Table manners

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Postscript: By necessity, I just ate sashimi at a restaurant by myself. (Sometimes diabetes wants to know when I'm going to slow down and eat.) I'm stuffed. However, I did not eat whatever cephalopod that was, nor the chewy fish with the red-tipped white flesh. I like melty fish, not chewy. My second cup of green tea was brought by a very insistent waiter, and tastes like it was given a couple of drops of spicy toasted sesame oil. Well, if that was deliberate, I am very sorry I offended the staff here with my chopsticks, wasabi, and ginger, and leftovers. However, I do think I will add a drop of hot sesame oil to mild teas from now on. It is delightful.

Reactions: rope9839

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
A person needs to have good basic table manners. It's all about making the people around you comfortable. Loud open mouth chewing, slurping, bumping into people with elbows or with your feet under the table, reaching, burping, cramming food in your mouth make other people uncomfortable. At my age I'm not about to teach a man basic skills - I'm not looking to be anyone's mama.

As to formal dining, that can be taught. Not everyone knows which piece of silverware or which glass to use. And yes, different cultures have different eating rules. That is something I don't mind teaching or learning. I'd expect a man to be open to that as well. But if he said he didn't care? Deal-breaker.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
For example....I'm just flipping through the channels and this show, "Suddenly Royal" is on. Apparently this guy is the heir or last of the royal family to the Isle of Mann.

Anyway, this etiquette coach is trying to show him how to each properly. He slurps his soup, dribbles it into his beard, blows his nose into his napkin, etc. He thinks he's fine. Now it's probably for the show, but if a guy did that on a date, I'd pretend to go to the bathroom and not come back. Seriously, blowing your nose into your napkin? Dribbling soup down your chin? I'd be getting sick to my tummy. :confused:

rope9839

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Would your opinion on a guy's table manners change if you knew he had a huge penis?

(Ok, that is a joke. Just wanted to give some of the guys answering this a little jolt.)

Thanks for the answers so far. About what I expected.