Vodka and Me

Long&Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well I've been in college for several weeks now, classes start on the 27th of August. Us football players have been here for a couple weeks before hand to get ready for the season and what not. And for the past two nights I've tried my hand at partying. Saturday night was great...I met two girls and talked with them for hours, however last night was pretty lame. My buddy is crazy about Vodka, and since I've never had it I thought I'd try it...bad idea for me. It tastes terrible, makes me sick, and mixxed with things it still tastes crappy, granted I had Heaven Hill vodka...but still. Never again will I drink Vodka, I'm getting sick just thinking about it. So do you all like Vodka? And if you don't what sent you away from it?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well I've been in college for several weeks now, classes start on the 27th of August. Us football players have been here for a couple weeks before hand to get ready for the season and what not. And for the past two nights I've tried my hand at partying. Saturday night was great...I met two girls and talked with them for hours, however last night was pretty lame. My buddy is crazy about Vodka, and since I've never had it I thought I'd try it...bad idea for me. It tastes terrible, makes me sick, and mixxed with things it still tastes crappy, granted I had Heaven Hill vodka...but still. Never again will I drink Vodka, I'm getting sick just thinking about it. So do you all like Vodka? And if you don't what sent you away from it?

OH, OH, someone is trying to bait me to start a poll on their favorite alcohol.:biggrin1: (I'll save it for a boring day)

I like vodka. I think it is the alcohol with the least taste. It mixes well with fruit juices too. Vodka and Cranberry..Yum.

The alcohol I don't like is GIN :mad: . It smells and tastes like perfume to me.

I'm not a big drinker. I can go for a month or more without thinking of a drink. I have not been drunk in over 15 years.

Lito

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Vodka is awesomeness in a bottle, enough said about my tastes :)

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Martinis were popular in the late '90s (they may still be). I worked at a restaurant and would occasionally taste a specialty martini to be able to market them to our guests. A vodka martini is basically chilled vodka. Never did it for me. Most vodka mixed drinks don't appeal to me. Tequila is more user friendly.

I seldom drink now that I'm getting older (56). It tears me up if I have more than 2 drinks/glasses of beer/glasses of wine. The hangovers suck. On those rare times that I will drink, It would be to share a killer bottle of wine with friends or to have a nice, red microbrew beer with the guys.

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry to be a prude, but if you are genuinely in training, why are you drinking and partying at all. If you have energy for that, you obviously aren't being worked hard enough.

That being said, vodka was always my favorite hard drink preferably neat (but rarely, if at all, consumed during season).

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey Long&Thick,

I also had some bad experiences with vodka when I was in college. I only started drinking it again a couple of years ago, and I'm 36 now. I mainly use it for Bloody Marys. Otherwise, I'm generally not a fan of mixed drinks. I like to taste the alcohol.

Lots of people say that vodka has no taste, but I disagree. It does have a taste, and a nasty taste at that--sort of bland and harsh at the same time. Premium vodkas will taste lighter and cleaner, but will still have a taste. My preferred brand is Svedka. It's almost like drinking water, and it's smooth enough to drink straight. It also has the added bonus of being much less expensive than a premium vodka. I prefer unflavored vodkas, but you may find one of the flavored varieties more drinkable (citron, clementine, raspberry, and vanilla).

You should also keep in mind that liquors have a much higher alcohol content than beer or wine, so a little goes a long way. I think the reason college kids get sick is because they mix it with stuff so they can't taste it, and then they drink it too much too fast, as if it were juice or soda. If you're partying, you're gonna get thirsty. Don't try to use your alcoholic drink to quench your thirst. Drink plenty of water or something non-alcoholic to quench your thirst. Sip your alcohol, and develop an appreciation for it's complex flavors. Let yourself get drunk gradually, so that you can identify the point when you've had enough and can stop drinking then. I think gin & tonic is a good starter drink, a way to ease into the adult world of drinking alcohol. If you're not crazy about the taste, add some lime juice to make it more palatable.

The alcohol I don't like is GIN :mad: . It smells and tastes like perfume to me.

Oh, I like gin much better than vodka, just for the reason you mention. I think it smells and tastes delicious. However, for that very reason, I wouldn't waste it in a mixed drink. I only use it for martinis or for a gin & tonic. Here's my brief assessment of some of the most popular gins:

Beefeater: This is the standard of measurement. It's good, but not the best. I never drink anything less.

