The Raw Foods Diet...

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I've heard about it, it's all over the place.

People everywhere (specifically in California):tongue: are raving about this diet. I'm kinda intrigued by it and I've decided to start it for a 10 day period.

The reason I'm writing this thread, is because I'm curious to hear if anyone has actually tried it before, if they've had success, and if there was any recipes you had that worked with this particular diet, specifically as a dinner/entree.

For those of you that don't know, the raw diet focuses on the idea that foods lose their nutrients and nutritional value if they are heated above 103 degrees. It tends to focus on natural foods, rather than anything processed, sugars, salt, pastas etc.

As a result, one seems to be able to eat fruits, veg, nuts, and depending on what level I'm at (there are three) raw meat and eggs. ( I won't be doing the meats and eggs option, thanks):cool:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've not even heard of this until I saw your thread. I'll be interested to hear more from people's experiences.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine tried it, and said that he spent a lot of time running to the washroom, until his body "adjusted" to the diet change. :tongue:

That would be my worry. A few years ago we had a vegan friend to stay and decided it would be easier if we just ate what she ate rather than cook separate meals. The effects were not pretty at first :redface:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Hootie, your idea is quite good.

I'm actually using the diet as a means to detox my system after a few months of pure laziness. It's also an excellent excuse to encourage more healthy foods consumption, for me at least.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I do it twice a year, for about 7 to ten days, in the late fall and late spring. Some power-hippies say it should be a 30 day cycle...but I am a pretty clean eater (avoid nitrates, sugar and processed goods) year round anyway. It works wonders for me...make sure you hydrate (allot) with purified water and make your own juice (store organic is $$$ and commercial juice is packed with sugar).

I couldnt imagine doing it forever tho.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm actually using the diet as a means to detox my system after a few months of pure laziness. It's also an excellent excuse to encourage more healthy foods consumption, for me at least.

The idea of "detoxification" is a load of bunk used to sell bogus products. Have a look at these articles:

BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists dismiss 'detox myth'

Sense About Science | The Detox Dossier

I would look with skepticism on anything that a proponent of a strict raw-food diet says. Extreme raw-foodists (which may not be the crowd that you are dealing with) are nut jobs who believe that all illnesses are caused by the consumption of cooked foods and not by viruses or bacteria.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Sashimi, anyone?

Not for me, thank you.
Nor me. I don't like meat raw.

Hey, having a nice fat ass can be a wonderful thing. N'est-ce pas? <==That is French for "Nasty pig." (Joking.) :biggrin1:
Only if I'm using it.:rolleyes::tongue:

The idea of "detoxification" is a load of bunk used to sell bogus products. Have a look at these articles:

BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists dismiss 'detox myth'

Sense About Science | The Detox Dossier

I would look with skepticism on anything that a proponent of a strict raw-food diet says. Extreme raw-foodists (which may not be the crowd that you are dealing with) are nut jobs who believe that all illnesses are caused by the consumption of cooked foods and not by viruses or bacteria.
I'm a bit surprised by the articles.

To be honest, I know that this diet isn't going to be a forever thing for me, because it's way too much work and really limits the amount of food. I like my food too much... and I like my foods cooked.:biggrin1::tongue:

But on that side note, I am gonna try it out for the full 10 days if I can. Hence why I want/need some more recipes.

Properly cooked food can be more nutritious than in its raw state. Carrots are a perfect example. Carrots are more nutritious properly cooked than raw because cooking breaks down the heavy cells walls allowing the nutrients to be digested and absorbed before the carrots pass from the body. What is most important is not overcooking nor undercooking when it comes to vegetables; too much and nutrients are destroyed, too little and you don't get the full nutrient value.

There is no perfect diet that encompasses all foods. Our diets are far too varied. Eating all foods raw makes no more sense than eating all foods cooked or all foods with ketchup. You have to tailor preparation of each ingredient to what's best for your body and nutritional requirements.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Properly cooked food can be more nutritious than in its raw state. Carrots are a perfect example. Carrots are more nutritious properly cooked than raw because cooking breaks down the heavy cells walls allowing the nutrients to be digested and absorbed before the carrots pass from the body. What is most important is not overcooking nor undercooking when it comes to vegetables; too much and nutrients are destroyed, too little and you don't get the full nutrient value.

