Should I?

D

deleted3782

The biggest reason people have to "proclaim" how out they are is that being non-heterosexual fucking confuses a lot of people.

That's what makes it fun. If you spend your life trying to not confuse people, you will not get much done. :biggrin1:

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Coming out is not a one-off thing. There are parents, other family, friends, workmates, people you fancy, total strangers. Each needs their own approach and their own pace.

Then, "coming out" as bi is something else, because the strait half of you is already out by default. I'm sure there are many, many bi guys who never come out in any measurable way, just tell those they think need to know, or those it might be fun if they know.

I guess one problem with "coming out as bi" is that to homophobes it's just as "bad" as coming out as gay - you're "contaminated" - which tells you something about them.

luvmycock

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Coming out is not a one-off thing. There are parents, other family, friends, workmates, people you fancy, total strangers. Each needs their own approach and their own pace.

Then, "coming out" as bi is something else, because the strait half of you is already out by default. I'm sure there are many, many bi guys who never come out in any measurable way, just tell those they think need to know, or those it might be fun if they know.

I guess one problem with "coming out as bi" is that to homophobes it's just as "bad" as coming out as gay - you're "contaminated" - which tells you something about them.

so true. thanks

GayFrog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wouldn't it be so cool if we could just have a "coming out party"? Send invitations, rent the ballroom at a 5 star hotel. Hire a rock band, caterer and photographer.

Unfortunately life for most of us isn't quite that easy. I do not have a problem with coming out to parents and siblings or even close friends. I do not think it is necessary to be that open with employers, co-workers or acquaintances. Like I wouldn't buy milk at the corner store and say " by the way I came out yesterday and would like you to know I'm bisexual." Nor would I post it on face book.

The only people that need to know are those that you personally feel comfortable coming out to. Otherwise you may as well wear a t-shirt that proclaims "I'm Bi", and have that party.

luvmycock

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wouldn't it be so cool if we could just have a "coming out party"? Send invitations, rent the ballroom at a 5 star hotel. Hire a rock band, caterer and photographer.

Unfortunately life for most of us isn't quite that easy. I do not have a problem with coming out to parents and siblings or even close friends. I do not think it is necessary to be that open with employers, co-workers or acquaintances. Like I wouldn't buy milk at the corner store and say " by the way I came out yesterday and would like you to know I'm bisexual." Nor would I post it on face book.

The only people that need to know are those that you personally feel comfortable coming out to. Otherwise you may as well wear a t-shirt that proclaims "I'm Bi", and have that party.

so true. thanks I feel a lot better about this whole thing now. you guys are great. :smile:

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like I wouldn't buy milk at the corner store and say " by the way I came out yesterday and would like you to know I'm bisexual."
I wouldn't either, but if it comes up, I'm not going to lie.

Let me give you an example from, literally, yesterday.

I work at a well-known music-and-movie retail outlet. A male customer brought a copy of "Love and Other Drugs" to my till to pay. He said to me, "Love that Anne Hathaway. I'm sure you can understand why." I replied, "Personally, I'd rather go for Jake Gyllenhaal."

There was a brief flicker of a pause, like you could just see him thinking "OMG, how do I react to this?" He finally stammered out, "Oh... well... each to their own I guess." And we completed the transaction and he went on his way.

Simple, straightforward, no lies. But he learned a lesson about assuming anything about strangers, and I was vastly entertained.

GayFrog

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Simple, straightforward, no lies. But he learned a lesson about assuming anything about strangers, and I was vastly entertained.

Coming out is a serious step forward and shouldn't be taken so lightly.
I'm glad you find embarrassing others to be entertaining.
I on the other hand try to remain receptive to others feelings.
The op and his thread is not about playing childish games and nor am I.

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Coming out is a serious step forward and shouldn't be taken so lightly.
I'm glad you find embarrassing others to be entertaining.
I on the other hand try to remain receptive to others feelings.
The op and his thread is not about playing childish games and nor am I.
It's not childish to be honest about who you are. The point is not to make fun of other people, it is to be frank and straight forward and not lie for no reason.

haulthat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is no way of knowing what your friends will think until you ask them. I think the whole, if their worth while friends they will be cool with it thing is a cop out. Yes that's how it would be in a perfect world, but this isn't BY FAR. Make sure its something you know for certain before you take the step, if you are you will make it over that bridge when you are ready to cross it. Hope it all turns out well, and hot lol.