Tanqueray: Over-rated. Most people think it's better than Beefeater but it's not. I think it's bland. Maybe Tanqueray is the gin for people who don't like gin. It's acceptable for mixing, but a cheaper gin would do for that.

Bombay Sapphire: Very good gin, but somewhat non-traditional. It's a bit spicy. I like it if I'm in the mood for it, but it's more expensive and generally not worth it.

Bombay (regular): Take some of the extra spice out of Bombay Sapphire, and you've got Bombay's regular gin. It's similar to Beefeater but a little smoother, more balanced, and less harsh. This is my favorite for most occasions.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you want to know what a bad drink is, its name is TEQUILA (or tek-ee-ya) :tongue:

Vodka is my drink of choice. I drink doubles with lemonade :cool:

Smirnoff is what I drink though.

Gin and juice is a decent drink, but too expensive for my tastes. Just try loads of drinks and see what you like.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What is the legal drinking age in England, and is is different for hard liquor as opposed to beer and wine?

Also what is it for the rest of Europe, or any other country.

Long&Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sorry to be a prude, but if you are genuinely in training, why are you drinking and partying at all. If you have energy for that, you obviously aren't being worked hard enough.

That being said, vodka was always my favorite hard drink preferably neat (but rarely, if at all, consumed during season).

Reason we went partying is because of Freshman Orientation. Freshman didnt have to be at practice at all so the upperclassmen in the frats and stuff had a couple of us over. But we resume practice today, and school starts tomorrow, so I doubt ill be doing anything for awhile..because drinking during school days is bad news.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you want to know what a bad drink is, its name is TEQUILA (or tek-ee-ya) :tongue:

I love a good margarita, the classic kind with salt on the rim, not the frozen "slushie" kind. I used to live in Colorado and there were lots of Mexican restaurants that made fabulous margaritas. Now I'm back in New England, and can't get a good one. (Or good Mexican food, for that matter.)

However, drinking straight tequila makes me sick. I bought a bottle a couple of years ago, since I like the taste. One day after work, I was in the mood for a shot. Within minutes, maybe even less than a minute, I felt nauseated. A couple of days later, forgetting the previous incident, I had another shot, quickly felt nauseated, and actually threw up. Then I felt fine. I can only assume that I'm somehow sensitive to it, so now I'm afraid to drink it. I've had a few margaritas since then, however, and didn't have any problems.

Vodka is my drink of choice. I drink doubles with lemonade :cool:

When I was a senior in college, a friend made rum with lemonade. It would not have occurred to me to combine the two, but it was surprisingly good. I've never had it again, though.

I went through a rum drink phase in college. One day in the late afternoon, I made a banana dacquiri. My friend came into the kitchen and said, "don't you have class?" I said, "yup," poured the dacquiri into a plastic Skidmore College travel mug, and went off to class. It was a very interesting class.

Smirnoff is what I drink though.

I believe I've had Smirnoff Platinum, which I rather liked for a vodka. But I haven't seen it in the liquor stores in years.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a bottle of tekeeya before, between myself and my ex's dad. It got a bit competitive. I had one shot and didn't let him see that it tasted like dog shit. So then we kept drinking, seeing who would give up first. Then the bottle was empty. Then I threw up yellow sick all over my ex's parent's living room. Luckily they were in bed and my gf at the time was there to clean it up :tongue:

Tekeeya is awful.

The legal drinking age for any alcoholic drink in England is 18. You get asked for ID if you don't look over 21 though.

FYI I am over 20 years old! Rum makes me sick

Long&Thick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yah see I did have some Jim Beam and Coke, an upper classmen of mine had it and made one up for me, I could drink that all night and feel fine. But now whenever I hear the word Vodka, I get sick..I drank so much water and gatorade this morning and early afternoon in preparation for practice..I learned my lesson..and that is never drink when I have something to do the next day, never. But on saturday nights (no practice on sundays) its game on...if I have my homework done.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I had a bottle of tekeeya before, between myself and my ex's dad. It got a bit competitive. I had one shot and didn't let him see that it tasted like dog shit. So then we kept drinking, seeing who would give up first. Then the bottle was empty. Then I threw up yellow sick all over my ex's parent's living room. Luckily they were in bed and my gf at the time was there to clean it up :tongue:

Tekeeya is awful.

The legal drinking age for any alcoholic drink in England is 18. You get asked for ID if you don't look over 21 though.

FYI I am over 20 years old! Rum makes me sick
I'm 19... hehe I love me Rum!! mmmmm