Self imposed ugliness

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by dongalong, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dongalong

Gold Member

I know that beauty is subjective but there are some things that totally destroy the natural good looks that some lucky people have:

- Eye brow plucking - it can make a huge improvement if done well but if overdone, it ages a woman, enhances defects and creates odd facial expressions. Men who do it can look fake and drag queen-like.

- Fake tans - anyone seen those orange skinned fakesters?

- Smoking - it ages the skin quickly and adds extra frown lines everywhere.

- Toasting in the sun - too much sun makes skin leather-like and leaves spots of pigment all over the place

- Piercings that look like warts

- Tattoos - some look so cool, others just look hideous or ridiculous.

- Becoming overweight - from hour glass to barrel shaped thanks to a McDonalds diet and no exercise.

- Hairstyles - you just have to watch a makeover TV show to see what a difference a good hairstyle makes

- Facial and body hair - trimmers are a great invention :wink:

- Plastic surgery - Michael Jackson (need I say more?)

- Make up - when it looks like a mask, something's wrong

- Extreme weight loss - when somone goes from slim to skinny

I often wonder where some people get their "beauty" tips from. :confused:

#1 dongalong, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Uniqueness.

3. dongalong

Gold Member

Uniqueness is great, it makes the world a more interesting place but those who destroy their good looks, destroy all their advantages, I don't get it.

4. earllogjam

Gold Member

I thought this thread was going to be about women and men who purposely make themselves less attractive so as not to draw attention to themselves. Like wearing baggy clothes to cover their body, buying drab cheap clothes, always wearing baseball caps and seldom wearing any skin revealing things. It's a way of dealing with the world for some.

People do purposely make themselves less attractive, believe it or not. I have done it as a way to fit into a comfort zone being more of an introvert.

#4 earllogjam, Mar 20, 2009
  5. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

I agree with you on all those points but I think it's a fluke that I do! A lot of the things you touched on are because people are following a style so they might say to someone like me that I am not beautiful because I'm not following what people consider attractive now.

Also, there's something beautiful about people who alter their looks knowing that it's completely artificial. There's a member here who has bright pink hair and did her makeup in a way that makes the makeup obvious, but I found her to be very beautiful (name escapes me... She's from England). Furthermore, someone who has lots of body modification is just expressing their personality. I can't tell you how may soft-featured people I've met who want people to know that their personality is not at all reflected in their natural appearance.

Edit: I nearly forgot the part on overweight/skinny people. To each his own, really. You can't simply draw two lines (one at 19 and one at 24 BMI) and say that everything within those lines is attractive and that anything beyond those limits is unattractive.

#5 D_Hyacinth Harrytwat, Mar 20, 2009
  6. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is completely subjective.

"Natural" beauty is hard to see these days. We all augment ourselves somehow. Hell, even wearing clothes is augmentation to a degree.

A tattoo you think is ridiculous is absolutely awesome by someone else's standards. Plucked brows you think make a guy look like a drag queen may catch the eye of a potential mate. It's all completely subjective.

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

I'd say to a degree attractiveness is subjective.

You'd be hard pressed to pick an ugly a contestant in the Miss Universe pageant. I speculate that the ideas of human beauty are more alike than different among us and that outward signs of health and fertility are attractive in most cultures and to most people.

8. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    My brother-in-law would tell you that every single Miss Universe contestant is grossly underfed. He would argue that a woman with curves looks healthier, and is therefor much more attractive.

I'm not saying I agree with him, as I think most of the contestants in the Miss Universe are women, and therefor completely lacking an essential element of beauty, IMHO.

Like I said. It's subjective.

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

You think there were some drag queens that slipped by in there? lol.

Your brother-in-law wouldn't want to fuck even one of them huh?

10. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Well, they're so skinny a dick is probably longer than they are wide.
    Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm a fan of "fleshy" types.

11. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    - Extreme weight loss - when somone goes from slim to skinny, Lara Flynn Boyle (need I say more?

- Plastic surgery - Michael Jackson looks like Lara Flynn Boyle now (need I say more?)

12. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

What is your look? :biggrin:

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Add in black combat boots and that would describe about 90% of the people in Portland.

14. NCbear

Gold Member

Damn! My sympathies.

NCbear (who thinks springtime in the South is one of the best seasons -- it's when the men start wearing shorts and pec- [and tricep-] revealing shirts :tongue:)

15. D_Toren_Adopants

D_Toren_Adopants Account Disabled

I'm sorry but I am not taking my shirt off at the beach to reveal a sexy farmer's tan.

16. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    But farmers are hot! And farmer's tans are hotter! :biggrin1::wink:

17. dongalong

Gold Member

Non fake!

18. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    The president of the Czech Republic visited Portland a few months ago. I was a bit surprised to find that, upon departure, his comments about the city skipped the usual banal pleasantries visiting dignitaries usually utter during visits. He was rather blunt and instead went right to the point. When asked what he thought about Portland he replied Portlanders generally didn't care about the way they dressed.

And he was right.

19. Himura

Himura Member

Some people who are naturally 'beautiful' are really thankful for what they have.... if they are religious... atleast...

Like... praying and thanking their god for giving them their looks.... and their partners... etc...

I don't know why anyone would want to throw away their beauty... unless they didn't know they had it...

some people need to be told they're beautiful... and vice versa.......

20. earllogjam

Gold Member

When they start making warm rain and mist proof clothes that breathe Portland will be the fashion envy of the nation. Why have any fancy clothes under that North Face parka (Portlander's berka) if it's not going to see the light of day? lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted