Texting Tense

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by goodwood, Jun 16, 2009.

1. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK -

When you have sent a text message to someone, how do you reference the past tense of having sent a text?

I told someone that "I texted" so and so and was screamed at that NO ONE says "texted" to indicate that one has sent a text. I was told that when a text has been sent you have "text" someone.

I was thinking that "to text" was a verb and past tense of that would have been "texted".

So am i obtuse and completely not knowing how to say the past tense of "text"? What do you say and why?

2. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

Texted is, I believe, a gramatically correct past-tense form when using the word as a transitive verb.

3. Gonad

Gonad Member

Albums:
    When does any verb have the same present tense as past tense? I would never use "text" as a past tense verb, but I have never used "text" as a present tense verb either. I have a strange feeling that there are proper English examples that are similar to that usage of "text" but I can't think of what they are.

4. crescendo69

Gold Member

The "screamer" is mistakenly using the old-fashioned method of adding a "t" to words to form a past-tense, i.e., vex-vext, mix-mixt, or even dream-dreamt, many of which are still used. But, as "text" is the present tense and already ends with "t", this rule does not apply. Scream back if you desire.

5. Jake90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    All new verbs coming into English form the past tense regularly, so "texted" is good. It sounds funny to some I think because "text" already sounds like the past tense of "tex" (if that existed!). It is extremely rare for a regular verb to later become irregular. I don't know of any recent examples in UK English, though US English has "dive - dove" and "sneak - snuck", which are relatively recent (these are both regular verbs in British English).

6. Jake90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Lots of irregular verbs actually: put, let, set to name but three...

7. crescendo69

Gold Member

And, incidentally, this verbal usage of "text" has not hit most dictionaries, yet, so technically no one is correct yet.

8. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    wow. you guys are good on the grammar. thanks. crescendo - i did explain my use of 'texted' as past tense. the person insisted she was correct. i insisted i was correct. we don't text anymore. lol.

coincidentally, i find that only women use 'text' as past tense for having sent a text.

9. crescendo69

Gold Member

Blond women?:biggrin1:

10. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    crescendo - yes. she was blonde.

11. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    i say "i text messaged someone earlier today"

i never say "text" or "texted"

#11 Enid, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. crescendo69

Gold Member

Like the nouns "Fedex", "email", and "punk", "text" will surely become a common verb with all the usual conjugations. I should check the latest dictionaries next time I get to Borders or the library.

13. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK. chrissy follows up 'text' with past tense of 'messaged'. she does not say that she 'text someone today'.
    so far i have yet to have anyone tell me that they use the word 'text' by itself in past tense.

14. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    yea it sounds really weird doesn't it?

for the present tense i say "text messaging" and not "texting". it just sounds weird to me and feels awkward coming out of my mouth.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The fact is that text is not a transitive verb, regardless of how often it's misused by the intellectually lazy.

That anyone who regularly does so would actually attempt to lecture another on grammatical propriety without choking on the enormous boulder of irony proves my point.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

You are not obtuse, she is an idiot. :smile: Present and past tense are never the same word! At least not in American English.

Yeah, we need to talk about the kind of women you know and text. No wonder you are still single. :rolleyes:

17. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    hit, beat, quit, set, spread, cast...

Next time you feel like judging someone else as being an idiot, take a good look into a mirror first.
    :rolleyes:

18. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

The fact is that there are NO rules in English over what can or can not be used as a verb, adjective or Noun. Its flexible to the point of being totally tubular.

Ask the Oxford English Dictionary folks... USAGE defines words. NOTHING else.
    Usage changes, so words change.

You can use the word texting in the same sense that you can use the word writing

The past tense of Writing is NOT writed... its Wrote

The past tense of texting could well be Toxt-
    However, another past tense form of write is writ.

And, of course, Text as past tense is actually a phonetic analog of the word "Texxed"...

That is probably where the notion of using Text as its own past tense came from...
    But, in fact, Writ drops a vowel and changes the I from long to short, resulting in an audibly different word.

Using Text as the past tense only works if the word text is not used in any other manner.

Seems to me the most logical form for a past tense of texting as used in telecom would be Texst

19. midlifebear

Gold Member

Why consult the OED (Oxford English Dictionary)? It isn't updated every year or every four years. You'd do better to first take Hazelgod's advice and learn the difference between a transitive and intransitive verb. From what I've read since lurking on this site I surmise a full 99.9% of LPSG-ers haven't a clue regarding transitive and intransitive verbs. (Again, more proof of the dumbing down of 'Mericuhns. But I digress.)

For the 'Mericuhns who are so inclined, I suggest following the "suggestions" regarding such issues written in plain, easy to understand English in the most recent edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language -- if they have broached that issue. As for Brits, they'll eventually come up with their own usage. The AHDEL is updated about every four years to keep current with new word coinage and usage, especially when it relates to technology. For the time being most folks would do better to cast "text" in a clause that indicates a past action such as "I sent [you] a text message." Or keep text the sturdy noun that it is and write "Did you receive the text I sent [you]."

Ironically, the contemporary noun text comes from the Latin past participle texere: to weave or fabricate. Past participle? If you're not aware of what one is, it would be wise to look up the definition of that part of English grammar as well. Good luck.

#19 midlifebear, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  20. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

If we accept that we can use "text" as a verb, would it not be a transitive verb? It'd require a direct object generally, no? You usually send a text to someone.

Draft saved Draft deleted