolly ma7be

First U.S. Patients Treated With CRISPR As Human Gene-Editing Trials Get Underway

ROB STEIN

TwitterFacebook
crispr-gene-editing-technology-4ea4b96d4e75f262ffed541c3fa48b0f8263a1b9-s700-c85.jpg

CRISPR gene-editing technology allows scientists to make highly precise modifications to DNA. The technology is now starting to be used in human trials to treat several diseases in the U.S.

Molekuul/Getty Images/Science Photo Library
The powerful gene-editing technique called CRISPR has been in the news a lot. And not all the news has been good: A Chinese scientist stunned the world last year when he announced he had used CRISPR to create genetically modified babies.

But scientists have long hoped CRISPR — a technology that allows scientists to make very precise modifications to DNA — could eventually help cure many diseases. And now scientists are taking tangible first steps to make that dream a reality.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
and

none of us will deny this

Chill Out, Or Else: Five Lifesavers To Ease StressIf you’re barely holding it together

stock_colors/Getty Images
Chill Out, Or Else: Five Lifesavers To Ease Stress
If you’re barely holding it together this week, you’re not alone, and the toll of chronic stress isn't limited to emotional suffering. High stress can set the stage for heart disease, too, a new study suggests.

Doctors who studied people diagnosed with a stress-linked condition found they had a 60 percent increased risk of having a heart attack or stroke in the following year, compared to their less-stressed siblings.

Read more five proven tricks for turning down that fight-or-flight stress dial when you need to.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LISREN

Phoenix Tries To Reverse Its 'Silent Storm' Of Heat Deaths
4:27
  • DOWNLOAD
  • " style="display: flex; -webkit-box-align: center; align-items: center; min-height: 35px; width: 170px; margin-top: 14px; padding: 5px 10px; border: 1px solid rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34); color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-size: 1.2rem; cursor: text; -webkit-user-select: all;">
  • TRANSCRIPT

phoenix-cactus_custom-c5415d43115b7313da46bb8e5822a1d198f52e65-s700-c85.jpg

Matt Mawson/Getty Images
There is a moment as heatstroke sets in when the body, no longer able to cool itself, stops sweating. Joey Azuela remembers it well.

"My body felt hot, like, in a different way," he says. "It was like a 'I'm cooking' hot."

Three sum
Say 'I Do' Without The Sweat: Wedding Pros Share How They Beat The Heat
3:56
  • DOWNLOAD
  • " style="display: flex; -webkit-box-align: center; align-items: center; min-height: 35px; width: 170px; margin-top: 14px; padding: 5px 10px; border: 1px solid rgb(68, 68, 68); background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34); color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-size: 1.2rem; cursor: text; -webkit-user-select: all;">
  • TRANSCRIPT
September 2, 20186:19 AM ET
Heard on Weekend Edition Sunday

Twitter
gettyimages-722210479_wide-4deb11d1e82e7f72bc1096cb167718c9cbe58bad-s700-c85.jpg

Shifts in temperature are leading to shifts in the wedding industry as bakers, photographers, florists and the couples they serve think about how to beat the heat on this all-important day.

JGI/Daniel Grill/Getty Images/Blend Images
Melting cakes and melting gue

some people arte not interested/lost interest, if they ever had t

gettyimages-3228681-1-e1555709597604.jpg

A close-up of an Earth day button. Circa 1970. Lambert / Getty Images
BACK IN MY EARTH DAY
Love it or hate it, Earth Day’s just not what it used to be. What happened?
By Kate Yoder on Apr 22, 2019 at 6:04 am

Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
2019-04-22-earthday-15.jpg

Environment

Earth Day: Species at risk
Here's a look at vulnerable species according to the Earth Day Network that play a key role in their ecosystems and face endangerment from human activity.

Reuters

April 22, 2019 · 11:30 AM EDT

A bee collects pollen off a flower in a park in the Bulgaria's capital Sofia.

