Religion?

da_blissmachine: no offense but the website Monstro provided a link too looked a little partisan... like maybe they merely made the claim to prove themselves to be more "christian" than others.

and, no, one can't TOTALLY discount freud but I dont think he deserves most of the credit he gets. Like so many in this day and age, he is of the dangerous ilk who adds 95% of lies and 1/2 truths to 5% of true evidence.

awellhungboi: yeah, that's one of those 'ultra-fundamentalist' websites. People who believe that sort of thing are pretty partisan.

I blithely waltzed into a mindfield. I apologize. I didn't mean to insult anyone's beliefs. I'm going to drop it.

da_blissmachine: its ok those weird people can make themselves so convincing with the lovely lights and whistles on their websites... 99.999999% of the internet is false

then again a whole deal else is too

most are partisan, even in fields where they should not be... some persons revered as our most "brilliant" thinkers and scientists I doubt are really that intelligent or may be booksmart but jump to conclusions too easily and do not see past their own prejudices and assumptions; quite childlike. our entire society is quite immature

this does not surprise me as we are surely nearing the apex of Kali and Satya Yuga

awellhungboi: thanks, but again, it's not a matter of true or false . . . my initial point is that some people believe that some things are phallic symbols. I just brought it up. Not as a point to be proven or disproven, or as an attempt to discredit anyone's religion.

These things don't just make themselves up, though. They don't just appear on the Internet from nowhere. They come from somewhere. There's a wellspring of history, sociology, and mythology, architecture to draw upon. I may not have the ability to do such a complex subject justice in such a limited, off-the-cuff medium, and with such limited time (I'm going to be late for work yipes!) but c'est la vie

Regardless, I didn't express myself adequately, so now I'm disturbed. I feel misunderstood. :(

awellhungboi: Okay, since I'm obsessive-compulsive, and since my initial 'Freud' 'feminism' and 'ultra-fundamentalist' post was perhaps too fatuous to effectively get my point across (although one may admire the alliteration), here, in a nutshell, is the point I'm trying to make, and one I hope everyone will sincerely entertain in the good-natured spirit in which it's offered.

If I write 'Napoleon stood eight feet tall and he is famous for inventing the all-natural cough drop' well, that's a demonstrably false statement. 'Uh-huh,' you reply, 'nope. Ain't a grain of truth to it.' If I write 'The earth is approximately 93 million miles from the sun. It takes the sun's light around eight minutes to reach the earth,' you can go outside, perform some experiments (or look it up in an encyclopedia) and return and post 'By cracky, I think you've got it!'

But if I write 'a steeple is a phallic symbol' that's not a statement of fact, it's an interpretation--a state of mind, if you will. Now, you may respond with 'I find that offensive--a steeple represents the spirtual, and to say it focuses on the corporeal is to degrade it." My response to that is to apologize, because I have no desire to offend, and because I can't argue, "No, you don't find that offensive."

If you respond, "Hey, I like that, since I believe we're made in God's image I think having a symbol of regeneration on the church is very life affirming,' my response is, "cool, interesting idea.' Not, "No, you don't."

But for you to respond that a steeple is absolutely not a phallic symbol, and everyone who believes that is wrong, or worse, stupid, is simply not a tenable position. Symbols are fluid, not rigid (well, so to speak), and what may look like a duck one second, looks like a rabbit the next (to use an analogy)

I don't know if Christopher Wren sat chuckling at his desk, like Butthead, everytime he drew a spire, "hehe, looks like a penis," but it's certainly crossed a lot of people's minds when they look at obelisks. Did you ever see the Simpsons where they go to Washington and they're standing in front of the Washington Monument and Marge leans to Homer and whispers, giggling, into his ear, and Homer rolls his eyes and says, "Oh, Marge, grow up!"

I don't have the time and energy to write a history of Gothic architecture, or Egyptian sun worship, or quote extended passages of Henry Adams. People saw and thought about these things long before Freud, he just codified such things into an extended system. A flawed one, yes.

I feel like Giordano Bruno, just before they burned him. I'm, frankly, a little surprised that people at LPSG find this idea so alarming. I thought it was self-evident, or else I wouldn't have even brought it up.

ORCABOMBER: Monstro, no worries, symbols and metaphors almost seem to rule my life. Is this a keyboard, or a method of communication?

Maybe I should stop watching T he Matrix! :D

awellhungboi: lol, thanks Tony!

I know what everyone's thinking . . . "Maybe you should start smoking again, Monstro . . . Jeez."

You ought to see what I've been like IRL the past two weeks. Surly, moody, weepy, fickle, euphoric, and touchy. And that's all before breakfast . . .

da_blissmachine: The simplist explanation is usually the best. Steeples probably began with some practical purpose and became more simbolica and decorated later.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are a few reasons that Christianity is lacking in the phallic/sexual imagery that is present in so many world religions.

