Robin Thicke

devlon

Legendary Member
Media
u just know he'd be a kinky lover -- prolly pull ur face into his ass and say, lick it bitch. heh. not that i'd mind

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
agree! Fun Gaga is back! She was having so much fun and yet she still looks very iconic and classy.

unlike this ex-hannah montana too trying hard

Gaga, iconic? She's the Walmart Madonna on Halloween night!:biggrin1: The word 'iconic' is thrown around far too much these days. If she's still around in 5-10 years then she might be considered an icon then but it's far too soon to say that now especially of someone who's known to simply rip off other artist's ideas without giving due credit.

Last edited:

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Looked impressive in the tight pants he had on last nite at the VMA's as he did "Blurred Lines" with Miley hitting up all his important nether regions. (He needs to wear that vertically lined suit 24/7.)

I thought he looked a bit overweight in his middle section at the VMAs. In fact, him, TI and Pharrell all remind me of your emabarrassing uncle drunkenly dancing around at a wedding party in the video for Blurred Lines, which wouldn't really bother except they all give off vibes which suggest they're think they're the bees knees.

pinokio

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Gaga, iconic? She's the Walmart Madonna on Halloween night!:biggrin1: The word 'iconic' is thrown around far too much these days. If she's still around in 5-10 years then she might be considered an icon then but it's far too soon to say that now especially of someone who's known to simply rip off other artist's ideas without giving due credit.

I don't like Gaga too much and I agree that she is no match to Madonna that she's tried to copy... But I think she is iconic and her performances for 2009, 2010 or even 2013 VMAs prove it. In only 5 years she has made a popcultural impact bigger than anyone during that time. Madonna should thank her for publicity.

I thought he looked a bit overweight in his middle section at the VMAs. In fact, him, TI and Pharrell all remind me of your emabarrassing uncle drunkenly dancing around at a wedding party in the video for Blurred Lines, which wouldn't really bother except they all give off vibes which suggest they're think they're the bees knees.

True... He's not overweight maybe but fore sure has some body ;) Still, if someone likes such types, they may appear really hot. Although Pharrell is a total tun off, he just looks like an old carrot dressed in cosmic pyjamas! For me Thicke is a bit too much of a joker to be the 'IT' guy, however I wouldn't mind to see him giving all those girls who dance with him a good time.

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't like Gaga too much and I agree that she is no match to Madonna that she's tried to copy... But I think she is iconic and her performances for 2009, 2010 or even 2013 VMAs prove it. In only 5 years she has made a popcultural impact bigger than anyone during that time. Madonna should thank her for publicity.

I can remember the Paparazzi performance with all the fake blood, but the other two you mention aren't ringing any bells, so if the general public struggle to remember stuff she's done, I don't see how they considered iconic.

As for her pop cultural impact? Like what? Getting photographed in a meat dress? Most people seem to treat her as a bit of a joke so I guess that might count as having a 'pop cultural impact', bit not quite what she intended.

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

To me, Lady Gaga shows more Grace Jones influence than Madonna influence. People are quick to jump on the "She's copying Madonna" bandwagon, but Gaga has shown that she's influenced by everyone from Bowie and Springsteen to Dale Bozzio, Janet and yes, even Madonna. But to give her the "Oh, she's copying Madonna again" charge with every new release is just ridiculous. Grace Jones was renown for her wild getups and stage antics back in the day (and today, as well), and Gaga is almost a new generation reflection of that. As for her never giving credit to other artists, well, I do recall Gaga speaking at length about how all of the people I named have inspired her. She even put something to that effect in the liner notes of her first CD about MJ, Prince and Madonna. And speaking of an artist who takes from artists who've come before her without do credit, well, we could write a book on Madonna and that subject. Hell, there are websites dedicated to how Madonna has ripped off other artists over the years and never given credit for it. Anyway, Gaga is probably the most interesting and talked about female pop star of her generation (Beyonce is more R&B than pop, Katy Perry is sugary, boring and bland, and Rihanna is a general mess and always seems indifferent to it all). It may be too soon to call her an icon, but she's definitely on her way there.

Now, off my soapbox and back to the topic at hand. Robin and his THICKness can get it all day, every day. LOL.

Last edited:

pinokio

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Oh yeah. So. Where is this Thicke's ding dong ? I believe it's the most overrated part of body which has not been revealed ever, in the whole universe. And I don't like it :)

I can remember the Paparazzi performance with all the fake blood, but the other two you mention aren't ringing any bells

The VMA Paparazzi's enough ;)
There was no such pop star before her, at least as far as I have known. So she has made herself into an icon immediately. She is like a queen of fan service... annoying and boring after being funny for a few minutes. But - queen.
Her newest steps may seem disappointing but she deserves attention, and she gets it.

Balljunkie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To me, Lady Gaga shows more Grace Jones influence than Madonna influence. People are quick to jump on the "She's copying Madonna" bandwagon, but Gaga has shown that she's influenced by everyone from Bowie and Springsteen to Dale Bozzio, Janet and yes, even Madonna. But to give her the "Oh, she's copying Madonna again" charge with every new release is just ridiculous. Grace Jones was renown for her wild getups and stage antics back in the day (and today, as well), and Gaga is almost a new generation reflection of that. As for her never giving credit to other artists, well, I do recall Gaga speaking at length about how all of the people I named have inspired her. She even put something to that effect in the liner notes of her first CD about MJ, Prince and Madonna. And speaking of an artist who takes from artists who've come before her without do credit, well, we could write a book on Madonna and that subject. Hell, there are websites dedicated to how Madonna has ripped off other artists over the years and never given credit for it. Anyway, Gaga is probably the most interesting and talked about female pop star of her generation (Beyonce is more R&B than pop, Katy Perry is sugary, boring and bland, and Rihanna is a general mess and always seems indifferent to it all). It may be too soon to call her an icon, but she's definitely on her way there.

