Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
My Gym - LA Fitness, just opened up a new location and it has a sauna, the old one did not, what do I wear in the sauna? Briefs? Nakid? Everytime I walk by the sauna, nobody is using it and very few people even use the showers, at least during the times I am there.

Seems very few people get nakid at this gym, where when I was a member of the YMCA, there was a lot of nakid guys walking around in the locker room. Definetly a lot more hot bodies at LA Fitness, do you think guys are afraid to show it off in fear of other guys looking at their package and hitting on them?

I wear hot designer briefs (low rise Cin2's usually) and have a mostly shaved/trimmed dick and balls as I am sure a lot of other guys do to, do you think guys are uncomfortable showing their shaved package to other guys?

What do I wear into the sauna?

AgHarley

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My gym in Northern Virginia (Golds Ballston), most dudes are buck naked but carry a towel.

At night, about 8:00, this is a pretty active sauna with dudes strokin each other. A few even go off to the showers together.
If anyone still works out at this gym can you confirm if the sauna scene is still active?

Reactions: justliving

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would wear a towel, if only to sit on while in the sauna. It's a matter of hygiene.

Isn't there someone at the front desk you could ask?

D

deleted213967

I vote for the towel...

Sanitary, comfortable and flexible...

If you're alone there or with well-adjusted guys, you can leave it open. If not, you can cover your junk.

One thing I don't get is guys who sit on those towels in the sauna / steam room and then recycle that towel to wipe their face dry after the shower...

:confused:

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dude - why in the hell would you wear Cin2s or shorts in the sauna? That is crazy and not comfortable. A towel will do the trick and then if you are confortable open the towel and sit or lie on it. Listen to Frankie and relax.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
At the sauna at my gym, I sit naked on a towel. I've never seen anybody in there with shorts or a swimsuit on.

kilteddong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'd wear a towel for b/c of questionable hygene of others.

Feels the same as wearing a kilt !! Love it !! :cool:

inwait8

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As was already said... bring a towel to sit on for sanitary reasons. If the sauna is that new then there probably is not a "standard" of what to do. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable at least you have the towel to wrap around you.

cgttown

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Most sauna makers recommend using them sans clothing of any type. Shower before you go in. You'll want a towel with you to sit on not just for the "germs," but also because often the seats are hot, even the wood ones. Sitting on the towel is preferable.

Most guys in the sauna at my gym (including me) leave the "junk" uncovered because it does help the pores to breathe and encourages sweating, which is usually the point of using the sauna anyway.

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Naked with a towel tied around your waist, until such time as it becomes obvious that the towel can be removed. Whether you're the one to remove it or not is up to you.

eastbaydude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've spent a ton of time in the gym and therefore in the lockerroom.

Unless the sauna is coed, you'll be totally cool nude.

If you're going from you locker to the sauna, wear the towel around your waist.

If you're showering first, which I suggest, you can carry it.

When you get in the sauna, lay it on the bench and sit on it. If there's room, you can lie down on it too.

Have fun and relax.

JohnDoeXXXm

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
In either the sauna or the steam room, Lots of guys at my club wear their gym shorts or swim trunks if they aren't planning staying beyond just a couple minutes. I've seen a few guys wear boxerbriefs that look like squarecut speedos or a very trim cycle short, but this is extremely rare and these guys are usually looked at with some sort of disregard by others in the room.

Most of the guys will wrap their towels around their waist and walk from the showers to the sauna, come inside, and sit down. That's where the behavior deviates: how the guy uses the simple white towel.

Some guys will lay their towel down and sit fully naked on it, fully exposed. Some guys will sit bare-cheeked on the tiles (steamroom) or boards (dry sauna) and instead lay their towel across their lap, draping their lap and legs for modesty sake. A few guys will sit on one edge, and flip the opposite edge into their lap to cover the junk, but leaving one leg/cheek fully exposed. I've even witnessed guys doing situps or bends, etc in there and that really annoys me- it's meant to be a place of quiet reflexion, not an extension of the workout floor.

Most of the guys I seem to sit across from will instead keep their towel reasonably tight around them, which creates the "kilt" look- and then they place their hands in their laps on their towels- usually right on their balls. Sometimes you sit at an angle (across from, above, below...) that means you look right up their skirt. Some guys are obsessive about eliminating any sightlines whatsoever. Others are oblivious to it. Some show off intentionally, others are so homophobic that you wonder why they are in their in the first place.

Depending on comfort level, some guys will come in and sit, and loosen the wrap at the waist as they sit, which will make it a bit more comfortable to sit without a tight wrap at the waist. This is the "norm"- however it can also mean that the towel may open a bit at the waist, which puts the undercarriage on full view to the guy opposite from you on the bench.

To be honest, if I know the guy I am sitting across from, or if I feel comfortable with him, I won't worry about what is visible if I am in the steam room or sauna. After using the same club for almost a year and a half at around the same time, most of the guys aren't strangers- and so I don't panic about my body. I might notice a buddy admiring my body, and while I don't FLAUNT I don't rush to cover up, either. It can be flattering or it can be a real turnoff really fast- it just depends on who is there.

It comes down to comfort. While there are guys my age and who are athletic fit/trim, there are A LOT of old, fat, disgusting and unattractive guys who I NEVER see actually working out. Instead, they are hanging out in the Sauna or Steam room like it's a gay bath house. When those guys are present, I either wrap up tight or I get up and leave.

It's not that I'm an ageist or an elitist, or that I'm arrogant. It's just a matter of comfort- I will show my body to whom I choose in the manner I decide, and I won't put up with a visual rape by a bunch of old men with no sense of self control. That's what makes me uncomfortable.

Sometimes I feel like there should be some sort of ticket required for entry and that you can only sit in the sauna/ steam room if you have worked out in the gym and earned the right to be there. That would change a lot of attendance at our gym- and what a great incentive to get fit!

ofla

Just Browsing
Media
I had an LA Fitness membership and at my normal club there really was no norm. Some guys wore underwear, some towels, and others sweats, I guess they wanted to warm up before their workouts.

Personally after my workout I would strip down, wrap a towel around me, and go into the sauna. Once in the sauna I'd loosen my towel or just use it to sit on. If someone came in nude I did nothing and continued relaxing. If someone would come in covered up and seemed uncomfortable with nudity, I would toss the flap of my towel over my junk and continue relaxing.

I suggest you get a feel for it, I visited another LA Fitness that had a printout on the sauna door that read swimsuits were required.

I guess it all boils down to the majority of the members at the club. I miss LA Fitness, I now go to a club with co-ed saunas so I seldom use it because the steam and swim trunks cause more discomfort than pleasure.