First, let us remember that Christianity was at its inception a sect of Judaism. Jesus and the apostles were devout Jews; Jesus himself was a Rabbi. When the Israelites entered Canaan, they were confronted with the fertility rituals of the Canaanites. Phallic symbols and ritual prostitution abounded in this environment. The interpetation of God's Law had two purposes: that Abraham's descendants (the Jews) would number as the stars, and that they would be a distinct people with a distinct religion not likely to be confused with that of others. Though some of the Israelites celebrated the worship of the fertility god Tammuz and some had idols in their homes (mentioned in the Old Testament), this was not looked upon with favour. Symbolism associated with fertility cults were eschewed by the Jewish people.

Add to this the story of the fall of man. Remember that Adam and Eve didn't realise that they were naked until they had eaten the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Perception of nudity reminded the Jews (and Christians) of human transgression against the will of God: naked = sinful.

In the early days of Christianity, there were cults like those of Cybele, Dionysus and Adonis, among others. Very sexually oriented fertility religions that were often celebrated with orgies and with huge phalluses as their totems. The Christians definitely wanted to distinguish themselves from the pagans, which was not so easy to do. The myths concerning Attis, Osiris, Dionysus, Adonis, Cernunnos, Balder and especially Mithras were resurrection stories easily confused with the Christian account of the Passion of the Christ. Pagan symbols did find their way into Christianity, but the more obvious examples, like phallic symbols, were kept out.

awellhungboi: Well said, DMW, but I think some would claim that such sexual symbolisms weren't so much kept out as they were occulted. Seventh Day Adventists, and their offshoots (which I am not a part of, btw), for example, feel very strongly that church spires are phallic symbols. And they view such things as corruptions for precisely the reasons you list.

da_blissmachine: often I think in order to find those you have to be looking for them... makes me whonder about THEM and how pure THEIR minds are

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=da_blissmachine link=board=meetgreet;num=1063159525;start=100#112 date=10/31/03 at 19:09:10]often I think in order to find those you have to be looking for them... makes me whonder about THEM and how pure THEIR minds are[/quote]

'Looking for them'? More like 'inventing them'.

da_blissmachine: if you look hard enough for something you will find it... sometimes even if it isn't really there

Ineligible: A very interesting analysis, DMW. I'd only take issue with one comment:

[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=meetgreet;num=1063159525;start=100#110 date=10/31/03 at 18:56:31]Remember that Adam and Eve didn't realise that they were naked until they had eaten the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.[/quote]
The text says that Adam and Eve were naked but not ashamed. The implication is, not that they were unaware of nudity, but that it wasn't a problem until the Fall. In the prelapsarian state, sex was no problem; postlapsarianally, it was. (I wonder if "postlapsarianally" is a word?)

da_blissmachine: "realized they were naked"... peculiar... for me nudity was more a symbol of innocence than shame

bigstr8bulge

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Confirmed member of the Episcopal Church, USA here....so half-way Protestant, half-way Catholic. I am of the group that opposes the consecration of the Rev. Canon V. Gene Robinson (actually occuring accross the country as I type). It's such a frustrating issue because it IS NOT about homosexuality, its about the myriad of problems in ECUSA over the last 30 years that have finally come to a head over this issue....the liberals (no offense) have pushed and pushed and pushed and us moderates (real conservatives left the Episcopal Church years ago) have for the first time pushed back. Well it looks as if they will be pushing themselves out of the Anglican Communion. I for one intend to stay.

And yes, I agree with others. Hung Christians have the same stuff to deal with as others, have the same emotions and reactions about their dick, and feel the same things...nothing barring a "conservative" from fully participating here...

Reactions: Summer of 1973

prepstudinsc: The problem of a split is going to all come down to $$$.
If the ECUSA splits in two, they might have to do what the Presbyterian Church USA did back in the late 80's when lots of churches split off into the Presbyterian Church in America and what is now the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. The PCUSA had a time frame that if a congregation voted to leave the denomination, it could keep the church property. If it left after the deadline, the PCUSA kept the church property and the people who left would have to start from scratch. The church I attended in college voted to leave after the deadline had passed, and because they couldn't afford to buy the property from the Presbytery, they had to stay in the denomination. They ended up being a very vocal force for keeping things on track and not getting so liberal.

Many people are focusing on the ordination of Rev. Canon Robinson, but you are right, this is the culmination of years of internal struggle over many different issues. Unfortunately, since this is the issue that has come to a head, it's all people can focus on.
I hope that a resolution can be made, but it's such a hot topic, I don't know that people are thinking rationally.
Emotions are controlling many of the discussions.

All the churches can do is pray....it's all any of us can do.

da_blissmachine: thats the problem witht he dogmatic nature of christianithy...

Hinduism has not experienced a split in... welll... ever

and its existed 5 times as long as christianity

not to be critical i deffinitely see the value in christianity but i thinkt that the squiveling of church leaders compromises christ's message