Real shorts returning

^ I love that photo of you Bbucko!:smile:
I used to wear the short shorts that Tom Selleck made popular on television in Magnum PI. If still wear the same type when I play tennis. So at least for me they never went out of style.
 
Great pic Bbucko & still looking good.

Short mebswear has always been popular but I agree that swimming shorts have become way too long. I recently bought Russel Athletic shorts from Amazon & they should be called longs!
 
What makes you think that your interests are the same as other people? I think it is an interesting article because I hate long shorts and have battled the past 5 years or so to find reasonable shorts.

I think the article is off the mark in saying that surfers led the trend, the long boardshorts are a lot less comfortable than shorter boardshorts, whether surfing, just wet or flapping in the breeze.

Yesterday I was flipping through the May issue of Surfing magazine. It has a big section on the current ranges of boardshorts from all of the manufacturers. Many are now offering boardshorts in medium and short lengths in addition to the long ones.

Best news of a change in trend that I have seen in a long time.

Isn't it amazing that people actually get paid to write that sort of article?
And that they think others are interested!
 
'bout time!

Above the knee = shorts

Below the knee = fire your seamstress cuz she done messed up yo pants
 
I owned the short-short look from the late 70s (teen years) through the mid-lateish 80s (sleazy club look, worn with big, steel-toes boots), and have always hated the "long short", though they were part of my standard wardrobe for more mixed social occasions from the mid-late 80s on.

Though I never had much of a booty, I've always had (and still, to a degree continue to have) killer, muscular legs. Here's a moldy oldie of a look I call my "RollerGirl" period in 1978, when I was 18. Compare them to my legs in my gallery and you'll see: they're still there.


And to think I remember you looking like that. :wink:

It's about time real shorts came back. I'm so sick of calf-length culottes I could scream.
 
Ok I guess I will jump in in favor of the long style boardshorts. The crotch-strangling-man-diapers of the 60's and 70's are terrible. If you're wearing them and are the slightest bit overweight, you say to the world, "look at my jiggly thighs". If you do a triathalon a month and are so in shape it hurts, then wearing them will just make you look like Gandhi. Lose, lose. I'll keep my over-the-kneecap shorts.
 
This is funny because in the music scene I'm associated with its either basketball shorts or 2 to 3 inches above the knee... And everyone is fine with that... Now I do have a reason to wear shorter shorts to the beach without my
Gf thinking I'm trying to show off hahah.
 
I hope more tradies and guys with ample rumps start wearing these in more abundance because tbh there is nothing hotter than seeing a really fit builder / tradie swagger around in a pair of these instead of boardies or jeans.

Ruggers - Product
 
I owned the short-short look from the late 70s (teen years) through the mid-lateish 80s (sleazy club look, worn with big, steel-toes boots), and have always hated the "long short", though they were part of my standard wardrobe for more mixed social occasions from the mid-late 80s on.

They started out as Bermuda shorts and just ket getting longer and baggier, until they went below the knee sometime in the 90s. I remember threatening to bring back short-shorts in 2004-05 to be met with hoots and sneers of derision, but have seen them make a comeback in the last 2-3 years (very slowly, beginning with the fetish/avant garde fashion communities).

Though I never had much of a booty, I've always had (and still, to a degree continue to have) killer, muscular legs. Here's a moldy oldie of a look I call my "RollerGirl" period in 1978, when I was 18. Compare them to my legs in my gallery and you'll see: they're still there.

You were one cute dude back in 1978!
 
I use to like the PE shorts we wore in the 70s. I'd wear them to cut the grass or even to lay in the sun. But I also had regular shorts by Ocean Pacific that were pretty much the norm for shorts back then. I don't think they would fly today but something about that length would be fine for me.

The white shorts on the guy in the middle are my style and wish more guys would wear them - especially when sitting around at the cafe or food court. We'd all have more to look for. :biggrin1:

I found this: http://www.rustyzipper.com/mens/shorts In case you're looking for vintage shorts.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
In Sweden, or atleast here in my town, everyone wears "short shorts", shorts to the knees or below are a big NO-NO. I used to wear those, but since they got so out of fashion I've re-adjusted, and I'm wearing shorts right now.. shorter than the white ones in the picture of the poster above me. A lot of guys wear even shorter than me, and tighter - as short and tight as "girl" shorts. If you wear shorts down to the knees you stand out here. ;P
 
There are older guys in the Czech Republic who wear shorts like you describe Happyboi. They are fairly tight fitting and when the guys sit you cannot see up the legs (unfortunately). I would prefer shorts that at least "breath" - meaning, they open when you walk or sit down.
 
There are older guys in the Czech Republic who wear shorts like you describe Happyboi. They are fairly tight fitting and when the guys sit you cannot see up the legs (unfortunately). I would prefer shorts that at least "breath" - meaning, they open when you walk or sit down.

Yeah, I agree. Mid-thigh is a nice length but they must be quite loose for comfort and to let the breeze circulate. Short and tight is not cool (literally) and crushes the crotch.