View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My response is the best way to monitor this is to use your body and common sense as a meter of your endurance level. Your body will tell you while you are exercising if you need to rest or if the weights you are using are too heavy. Learn to listen to your body if the weight is too heavy to lift or lift properly then don't do it. You can gradually increase weight and/or reps with time. You need to work with the weights to offer resistance and burn but not severe pain that could lead to injury. You can apply the same principle to cardio and aerobic moves; your body will tell you when you need to stop and rest.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Heavy weight would be that which you could do between 6 and 8 reps . Generally if you are looking to bulk up you would lift heavier weights for fewer reps. If you are looking to firm and tone you would lift lighter weights for more reps - 10 to 12.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
this.... The amount of weight one considers to be heavy will vary. If you cannot push or pull a weight thru more than 4-6 reps...then that is heavy...IMO. I normally do sets of 8. When I go heavy...if I cannot do more than that...I do not go up anymore till I can. The idea of a one rep max, to me is stupid, and dangerous. You can really hurt yourself trying to see the amount of weight you can push or pull one time.

My response is the best way to monitor this is to use your body and common sense as a meter of your endurance level. Your body will tell you while you are exercising if you need to rest or if the weights you are using are too heavy. Learn to listen to your body if the weight is too heavy to lift or lift properly then don't do it. You can gradually increase weight and/or reps with time. You need to work with the weights to offer resistance and burn but not severe pain that could lead to injury. You can apply the same principle to cardio and aerobic moves; your body will tell you when you need to stop and rest.

bodybuilder1980

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Many people have this belief that light weights and high reps = toning and heavy weight, low reps for building... Try sticking to the 8-12 rep work range... Lighter weights, higher reps will just be cardio and wont slim you .. Its just a misconcept... To slim down you still need to lift to cause hyper trophy while watching what you eat to strip off the subcutaneous fat to reveal the muscle definition.. You need to build muscle and shocking the bod with high reps or lower reps are good for a shock to a particular muscle group...

Dont woryr about the ole adage that Oh I dont wanna get bulky and huge so I will refrain from heavy weights. . Getting big and bulky takes YEARS and the help of 'supplements'

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Heavy weight would be that which you could do between 6 and 8 reps . Generally if you are looking to bulk up you would lift heavier weights for fewer reps. If you are looking to firm and tone you would lift lighter weights for more reps - 10 to 12.

this.... The amount of weight one considers to be heavy will vary. If you cannot push or pull a weight thru more than 4-6 reps...then that is heavy...IMO. I normally do sets of 8. When I go heavy...if I cannot do more than that...I do not go up anymore till I can. The idea of a one rep max, to me is stupid, and dangerous. You can really hurt yourself trying to see the amount of weight you can push or pull one time.

Many people have this belief that light weights and high reps = toning and heavy weight, low reps for building... Try sticking to the 8-12 rep work range... Lighter weights, higher reps will just be cardio and wont slim you .. Its just a misconcept... To slim down you still need to lift to cause hyper trophy while watching what you eat to strip off the subcutaneous fat to reveal the muscle definition.. You need to build muscle and shocking the bod with high reps or lower reps are good for a shock to a particular muscle group...

Dont woryr about the ole adage that Oh I dont wanna get bulky and huge so I will refrain from heavy weights. . Getting big and bulky takes YEARS and the help of 'supplements'

Wow, thanks a lot everyone for taking the time for this. I knew I can count on the muscle people for help. I will take all the considerations in mind when I go to the gym. I do want to bulk, firm up and look cut enough to turn head, how's that for a goal.LOL