Shower Etiquette

MatterOfSize

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Alright guys, I've never been a jock nor really in a locker room setting and I recently moved into a dorm with community showers and I need some tips. Keep in mind that this is the summer session and there's little to NO chance of man candy that would ultimately join me in the shower (fantasy?). Here are my questions:

1. Do you take clothes off before you enter the shower or once you're in and THEN turn on the water?
2. What do you wear back to your room? I'm not that much of an exhibitionist...
3. Do you make eye contact with another guy who might be in there?

...I can't think of any more, but any tips would be helpful. The showers have curtains, they're not like a central shower, there are independent ones.

Thanks!

PS Love this site, never tails to entertain, so many of you are FUCKING hot. Love the Italians ;)

Baxter

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Strip down, wrap a towel around and head in. A knowing glance wouldn't hurt! ;O)

7insquared

Experimental Member
Media
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1) Usually you just go there in underwear and then take off your underwear inside the shower.
2) I used to wrap myself in a towel, but some guys used robes. It's up to you.
3) Generally avoid eye contact, but if you have a really good friend sometimes it's cool to say "'sup" or the like.

Hope this helps. I remember my dorm days...*sigh*

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
For private showers with curtains in a dorm setting, taking into account that you are new to all this, and I'm guessing that most of your dormmates aren't jocks, then here's my advice.

1) Wear a towel and flip-flops from your room and back. A towel isn't being an exhibitionist.

2) Take off your towel wherever the most convenient place is to put it. If there are hooks nearby, use them and walk to the shower naked. Again, that's not being an exhibitionist.

3) Men make eye contact with each other. Yes even in the shower. By not doing one is sending a signal to other men of your submissiveness to them. However, there's a huge difference between making eye contact, and eye fucking him. Show him you are a self confident man by making eye contact, but then move on. The more you are friends with him, the more you can make eye contact and talk.

In general, err on this side of a little more nudity than less.

MatterOfSize

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Haha Thanks guys, I feel lame for asking, but was curious :)

Means a lot that you're willing to reply to such an unfortunate posting.

Maybe I should shower at our Rec Center ;) ...too bad there's more old men that shower there than gorgeous boys.

bthegreat

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I usually go in with just underwear on and strip down and get in the shower. Once I'm done I dry off and wrap the towel around my waist and go on out. I make eye contact but that's just me, I even start conversations.

Since you're not to big on it I say bring your underwear and shorts with you when you go shower so when you go back to your room you're not uncomfortable. :)

Hope that helps

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Another idea- before you go shower, go pee and brush your teeth, look in the mirror to wherever the shower area is and get a 'feel' for the group...each group has its own social unspoken etiquette...

wearing your clothes into the shower sends the message "VERY uptight", do make eye contact, or nod, its says 'i'm relaxed and cool'- also a way to make friends- not making eye contacts sends a bad signal....

relax- this isn't a runway or a fashion show (tho do not wear underwear (or a towel) that looks like swiss cheese- save it to wash your car with ...

and wear flip flops! lots of nasty athletes feet and what not out there (once got it in college- nasty stuff)

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Just as a general rule with most places designated for showering/dressing/etc, if you aren't ogling someone or interacting with them, you are pretty much always okay. A quick glance is fine; it would be a tremendous breach of protocol to become hostile on the basis of a glance that might or might not have been at your package. As long as you are in there using the room for its intention and not deliberately stalling to parade around in the nude or (as Hockeytiger put it) eye fucking anybody, it would be pretty difficult for anyone to find fault with your behavior.

Dalt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like was said before, observe the norm. Just take a surveillance trip to use the toilet/urinal, brush your teeth, etc to get a feel of how how others do it and what you'll feel comfortable with. In my dorm days, we went to the shower in a robe or just towel, or maybe boxers or whatever we slept in. The bathroom had several hooks on the wall and we hung up our stuff there and went to the shower area. With 40-45 guys living on the floor and just 4 showerheads, mornings and some evenings were like rush hour, and sometimes there'd be 6-7 guys sharing the shower space.