Now, off my soapbox and back to the topic at hand. Robin and his THICKness can get it all day, every day. LOL.

Very well said. I agree.

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

I'm not saying that Gaga doesn't look to other music artists like Grace Jones and David Bowie, but it's quite clear to me that, overall, she's used Madonna as her main template. Producing commercial dance pop and highly theatrical videos and stage shows and mixing in 'controversy', religion, high fashion, sexuality etc is all very Madonna.

Madonna attended her first tour and when Gaga was interviewed about this, rather than being flattered that the Queen of Pop had come to see one of her shows, she talked about Madonna's daughter, Lourdes, instead. It seemed like an obvious attempt to deflect attention away from the extent to which she's influenced by, and yes, copies, Madonna.

When Born This Way was released as a single, everyone started saying it reminded them of Express Yourself, but when Gaga accepted an award a few days later it was Whitney Houston who she specifically thanked for inspiring the song, not Madonna.

So, no. I don't think Gaga does give proper credit, and she's actually told UK chat show host Jonathan Ross, that she's inspired by 'no one':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpqbUi8Yl4

Perhaps none of this would really matter but she talks all the time about how 'innovative', 'avant garde' and 'artistic' she is when more than any of the other current pop girls, like Katy Perry or Rihanna, she's ripping people off left and right: someone needs to tell her there's nothing avant garde about copying.

And to end, here are just a few examples Gaga jacking Madonna's image:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/PryncessIsBlessed07/Blogging/lg5.png?t=1305011237

http://www.zootpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gaga3.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_38T64sfKt...0/joanne_lady_gaga_goober_wannabe_madonna.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_38T64sfKt...JsN93KM/s400/joanne_wannabe_big_ugly_joke.jpg

buffaloboy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Oh yeah. So. Where is this Thicke's ding dong ? I believe it's the most overrated part of body which has not been revealed ever, in the whole universe. And I don't like it :)

The VMA Paparazzi's enough ;)
There was no such pop star before her, at least as far as I have known. So she has made herself into an icon immediately. She is like a queen of fan service... annoying and boring after being funny for a few minutes. But - queen..

I don't believe any one can make themselves into an icon 'immediately'. It just doesn't work like that.

AJnCJ

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Meh....not a bad looking guy. Very "avg joe" build with what appears to be a nice ass. As far as looks go I think he's very handsome and hasn't a thing to worry about. As far as singing goes. I'd rather be serenaded by Josh Grobin.:tongue:

thee1

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not saying that Gaga doesn't look to other music artists like Grace Jones and David Bowie, but it's quite clear to me that, overall, she's used Madonna as her main template. Producing commercial dance pop and highly theatrical videos and stage shows and mixing in 'controversy', religion, high fashion, sexuality etc is all very Madonna.

Madonna attended her first tour and when Gaga was interviewed about this, rather than being flattered that the Queen of Pop had come to see one of her shows, she talked about Madonna's daughter, Lourdes, instead. It seemed like an obvious attempt to deflect attention away from the extent to which she's influenced by, and yes, copies, Madonna.

When Born This Way was released as a single, everyone started saying it reminded them of Express Yourself, but when Gaga accepted an award a few days later it was Whitney Houston who she specifically thanked for inspiring the song, not Madonna.

So, no. I don't think Gaga does give proper credit, and she's actually told UK chat show host Jonathan Ross, that she's inspired by 'no one':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpqbUi8Yl4

Perhaps none of this would really matter but she talks all the time about how 'innovative', 'avant garde' and 'artistic' she is when more than any of the other current pop girls, like Katy Perry or Rihanna, she's ripping people off left and right: someone needs to tell her there's nothing avant garde about copying.

And to end, here are just a few examples Gaga jacking Madonna's image:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/PryncessIsBlessed07/Blogging/lg5.png?t=1305011237

http://www.zootpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gaga3.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_38T64sfKt...0/joanne_lady_gaga_goober_wannabe_madonna.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_38T64sfKt...JsN93KM/s400/joanne_wannabe_big_ugly_joke.jpg

All that is fine, but using people as an inspiration or template is part of the pop music game. Madonna herself has used everyone from Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Debbie Harry, etc. as templates, and sometimes out and out copies many photos of old world movie stars, singers, etc. (Prince's girl group Vanity 6 were truly the ones who started the being on stage in lingerie fad, but Madonna got the credit. Jody Watley was voguing long before Madonna was...) As I've said, there are sites dedicated to showing how much of a "rip-off artist" Madonna can be at times. She's even been sued several times for ripping off other people's songs. That's just the name of the game in pop music. As for BTW sounding like EY, I've always been in the camp that just can't hear it. They may have a similar cadence, but as for BTW being a total rip-off, to me, it's just not so. But again, that's pop music. Some songs just sound similar, even if it's not the intention of the artist.

Speaking of Robin Thicke (since this is his thread and not Madonna's or Gaga's), his hit BLURRED LINES is currently making headlines for blatantly sampling Marvin Gaye's GOT TO GIVE IT UP without giving credit. Now that is a sampling where I can see how people are noticing that one has blatantly copied the other, but as for BORN THIS WAY sounding like EXPRESS YOURSELF, it just ain't so.