Twin peaks 2017

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this an answer to a question no one was asking?

I never watched the original run, but it's been on and on and on and on again on Showtime, so I've caught quite a bit of it; more than I really care to admit, having a lot of downtime lately.

What is all the hype? It just seems to me to be an incoherent mess of a show. The first new episode of 2017, aired on May 21st, seems every bit as bad as the originals - tacky, nonsensical, seemingly low production quality (1990's special effects), etc. I know it's written by the guy who made the infuriatingly bad "Lost Highway" too, and that's what I think of Twin Peaks - why is there a demand for this trainwreckery?

Is this one of those shows you either love or despise?

e38c73bf53c6ab4f6946a654801c90bda7ee514f172538739e2d88183ac76c5b.jpg

Reactions: tnecvolfan2001

Matt_x

Legendary Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Never heard of it, reminds me of the time Seinfeld was a thing. Ugh I couldn't turn the TV off quick enough to avoid the first few secs of the theme song.

Reactions: tnecvolfan2001

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media

I never watched the original run, but it's been on and on and on and on again on Showtime, so I've caught quite a bit of it; more than I really care to admit, having a lot of downtime lately.

What is all the hype? It just seems to me to be an incoherent mess of a show. The first new episode of 2017, aired on May 21st, seems every bit as bad as the originals - tacky, nonsensical, seemingly low production quality (1990's special effects), etc. I know it's written by the guy who made the infuriatingly bad "Lost Highway" too, and that's what I think of Twin Peaks - why is there a demand for this trainwreckery?

"The guy" has a name and it's David Lynch. And for the record, he's brilliant and a national treasure.

Kret7

Cherished Member
Media
Original was a piece of art! I haven't started to watch the new ones, but i will certainly do! I was the midget in the original series :|

Reactions: Mercurygirl

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Original was a piece of art! I haven't started to watch the new ones, but i will certainly do! I was the midget in the original series :|
It's definitely a piece of something, but art is not the word I would use.

Another thing that's troubling is the guy pats himself on the back for "inspiring" all the good new shows that have been out in the last couple of years and it's also stated on the Wikipedia page for the show. I think that's bullshit, unless everyone is also saying that the new shows make no damn sense at all either.

Garbage like this and Zack Snyder's ruining of DC make me want to get a lawnmower and run over Smurf village.

ShaftFromNaboo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The low production 90s soap style is part of it's charm, just like the music and everything else. Love that show. I totally understand if someone doesn't like it. I wasn't sure myselft after one or two episodes but then it clicked. It's definitely great. You don't have to love it.

Reactions: MisterVIP

phillo12345

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I don't understand the point of your post/replies; you're essentially saying you hate Twin Peaks and we should all agree with you? It was a fucking awesome show but you don't like it. Newsflash: you're not right, you're not wrong you just don't like Twin Peaks. I loathe Game of Thrones but I'm not going to assert that I'm right, it's an awful show and everyone who loves it is just wrong and has bad taste (although in my mind I know this to be true).

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't understand the point of your post/replies; you're essentially saying you hate Twin Peaks and we should all agree with you? It was a fucking awesome show but you don't like it. Newsflash: you're not right, you're not wrong you just don't like Twin Peaks. I loathe Game of Thrones but I'm not going to assert that I'm right, it's an awful show and everyone who loves it is just wrong and has bad taste (although in my mind I know this to be true).

Pretty much this. There's plain old indifference as well. I get something like 450 channels on my cable TV. I only watch a fraction of them, and I only watch a fraction of the shows that air on that fraction of the stations.

When I am angry about a show, it's usually because it's a show I like that I feel went off the rails. For instance, I absolutely loved Hannibal Seasons 1 & 2... some of the best television I've ever watched. But I thought season 3 was a vapid work of conceit that had no substance and stopped watching after only a few episodes.

Then there's shows like "My So Called Life" which get abruptly cancelled and I get upset about that too.

But Twin Peaks I'm just indifferent about. It wasn't my kind of show, so I watched other things (I did like their theme song though).

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another thing that's troubling is the guy pats himself on the back for "inspiring" all the good new shows that have been out in the last couple of years and it's also stated on the Wikipedia page for the show. I think that's bullshit, unless everyone is also saying that the new shows make no damn sense at all either.

I looked at the Wikipedia page, btw, and there's no claim made that it inspired all the good shows in the last few years. Rather, it says that in any given year, there are several shows that owe a creative debt to it (out of god knows how many shows that air each year, that's not necessarily a stretch). There's also some directors who are specifically saying that they were inspired by the show.

Why are you so viscerally mad that someone liked something you don't like? :p

D

deleted957600

e38c73bf53c6ab4f6946a654801c90bda7ee514f172538739e2d88183ac76c5b.jpg
[/QUOT
You never watched the original 'Twin Peaks' but for some reason it has your attention now. I never watched the original either and don't have an interest in watching the remake. There are so many things on TV so you can really pick and choose what you want to watch. I would rather watch 'Undercover Boss', 'The Affair', 'Big Little Lies', 'King of Queens'. You were wondering what all the hype was about for this show but interest seems rather lukewarm.

D

deleted957600

(Post no 13 was supposed to be a response to the first post)

You never watched the original 'Twin Peaks' but for some reason it has your attention now. I never watched the original either and don't have an interest in watching the remake. There is so much on tv that you can really pick and choose what you want to watch. I'd rather watch 'Undercover Boss', 'The Affair, 'Big Little Lies', 'The King of Queens.' In an effort to get an explanation for all the hype, posts here seem to be rather lukewarm.