There'd be guys totally naked and in various states of undress in the bathroom. Everybody had their own habits. My RA would shower and not get dressed to shave, brush his teeth, do his hair, etc. At the beginning of the semester he was one of the only ones doing that, but by the end of the semester half the guys were doing it, and by the end of the school year, it was pretty much naked city in there...lol.

What I really had to get used to in that particular dorm was that the bathroom itself was a giant room with no partitions. Once you went in, you saw it all--toilets on one wall, showerheads on the other, a couple of urinals on one side, sinks on a wall and some facing each other down the middle of the room. You realize everybody's equal when you've seen the seemingly snobbish or really hot guy on the john!

matt121matt121

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I always just wore a towel to and from the shower, and my flip flops..

My 1st year in the dorms there was just a bench with hooks and then the row of shower curtains.. and there were multiple instances of guys getting their clothes taken as pranks when they were showering so when you just take a towel you just hang it on the shower rod so you can see it while your showering.. though I'd always open the curtain and step out to dry off.. just since I didn't like the claustrophobia
of the shower stalls..

then my second year there were little cubicals and then the showers.. but i hated whenever guys would go in there with clothes especially if there were guys waiting.. and Id never dare take my clothes in there since I wouldn't want them to get wet from water that splashes out of the shower..

So just wear a towel to and from and you'll be all good.. no need to be extra conservative your going there to shower, so no big deal..

str821

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Washington (Washington, D.C., United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Back in my dorm days, it was flip-flops and a towel, and "Morning" to anyone you met.

My dorm days were quite recent, and the situation was the same. I think that most northeastern U.S., coed schools are that way. I gather that in dorms segregated by sex and in the south, there can be quite a bit more nudity and even homoerotic play, particularly among jocks. I'm not sure why that is.

bippy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
When I was in high school, we had communal showers. Guys would take off their clothes at their locker, and wear a towel to the shower. We generally avoided eye contact (and, certainly, staring) in the shower itself, but chatting was OK. No problems when in towels, though.

In college (late 1990s), we had shower stalls that each had a door (sort of like a bahtroom stall door), then a smallish changing area with hooks, then the actual shower itself with its own curtain. Pretty much everyone slept in boxers, so we would walk down the hall in boxers carrying our towel/shampoo/soap/etc., go into the private changing area, close the door, take off boxers, then go into the actual shower.

This was pretty private, so we didn't really see each other in anything less than boxers, which is no more revealing than what guys would wear when swimming.

lpsg17

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think wrap a towel around and head in. I don't think you should stare, but a few glances, what the hell you might get a few glances back.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There'd be guys totally naked and in various states of undress in the bathroom. Everybody had their own habits. My RA would shower and not get dressed to shave, brush his teeth, do his hair, etc. At the beginning of the semester he was one of the only ones doing that, but by the end of the semester half the guys were doing it, and by the end of the school year, it was pretty much naked city in there...lol. !

I love how even the unlikeliest behavior can spread rapidly through memes. Not a word has to be said.

I've been in gym locker room and YMCA dorm shower situations where it seemed people were doing gymnastics not to be seen nude for a second. Ridiculous. I would just confidently take off all my clothes, throw my towel over my shoulder and walk to the shower, and by day 2 or 3 a bunch of other guys were doing the same. Eventually people would look at the towel dancers like they were mildly crazy.

bigunzippedstudent9

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I agree with everything except the eye contact....

I'm not so sure that s necessary. Why? Go in there do your biz and get out. No need to look at anybody in the eyes (but don't purposely and obviously avoid eye contact either). If that makes sense.

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was in the army and like you had never spent much time in the communal shower situation before. For the most part nobody wants to look at or be looked at and even though we'd all chat and talk and joke around for the most part everyone spent their time staring at the wall tile.

Every once in a while for those who were just considerably large somebody would give them a 'my god man...' and it was not weird. But for the most part even if you did see a nice body or cock (and there were def a few I still remember) you tried to avert your eyes.

I remember we had this one guy in my unit who would stay in the shower forever and talk and get way too close and you knew he was staring at everyone. He was gay, and nobody really gave a crap about that, but he was weird and made us all uncomfortable and that nobody liked.