Self imposed ugliness

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When they start making warm rain and mist proof clothes that breathe Portland will be the fashion envy of the nation. Why have any fancy clothes under that North Face parka (Portlander's berka) if it's not going to see the light of day? lol.

Perhaps so, earl. I live in that North Face parka much of the winter.

SpeedoGuy's FOREIGN FASHION INTELLIGENCE REPORT:

After observing foreign fashion during visits to other cool or rainy places abroad I'm becoming increasingly convinced Portland could do a little better in the clothing department, males and females. Perhaps I was just dazzled by the novelty of living and working in far off lands but when I returned to Portland I was a bit put off by the drab and careless manner of I dress I encounter so often here.

I never imagined I'd hear myself say this but I'm gonna say it: The care we take in how we dress (at least for some occasions) does say a bit about us and our values. I'm not suggesting haughty, elitist, fashion snobbery (I"m even more put off by that) but perhaps a pair of slacks or a dress might brighten our days.

Just a thought....

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Perhaps so, earl. I live in that North Face parka much of the winter.

SpeedoGuy's FOREIGN FASHION INTELLIGENCE REPORT:

After observing foreign fashion during visits to other cool or rainy places abroad I'm becoming increasingly convinced Portland could do a little better in the clothing department, males and females. Perhaps I was just dazzled by the novelty of living and working in far off lands but when I returned to Portland I was a bit put off by the drab and careless manner of I dress I encounter so often here.

I never imagined I'd hear myself say this but I'm gonna say it: The care we take in how we dress (at least for some occasions) does say a bit about us and our values. I'm not suggesting haughty, elitist, fashion snobbery (I"m even more put off by that) but perhaps a pair of slacks or a dress might brighten our days.

Just a thought....

I think it's that California fashionista coming thru there Speedo. Now if you were from Seattle...well you'd think Portland was the epicenter of couture.

Strange how when one goes up from Orange County up thru Nor Cal to Oregon then to Seattle how the fashion goes from anal retentive to more grunge looking. Then once you cross over into to Vancouver BC it starts to be like Orange County again. Odd.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and merely an opinion. To some its beauty, to some the same is ugly. As long as you are happy and comforatable with YOURSELF, who cares what others opinions of you are . Unless someone else is truly responsible for your well-being, happiness and support, it shouldnt matter what others think of you. Do your thing, own it and be happy....

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
- Facial and body hair - trimmers are a great invention.

I agree with most of what you wrote, dongalong, but I do NOT subscribe to the view that facial and/or body hair is unattractive. In particular, the body hair--for men, that is--should be trimmed and/or removed completely is a very recent one, and I sincerely hope that it does not last.

- - Becoming overweight - from hour glass to barrel shaped thanks to a McDonalds diet and no exercise.

I am pear-shaped, thank you very much, and it wasn't exactly a conscious choice.

Happy2BeHere

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree with a lot of the beauty destroyers already mentioned. Acrylic nails, platinum blonde hair dye (or any shade too far away from one's natural colour) and gaudy jewellery can also diminish one's natural good looks. I also agree with the person who mentioned manscaping - guys, your body hair is appealing! Sometimes I wish I could walk up to an obviously insecure, overdone person and say to them, "YOUR PHYSICAL VESSEL IS PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE" without them taking it the wrong way. :(

Niss87Maxx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is sad that so many try to hang on to youth by any means possible. Make up,surgeries,etc. Why can't people just age gracefully? They look their best when they do. All others look like fakes. They look like something that secret government fucility messed up on. Nothing out of place. No imperfections. Non human looking. Throw away the make up ladies and some males, stop trying to be like other people you see on tv or hear on the radio. Be yourself and the world will be a better place and everything else will fall into place like it should.

Drazil30

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Beauty comes from within....and if you look good on the outside as well..then you got the total package!

fangirl

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Beauty is totally subjective. some alter thier bodies to fit in and others to stand out. depends on whether you think beauty is an expression of the surrounding culture or self and status.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A thread about how one person views beauty? Oh please. :tongue:

It's so subjective you can't make a list and tick stuff off that you think will comply with everyone.

EDIT: (Wait.. comply.. comply.. is that even a word? I'm a bit tired. xD)

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i might fall under the camp of self-imposed fugly.

i've seen my hide all gilded up in girlie drag, and i am quite the looker. i've seen me in dead on boy gear... i make a damn fine young man, with a slight hustler slant.

i'm more comfortable with the masculine presentation than the uber-femme costume. from the shoes being more comfortable, to feeling awkward drawing so much attention when dressed to accentuate my curves.

the strangest is how people react to me, when i am in all my feminine glory... men expect a very specific, and imo restrictive, expectations of behavior. men act more possessive and almost dismissive.. when i am dressed pure-Mickey i am one of the guys. burping is encourage and profanity a must.

women are more consistent... mostly, when in boy gear, women want to give me make-overs :confused:

is fun to walk both sides of the road.

on the regular.. i'm dykey/tomboyish. i could have a more flattering hair cut (holding fast to the belief that Wednesday Addams braids are making a comeback), i could dress in more figure friendly attire, i could opt for contacts over nerd specs... but all the ill-fitting, mismatch, inside out and wash worn fabrics are totally me.

i don't put much energy into seeking designer label validation