There is no perfect diet that encompasses all foods. Our diets are far too varied. Eating all foods raw makes no more sense than eating all foods cooked or all foods with ketchup. You have to tailor preparation of each ingredient to what's best for your body and nutritional requirements.
We have partially evolved to eat cooked and raw food. Our digestive system has partially adapted to cooked food, and our jaws and teeth have evolved to do less grinding.

We are creatures that eat both raw and cooked food. Althought cooking denatures some nutritutional components of food, our own ability to process some uncooked nutritional components atrophied tens of thousands of years ago.

The bottom line is that we get more nutritional value from a diet of cooked and uncooked food than we wood a completely raw diet. As Jason said, carrots are a very good example.

On the other hand we each consume so much excess food in this country, the loss of nutrition by eating all raw food is probably not a big problem. However, many people in third world countries would not survive on a totally raw diet.

milly

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ditto several of the previous responders, particularly the two previous ones. Humans evolved and learned to cook foods for a reason: some foods carry higher health risks (remember the raw spinach e-coli epidemic, raw chili peppers, etc.) and are also made more palatable (or digestible) by proper cooking (IOW cook it correctly, don't over cook it to death, like some people might do to carrots, or string beans).

If you usually don't eat a lot of vegetables and nuts anyway, this diet may temporarily introduce your body to a lot of healthy stuff you normally wouldn't bother with. This might also mean your intestines may be confronted with a lot more fiber and other things that make your body seem to work extra during the transition.

My suggestion: learn a bit about basic nutrition, vary your diet whenever you can, and do things because it seems sensible, not the newest trend around (unless the trend *is* apparently sensible itself). After that, stick with what you like & works.
:smile:

Yeah, if you do this, take a bunch of probiotics first so your intestines have all the necessary fauna to digest all this stuff. You may also want to stick an AirWick up your butt because you are going to have GAS!

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
-be careful-

Strict or stringent diets can often be a source of anti-social behavior.

that being said, my last roommate of 1 year became a raw foodie 2 months after he moved in. He looks awesome and probably is as squeaky-clean as one could get internally but, Jesus, Mary and Joseph his life is now always all about eating and subsequently he's become a health Nazi.
If he's not shopping for the safest feed, or preparing feed, or juicing swamp looking muk feed, he's eating and feeding and grazing and doing gall bladder cleanses or, cleaning dishes. or about to shop, eat, feed or slurp. Forget going to a nice restaurant and trying a delicious piece of chocolate mousse washed down with a fine Cabernet.

and don't even get me started on the glass jars in every cabinet in my apartment. Glass is safe. anything else will leach and kill you.
And that's fine with me: you'll look like a fool laying in a hospital bed dying of nothing one day.
I'm nearly 53 and for 30 years now I've somewhat followed Fit For Life.

it's easy. It's how humans would be fed if they were in zooz.
Fruit in the morning (need energy to... break-fast )
Complex carbs most of the active day
and proteins in the evenings or rest times. (bacon and eggs IS dinner food NOT "break"fast)

Good luck, your friends will miss you at restaurants.

And try to get all your nutrients, or you'll start getting stupid and think emaciation is looking good on yourself.

and 10 days??!!
you'll need a way of eating that lasts a lifetime.

Michael*

sexplease

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

this is incorrect.
Carrots produce a toxin to soil parasites and cooking them removes this [and are better cooked for human consumption than raw]. aside from the fact that they are loaded with sugar.

Grains, pound for pound, are easier for the body to assimilate but DO loose nutrients in high heat cooking.
raw wild game is usually healthier too, if it's not loaded with lead buck shot. lol

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
To the meat eaters on the site:

Ancient religions use to sacrifice human beings to whatever god(s) were in vogue at the time and it's said that human flesh tastes remarkably similar to pork.

The taste of the pig, and the dying yells of the pig, were so reminiscent, in fact, of human meat, says Christopher Hitchens, that it contributed to the eating of pork as being an "abomination" to early jews.

Jews, in their monotheism, wanted to wash away all traces of polytheism and cannibalism and human sacrifice... and the taste of humans that resulted from the eating of pork.

Enjoy your bacon and ham sandwiches, people.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You may also want to stick an AirWick up your butt because you are going to have GAS!

Or maybe you could install a little pilot light back there to burn away all the gas before it can offend anyone's nostrils. :biglaugh:

Ancient religions use to sacrifice human beings to whatever god(s) were in vogue at the time and it's said that human flesh tastes remarkably similar to pork.

I'll take care never to say "Bite me!" to Homer Simpson. ("Mmm . . . human sacrifice!")