Stereotype question

D_JohnUpHerPipe

1st Like
Media
I am extremely neat and like to clean, but this has nothing to do with sexuality. My dad is also extremely clean and borders on OCD. That is why I like to clean and be neat, because my dad is and I guess I picked it up from him. Me, two brothers and my mum are evidence of him being straight.

How clean you are has nothing to do with sexuality. You clean if you like clean spaces, not so clean if you are not bothered. Simple really.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The sterotype for women I've encountered that's actually worse, is they're lying manipulators. At this same job I hired a girl who was ex-Army to work part time.

And you go on to give us one example. Do all the other women you've interacted with fit the stereotype too?

Stereotypes are not necessarily caricatures (at least sometimes). Rather, they are generalizations empirically induced from the observations of everyday life (dictionary notwithstanding). Of course, with any generalization, there are always exceptions. Despite the lack of complete or even seemingly consistent validity in a rather large (at least in one's mind) percent of the cases, if the generalization is indicative of a broader truth, in my opinion, than a stereotype is relevant and useful in trying to make sense of a situation.

Bollox. Saying something is a stereotype and that stereotyping is bad is not the same thing as saying that the 'stereotypical behaviour' never happens in the stereotyped group. However, what YOU appear to be saying is that stereotypes are born of general truths. This is the part at which I say bollox. Just because YOU (or anyone else) group a bunch of people together by race, sex, sexuality, religion it does not mean that similar behaviour amongst individuals means anything in particular for the broader group.

In other words, you know what all women have in common? They're women. You know what all Jews have in common? They're Jewish. You know what all 2nd generation Pakistani taxi drivers in Leeds have in common? Yep, you guessed it, they are 2nd generation Pakistani taxi drivers. That's all.

Stereotypes suck. Whether we think we are being positive, or at least not negative, about stereotyping it only really does one thing - it uses a set of behaviours of another person or people to judge and define an individual. That can never be a good thing.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am extremely neat and like to clean, but this has nothing to do with sexuality. My dad is also extremely clean and borders on OCD. That is why I like to clean and be neat, because my dad is and I guess I picked it up from him. Me, two brothers and my mum are evidence of him being straight.

How clean you are has nothing to do with sexuality. You clean if you like clean spaces, not so clean if you are not bothered. Simple really.

Having a wife and kids is not necessarily evidence that a man prefers women. There have been plenty of men to get divorced in their 50's having been married 25 years with kids cause they realized they'd been lying to themselves the whole time. They've gone their entire lives not even seeing a man naked and still realize a preference for women is just not who they are.

I'm not saying your dad clearly is in denial because he's anal about cleaning. I'm guessing he prefers women and is in a happy marriage and all that good lot. I just wanted to point out men in hardcore denial or repression get married, have kids and try to fulfill that stereotype to help convince themselves that they really are straight (like they should be--there belief that got them there).

I'm sure your dad is tots cool yo! *giggles*

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stereotypes are not necessarily bad. The reason they are a part of human nature is because hundreds of years ago when humans were not a stable species on earth, the concept increased our chances of survival.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In certain situations where time is of the essence, stereotyping can speed up a person's reaction time.

Yeah, stereotypes exist because they exist. They aren't everyone, but they can be fairly common.

And you go on to give us one example. Do all the other women you've interacted with fit the stereotype too?

I'm guessing you didn't actually read what I posted, since there's more than one example in there.