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I looked at the Wikipedia page, btw, and there's no claim made that it inspired all the good shows in the last few years. Rather, it says that in any given year, there are several shows that owe a creative debt to it (out of god knows how many shows that air each year, that's not necessarily a stretch). There's also some directors who are specifically saying that they were inspired by the show.

Why are you so viscerally mad that someone liked something you don't like? :p

I'm not, I just don't get it at all. I'm watching the second "return" episode right now. Best I can tell, that agent cooper guy has MPD and the entire show is in his head, like the movie Identity. None of it makes any sense.

And the promos for the new episodes say: "Before men were mad....before games were played for thrones" (or something like that) - I couldn't get into those shows either.

I read on this site http://whyihateeverything.com/twin-peaks/ and elsewhere that they pretty much half-assed the second season.

I've given this show much more of a try than I did Game of Thrones (about 5 minutes), Breaking Bad (about 8 minutes), Mad Men (about 3 minutes). Don't know why I'm punishing myself, but it seems like there has to be some sense made of this mess at some point...will it ever get to that, or is what people like about it so much the fact that it makes no sense and never will?

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(Post no 13 was supposed to be a response to the first post)

You never watched the original 'Twin Peaks' but for some reason it has your attention now. I never watched the original either and don't have an interest in watching the remake. There is so much on tv that you can really pick and choose what you want to watch. I'd rather watch 'Undercover Boss', 'The Affair, 'Big Little Lies', 'The King of Queens.' In an effort to get an explanation for all the hype, posts here seem to be rather lukewarm.

It's been hyped up so much while I was watching Billions and Homeland this year (two shows that are "new" to me). So, when they started running all the original stuff, I watched it and the movie. Still makes no sense. Is trying to make sense of it the problem?

And, while one person criticized me, you're right, no one has really tried to explain the show or what is really great about it, besides ShaftFromNaboo, who sort of tried to say why he likes it in as few words as possible. Saying it's a piece of art or the writer is a treasure doesn't really explain any of the hype.

Not trying to make people agree with me. I don't get it. If it's so great, why is it so hard to describe why?

Perhaps I should just leave this thread to die and become a mystery like the show to which it refers. Then in a few years, some thread necromancer can dig it up.

I'm done.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not, I just don't get it at all. I'm watching the second "return" episode right now. Best I can tell, that agent cooper guy has MPD and the entire show is in his head, like the movie Identity. None of it makes any sense.

And the promos for the new episodes say: "Before men were mad....before games were played for thrones" (or something like that) - I couldn't get into those shows either.

I read on this site http://whyihateeverything.com/twin-peaks/ and elsewhere that they pretty much half-assed the second season.

I've given this show much more of a try than I did Game of Thrones (about 5 minutes), Breaking Bad (about 8 minutes), Mad Men (about 3 minutes). Don't know why I'm punishing myself, but it seems like there has to be some sense made of this mess at some point...will it ever get to that, or is what people like about it so much the fact that it makes no sense and never will?

To each his own, but if you're only giving yourself a few minutes on which to decide if you'll watch a show or not, I'd speculate you're missing a lot of shows you'd actually like.

I thought Breaking Bad was a great show, but it took me a couple of episodes to get into it. I thought the pilot episode of Firefly was the weakest from an otherwise great show. It's not the case with every show, others grab me right from the get go, but just because I'm not immediately in love with a show doesn't mean I won't be.

phillo12345

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And, while one person criticized me, you're right, no one has really tried to explain the show or what is really great about it, besides ShaftFromNaboo, who sort of tried to say why he likes it in as few words as possible. Saying it's a piece of art or the writer is a treasure doesn't really explain any of the hype.

Not trying to make people agree with me. I don't get it. If it's so great, why is it so hard to describe why?

I was going to explain why I like the show but I read some of your initial replies and they were so negative I didn't think there was any point.

But here are some shows that I've been watching and they're probably all better than Twin Peaks:

If you're looking for a Cold War drama with a kickass 80s soundtrack and two sexy and talented lead actors (Keri Russell steals the show though) you should watch The Americans.

Give Bates Motel a shot if you haven't seen it, if I wasn't gay I'd be in love with Norma Bates but since I'm gay I'm in love with the sheriff.

Banshee is tough to explain but it's an absurd and fun story of mistaken identity set in Amish Country and it has the most badass femmy drag queen/trans character I've seen. The fight scenes in it are just excellent. I would watch it just for the fight scenes. On one occasion while watching Banshee by myself I jumped up, fist-pumped the air and yelled "FUCK YEAH".

If you're into the thriller/mystery/horror/creepy genre Channel Zero and Stranger Things: high quality miniseries with 80s themes. They're both top quality TV and too complicated to explain but Google them.

Never watched the originals or the new one.
Me neither. All I know about the old one was the advertising back then, with the deep south drawl "she's dead, wrapped in plastic". That's about it for me and my knowledge of it.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"The guy" has a name and it's David Lynch. And for the record, he's brilliant and a national treasure.
If anyone can be called a genius in the visual arts it's David Lynch.
I haven't seen Twin Peaks Season 3 yet but I'm counting down the days to the Blu-ray release on December 5th. It was only on a Sky satellite channel here and I'm a cable subscriber.
MisterVIP - "I don't get it. If it's so great, why is it so hard to describe why?"
It sounds like you want a conventional story with a linear narrative. Trying to explain the appeal of arthouse cinema to someone who just doesn't get it is like trying to explain the appeal of Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol to someone who just wants nice pictures of trees and lakes.