Earth Day Network, the organizing group that leads Earth Day worldwide, is focusing its efforts for the annual event in 2019 by identifying 14 species that are key to their ecosystems and face endangerment from human activity.

"The unprecedented global destruction and rapid reduction of plant and wildlife populations are directly linked to causes driven by human activity: climate change, deforestation, habitat loss, trafficking and poaching, unsustainable agriculture, pollution and pesticides to name a few," Earth Day Network writes on its website. "The impacts are far reaching."

Here are the 14 species:

Bees

2019-04-22-earthday-16.jpg

Credit:
Heinz-Peter Bader /Reuters

The bee shown above sits on a blade of grass on a lawn in Klosterneuburg, Austria. The European Commission said on Monday it would go ahead and impose a temporary ban on three of the world's most widely used pesticides because of fears they harm bees, despite EU governments failing to agree on the issue.

In a vote on Monday, EU officials could not decide whether to impose a two-year ban — with some exceptions — on a class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, produced mainly by Germany's Bayer and Switzerland's Syngenta. The Commission proposed the ban in January after EU scientists said the chemicals posed an acute risk to honeybees, which pollinate many of the crops grown commercially in Europe.

Giraffes

2019-04-22-earthday-02.jpg

Credit:
Baz Ratner/Reuters

The world's tallest mammals have declined in population, from 155,000 in 1985 to just 80,000 in 2018. The curious creatures drive ecotourism and conservation, which help protect other wildlife in their ecosystem.

The herbivores also play a key role in plant growth, spreading seeds from the fruits and plants they eat. Acacia trees, their main source of food, are under threat from climate change and habitat loss. Giraffes are also poached for their tails and meat, and hunted as trophies.

Coral Reefs

2019-04-22-earthday-03.jpg

Credit:
David Gray/Reuters

These tropical and subtropical features, found in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans, are home to more than a quarter of the planet's marine life — and have a key role for eco-tourism and fisheries. They are threatened by ocean acidification from climate change; pollution from sunscreens, agriculture, sewage and chemicals; coastal development; overfishing; and tourism-related destruction from stepping and anchoring on reefs. Twenty-five percent of reefs around the world are considered damaged beyond repair, and close to 65 percent are under serious threat.

Whales

2019-04-22-earthday-04.jpg

Credit:
Maxi Jonas/Reuters

These marine mammals are facing steep population declines worldwide. Their role in ocean ecosystems is complex: They recycle nutrients by feeding at lower depths and releasing them near the surface, and become food for bottom-dwelling species when they die and sink to the ocean floor.

Their dung provides nutrients for photosynthesizing plankton — scientists estimate that nearly half of the oxygen we breathe comes from this process. These creatures are believed to possess intelligence comparable to humans, with social organization, empathy, speech and knowledge-sharing. Whales are threatened by water and noise pollution, becoming entangled in commercial fishing equipment, commercial hunting, collisions with watercraft and climate change.

Elephants

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
2019-04-22-earthday-05.jpg

Credit:
Baz Ratner/Reuters

The world's largest land animals are capable of complex feelings and thoughts, and have great memory storage and recall in their five-kilogram brains. They attract eco-tourism, which protects wilderness for many species, and are an important link in ecosystems, creating watering holes and spreading seeds for new growth. Elephants are under threat from poaching — over 20,000 are killed for their tusks and skin every year — as well as habitat loss from expanding human populations and climate change.

Insects

2019-04-22-earthday-06.jpg

Credit:
Mike Blake/Reuters

Insects collectively make up 80 percent of all the world's known species — with 200 million insects for every human on Earth. But overall populations have declined 45 percent over the past four decades, causing risks to plant pollination necessary for food production.

Insects are a key component of global ecosystems: Some insects keep other bugs from destroying crops, while others are a food source for other species. Insects are the most vulnerable to climate change, and are also endangered by habitat loss, pesticide use and invasive species.

