Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
So I'm tired of having no social life and the only way that'll change is for me to go out and be around people. The problem is I don't like going out or being around people. If I did I'd just end up sitting in a corner staring at the wall until I finally got sick of it and left which would be a complete waste of time and money. So I figure some liquid courage might help.

What's a good drink for someone who's never drank alcohol who doesn't want to get drunk just loosen up some?

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So I'm tired of having no social life and the only way that'll change is for me to go out and be around people. The problem is I don't like going out or being around people. If I did I'd just end up sitting in a corner staring at the wall until I finally got sick of it and left which would be a complete waste of time and money. So I figure some liquid courage might help.

What's a good drink for someone who's never drank alcohol who doesn't want to get drunk just loosen up some?

awesome, this has all the elements of a judd apatow movie [checking flights to SC] i can't believe i'm gonna miss this.

my advice would be:

once you get to the bar, buy a full bottle of tequila, nothing high end, just some cuervo or something, and start passing out free shooters, you'll have more friends in 5 minutes than you can puke on, once u over do it urself. you'll also have a legitimate reason to lean on somebody to take you home, and you'll have a common event to bond u. and stories to tell your grandkids.

TheSeiF

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
start with 1 or 2 beer cans, just to warm up. Then go with Rum+Coke, since you're a starter go with 20% Rum, 80% coke, and 2 ice cubes. Also try the flavored rums, they are delicious.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hum - you have no idea how alcohol is going to effect you if you have never had a drink. I wouldn't recommend starting on spirits.

Try a light beer (unless you're glutin intolerant). But some people just don't like the taste of beer. What kind of non-alcoholic drinks do you like?

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
how does a 27 yo get to be 27 w/o ever consuming alcohol?

A) is a muslim
B) was raised in a bubble due to deficient immune system
C) is one of the osmonds.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Vodka and Cranberry (juice)

Tequila with OJ (with grenadine = tequila sunrise)

Whiskey sour.

Run and Coke.

You need to find out which kind of alcohol you like. For me I like most, but don't like Gin it smells and tastes like perfume to me.

Do you like sweet drinks, if not try a Vodka and Tonic.

BlackIsKingSize

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Hum - you have no idea how alcohol is going to effect you if you have never had a drink. I wouldn't recommend starting on spirits.

Try a light beer (unless you're glutin intolerant). But some people just don't like the taste of beer. What kind of non-alcoholic drinks do you like?
I don't think I'd like beer at all. I certainly don't like the smell of it.

I mostly drink water but otherwise I like either fruit juice or at least fruit flavored sodas/kool-aid. Not a fan of colas. And I just plain hate root beer and ginger ale.

how does a 27 yo get to be 27 w/o ever consuming alcohol?
I don't see any point in drinking just to sit around watching tv and I haven't been in any social situations that I wanted to drink. Never been to a bar or club or concert, haven't been to a non-family party since high school and that was only once. Like I said I have no social life AT ALL.

Last edited:

I'm not a beer drinker either however I have come to like Guinness. I know what you're thinking. Guinness looks horrible and tastes a bit bitter.

That's a really good thing. I really dislike drinking more than I think I should. Some drinks really do creep up on you without noticing and then you find yourself drunk and feeling like crap. Guinness is good because it's filling, doesn't give you a hangover, and doesn't creep the way beer can. Many beers you can drink quite a few of without realizing it and then suddenly find yourself way too drunk. That's why I advocate not going with something sweet that masks the alcohol too much. You want to stay aware of how much you're drinking and know when it's good to quit.

