Thoughts on this article...

Betty_Cocker

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This could def be a woman's issue (dealing with difficult men :rolleyes:) but I actually just wanted to hear what the women think about this article. Plus, I'm hoping this will be a very educational discussion.

Why men send photos of their genitalia to women - CNN

I found it interesting and heard a lot of women here say the same things.

One thing I found interesting was the iPhone AirDrop feature. Why would anyone use this feature? (I am not being snotty, I truly don't know what this feature provides and from the article, sounds dangerous.)

Another question. Do you have randoms send you texts? If so, how does this happen? Never has happened to me because I don't give my digits to people I don't know and I'm just wondering how women would ever get a "random dick pic" on their phone via text message.

I understand how you get one through a site messaging service. But, that's different, isn't it?

I would love to hear thoughts on this article from other women, some of whom I am sure will teach me many things.

Reactions: wraparound

I think that at this point in time the majority of men are aware that sending unsolicited genital photos (especially to women), is unlikely to have a positive reception. They just don't care. They're that entitled, that aggressive, and/or that desperate. As for being more "attached" or as I tend to think of it, obsessed with their own genitals? Yeah, I agree with that. Time on this and other sex positive, kinky, etc sites have shown that the majority of men I personally know are in the minority. A whole lot of men are obsessed in some way with their dick.

I'm not an Apple product user. I haven't been since the used iPod a friend gave me roughly a decade ago died. The AirDrop thing sounds moronic to me, but you do you. If people want to participate in that, by all means. Knock yourself out, have fun, but be aware of the risks associated with doing so. I do agree that it is the same as being flashed. It just doesn't generally carry the same kind of repercussions as doing so in person. The act itself is otherwise the same. They are exposing their genitals to someone without the consent of the other individual(s).

As for impulse control? Alcohol or drug use doesn't in any way excuse whatever behavior someone gets up to, to me. I don't excuse drunk drivers, I don't excuse the drunken assholes who have groped me in a club or at a concert, and I don't excuse someone sending an unsolicited dick pic while they're under the influence either. We have brains, we're generally exposed to examples of what is considered appropriate/polite social behavior, and we're generally exposed to media/the internet. Some assholes just choose to ignore that, because they think they're that fucking special or that women are just there for their entertainment.

The only random texts I have received (though it has mostly been calls) is from the same area code that my phone number is associated with. I think a particular individual in the area has a phone number really similar to mine, and people fumble inputting it on their phone. I've never received an unsolicited dick pic on my phone from a random/unknown number.

The various sites I spend time on, it's a different story. I've ended up with all kinds of odd or distasteful things arriving in my inbox. That doesn't surprise me, though. I haven't received any dick pics since posting a photo of me holding a Desert Eagle though, go figure (and no, that is NOT a request for any).

Point of clarification regarding AirDrop. What I meant by associated risks isn't an excuse/exception for unsolicited photos that are sent to you and was based on how I thought the feature worked. I looked up more information about AirDrop, and my initial impression was wrong. I thought it would share things randomly from your gallery, so perhaps you might genuinely accidentally see something that an individual only meant to share with other specific, consenting individuals. Nope, individuals pick and choose what you want to share via AirDrop. So, it definitely is still a means for someone to choose to specifically send dick pics to people who haven't asked for them.

Reactions: Betty_Cocker

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I assumed most of those theories to be true, but I hadn’t really considered it be a hostile act. Now that I think about it, it makes sense. Assert your dominance, force me to look at something I have no interest in seeing - it is hostile. No wonder I have such a negative reaction. I just assumed the male was impulsive and thoughtless, overly attached to his junk, but perhaps what I was sensing was his aggression and hostility towards women.

Interesting.

I always thought it was just that guys hoped for nekkid pics in return. They're turned on by nudes, so they think WE should be turned on by nudes and will send one back upon receipt.

And re: the airdrop feature- it can be a helpful tool when at a group event... like sharing a group photo with someone that you don't particularly want to keep in touch with. Like that weird uncle or friend of a friend of a friend.

Reactions: LaFemme

sweetlucky12

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have never understood it. Back before texts, I remember guys flashing us in the dorms, so this is just a new way to do that. I never really got it because most guys have dicks that are nothing to write home about and some are downright ugly. The guys who actually have dicks that appeal to me would kill any interest I have in them by doing that though. I think some of them think it’s funny. Like that weird Louis CK guy. I don’t get that either.

Reactions: 2163431 and LaFemme