Trees

2019-04-22-earthday-07.jpg

Credit:
Alexander Kuznetsov/Reuters

Forests play a vital role in ecosystems: Regulating and maintaining carbon balance; providing shelter for animals; creating nutrient-rich soil; and contributing to the water cycle. Trees are also a major economic contributor through the forestry industry. They are under threat from deforestation, climate change, invasive insects and fires.

Plants

2019-04-22-earthday-08.jpg

Credit:
Darrin Zammit Lupi/Reuters

There are more than 380,000 different plant species on Earth, that provide us with food, herbal and pharmaceutical medicine and oxygen. Climate change degrades the soil they grow in and raises sea levels.

Invasive species create competition for resources to the detriment of native plants, while habitat loss comes in the form of urban or agricultural development and fires. Pesticides and insecticides can harm plants and their pollinators, while crop patents reduce biodiversity.

Birds

2019-04-22-earthday-09.jpg

Credit:
Amir Cohen/Reuters

There are roughly 11,000 species of birds, with nearly 40 percent facing significant decline. Birds are scavengers, eliminating waste and remains and eating unwanted agricultural pests. Migratory birds help move seeds and nutrients during their travels. Bird-watching contribute some $40 billion in revenue annually in the United States alone. Among the threats to these creatures are habitat loss, deforestation, climate change and severe weather, plastic and pesticide pollution, and illegal trafficking.

Sharks

2019-04-22-earthday-11.jpg

Credit:
Hugh Gentry/Reuters

Humans are the greatest threat to these apex predators, which have no known marine predators. Sharks maintain the balance of marine populations below them in the food chain. Without sharks, mid-level species would overconsume creatures at the bottom of the food chain.

It can also affect human food supply: When sharks disappear, fish stocks that humans rely on for industry also collapse. Between 2000 and 2010, some 100 million sharks were killed annually — many hunted for their meat and fins or caught by trawling boats as bycatch. Climate change alters their habitats, affecting their ability to reproduce and find food.

Fish

2019-04-22-earthday-10.jpg

Credit:
Toru Hanai/Reuters

There are an estimated 32,000 different species of fish worldwide, 33 percent of which are being fished at unsustainable levels. Overfishing is a destabilizing force in marine ecosystems that affects the entire aquatic food web.

Fish are also an economic driver, with some 120 million people dependent on these species for their incomes. Climate change disrupts their migration, reduces their sizes and threatens the reefs and other habitats that they shelter in. Pollution is also a major threat, with chemicals, waste, fertilizer and oil spills causing harm to fish populations and affecting the seafood that humans eat.

Crustaceans

2019-04-22-earthday-12.jpg

Credit:
Alexandre Meneghini/Reuters

These creatures with exoskeletons are some of the oldest animals on Earth. More than 50,000 known species can be found in fresh and saltwater habitats, playing an important role as food sources for marine animals, recycling nutrients as filter feeders, and decomposing dead organisms.

Crustaceans are also economically important: Blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay of the US generated an estimated $78 million in 2009 alone. They are threatened by ocean acidification which weakens their shells, loss of habitat on coral reefs, overfishing, and plastic pollution — ingesting microplastics that can travel up through the food chain.

Sea turtles

2019-04-22-earthday-13.jpg

Credit:
David Gray/Reuters

These marine reptiles are some of the oldest creatures on Earth, and can be found around the world in tropical and subtropical areas. Though they lay their eggs in sandy coastal areas, they spend their entire lives at sea, feeding on seagrass and foraging in coral reefs.

Demand for their eggs, meat, skin and shells has led to a rapid decline in their populations. Sea turtles are also threatened by coastal development and human disruption of nesting sites, becoming bycatch in fishing nets and lines, mistaking plastic pollution for food, and global warming.

Great apes

2019-04-22-earthday-14.jpg

Credit:
Darren Whiteside/Reuters

Earth Day: Species at risk