I love rum and Cokes and tequila shots and Long Island ice teas are great, but the Long Island ice tea be particularly careful of as a good one won't taste like alcohol at all and can get you seriously sick very quickly if you're not remotely alcohol tolerant.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you don't really drink ever but feel like you might need to to relax and open up I would suggest having a beer before you leave your house. No need to get wherever you are going and then trying to relax. Arrive already a bit relaxed and you'll have a better time I think.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media

I totally agree. Stay away from vodka, rum, whiskey bourbon or any of that harder stuff. And since you don't think you will like beer maybe try a nice white wine. Possibly a desert wineas they are a lot sweeter then most wines which make then easier to drink.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Fuzzy Navel is a good starter drink. Peach Schnapps and orange juice, 'bout half and half, to your taste. It's light enough to give you that little buzz for liquid courage but not so heavy that you'll be overwhelmed by the intoxication.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I don't think I'd like beer at all. I certainly don't like the smell of it.

I mostly drink water but otherwise I like either fruit juice or at least fruit flavored sodas/kool-aid. Not a fan of colas. And I just plain hate root beer and ginger ale.

OK - beer not for you. Though for what it is worth I don't know many people who liked the taste of beer the first time they tried it. You like fruity stuff? Try a hard cider. Some brands are sweet, some are slightly more bitter but still fruity and very refreshing. But I do agree with the advice above, you don't want to forget you are drinking and make yourself ill. Hell's idea of have a drink before you go out and then staying on non-alcoholic drink when you're out is a good one too.

I totally agree. Stay away from vodka, rum, whiskey bourbon or any of that harder stuff. And since you don't think you will like beer maybe try a nice white wine. Possibly a desert wineas they are a lot sweeter then most wines which make then easier to drink.

Another good idea. Maybe a white wine spritzer?

Fuzzy Navel is a good starter drink. Peach Schnapps and orange juice, 'bout half and half, to your taste. It's light enough to give you that little buzz for liquid courage but not so heavy that you'll be overwhelmed by the intoxication.

I think Schnapps is a bad idea - you may be used to drinking but a measure of Peach Schnapps could get a first time drinker quite tiddley quite quickly. Also it does go down easy, you could be pissed before you know it and that'd be a bad thing.

Dr. Algonquin - I understand that you want a social lubricant to help you talk to people but I'm actually not at all sure that Dutch Courage is the way to go. You have no idea how alcohol will effect you. It makes some people more introverted, others angry, others morose, others gregarious, and so on. In many cases it just serves to accentuate whatever mood you were in in the first place. So you may actually find it makes things worse, not better.

Are there any activities you might enjoy (or at least not hate) that wouldn't involve being in a bar situation? Could you volunteer at a local shelter or charity drive of some kind? Could you join a sports / hobby club in your area? How about your work / school -any social opportunities there?

Last edited:

BlackIsKingSize

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I don't really have any hobbies or things I enjoy doing. Used to be video games and tv but those don't really entertain me anymore. I can't really think of any social-type stuff I like. I tried going to this local group thing a few times but it just ended up being one of those sit in a corner until it's over situations.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't see any point in drinking just to sit around watching tv and I haven't been in any social situations that I wanted to drink. Never been to a bar or club or concert, haven't been to a non-family party since high school and that was only once. Like I said I have no social life AT ALL.

I think ur approaching this from the wrong end.

A) you need to back the cart AND the horse up about 50 miles and work on getting some social skills , or just socializing period, b4 u add alcohol to that fire.

B) I've known plenty of people who just get stupid and annoying when they drink, even if it's only a little.

C) alcohol isn't a magic bullet that's going to create a vibrant social life for you. regardless of what advertising would lead you to believe.

D) and anyway isn't being dependent on alcohol to mitigate social situations, part of the clinical diagnosis of alcoholism?

it's not a good path to put urself on.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I think Schnapps is a bad idea - you may be used to drinking but a measure of Peach Schnapps could get a first time drinker quite tiddley quite quickly. Also it does go down easy, you could be pissed before you know it and that'd be a bad thing.
You're right, MB. The Schnapps might be a bad idea. One small cup of that on a full stomach may be too much for this gentleman:confused:. Perhaps drinking just isn't for everyone. As for me, I'm not used to drinking. I just know how to do it:cool: