Vanity Sizing

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
They've been doing this in women's fashion for decades, I'm pretty sure that's true in men's too actually. I know if I want to feel good about myself I buy trousers in American Apparel because the 32" waist is comfy, but if I'm feeling like I want a kick in the nuts I'll try on some in Zara and feel like Jaba the Hut in the same size. :p

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They've been doing this in women's fashion for decades, I'm pretty sure that's true in men's too actually. I know if I want to feel good about myself I buy trousers in American Apparel because the 32" waist is comfy, but if I'm feeling like I want a kick in the nuts I'll try on some in Zara and feel like Jaba the Hut in the same size. :p

I remember being at a comedy club in the 90's and one of the gals doing standup was talking about Vanity Sizing in woman's clothing and I still remember the line "The more expensive the dress the smaller the sizing is... Somewhere out there is a size four cocktail dress that will fit Nell Carter!"

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I became aware of the trend of "vanity sizing" awhile back. This is the practice of making sizes in clothing (and no doubt, other items) something other than what they originally were, to deceive the buyer. I mentioned awhile back that (unless my feet have grown by two sizes), size "twelve's" today are a whole lot smaller than what they were.

Several weeks ago I saw a news report on men's waist sizes. Those of us who think we're still getting into a 32L, guess again. 32 these days are what 34 - 36 USED to be. 36? Better hit the gym. "Long" length pants are a mere 34, not 36.

Some manufacturers have done away with sizes altogether. One size fits all. Makes one wonder. Are Magnums not quite the "stuff" they once were?

ref. Vanity sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I hate this Vanity Sizing business. Makes it hard to buy suits too. Yesterday at Nordstrom Rack I tried on suits ranging from 37 to 42, regular and long length, and none of them would fit well without serious alterations. Time for custom clothing.