What do you know about the Masons?

Byron_Texas

Just Browsing
Media
Dan Brown's follow-up book to the "Da Vinci Code" will be about the Masons.

There is a secret Masonic distress phrase hidden in the dust jacket of the hard-bound "Da Vinci Code." Look closely at the text on the DVC dust jacket and you will see certain characters that are a little bolder than others.

It's Brown's hint at the subject of his next book.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Masonic Temple in Washington DC is indeed a spectacular estate. If you are ever anywhere near the area, you most definitely check it out. There are some public areas, the building is incredible, and the grounds are beautiful.

My dad was active (and reached one of the higher degrees) with the Freemasons, and my mom with the OES. I never had any interest.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
husky,
Thanks for the firsthand account. But I didn't know they had basketball teams. No wonder they have that really nice checkered floor.

I was making a joke. I go to George Mason University. We're actually the Patriots though, not the Masons.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
I was making a joke. I go to George Mason University. We're actually the Patriots though, not the Masons.
Haha, so was I. But I am so friggin pedantic, that noone ever realizes it. Its that perpetual Al Schweringen scowl, I guess.

DiegoID

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
husky14620 said:
I know these things because I was a DeMolay, until they had issues with my coming out. My father, brother-in-law, mother, sister, paternal grandfather and grandmother, and her brother (my great-uncle) have all been involved with one or more of the organizations. In fact, all but my grandfather have been high-mucky-mucks in their respective groups, mostly multiple times. I know several Gay members of Masonic Lodges, some openly Gay, though MOST, NOT ALL Lodges frown upon Gays and Lesbians, which is one of the reasons I never joined (to my grandmother's great disappointment).

I've often wondered what the Freemason's views were on homosexuality. Thanks!

After reading all the conspiracy theory, and history I've thought about joining the Freemasons. I figure if almost all the presidents were masons, perhaps I should join the secret club. It's got to be a waste of time, unless I really get along with the crusty guys at the lodge. There's probably a better organizations for social networking that don't involve secrecy oaths, odd initiation rituals, and a couple hundred years worth of conspiracy theory.

What are the entrance requirements anyway?

Also, if anyone is wondering. the "Eye and Pyramid" or Eye of Providence symbol is used by the masons it's also been co-opted by conspiracy theorists, Bavarian Illuminati (FNORD), Steve Jackson Games, and the US Treasury Dept.
If your really actually interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

I see the Square and Compass symbol for Freemasonry (With a "G" for god) on peoples cars all the time. (It's almost as common as the AA Triangle and Circle).

Multipass

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey, anybody notice the free mason symbol flash during that Lindsay Lohan music video?

I shit you not, me and my buddy slowed it down on his pc, for some reason the symbol flashes for like a half second for no apparant reason. :confused:

The video editor must have been a mason and felt like screwing around on the job or something. At any rate it really creeps me out to tell you the truth.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DiegoID said:
I see the Square and Compass symbol for Freemasonry (With a "G" for god) on peoples cars all the time. (It's almost as common as the AA Triangle and Circle).

I think the G stands for Geometry. But in this case Geometry is part math and part metaphysics, like the rest of their terminology. Much like Alchemists spoke in chemistry terms about their metaphysics, Masons speak in architectural terms about theirs.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever mention God. They only refer to him as The Supreme Being or The Grand Architect. But I could be wrong about the lack of reference to God.

I used to think it stood for Guild or Gauge, but I dont' think either of them are right.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
I think the G stands for Geometry. But in this case Geometry is part math and part metaphysics, like the rest of their terminology. Much like Alchemists spoke in chemistry terms about their metaphysics, Masons speak in architectural terms about theirs.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they ever mention God. They only refer to him as The Supreme Being or The Grand Architect. But I could be wrong about the lack of reference to God.

I used to think it stood for Guild or Gauge, but I dont' think either of them are right.

JA, i've noticed that link when reading about them and I think it's why I find the subject of Masons appealing. Do you know if there are any books on that topic and, if so, can you recommend any?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mercurialbliss said:
JA, i've noticed that link when reading about them and I think it's why I find the subject of Masons appealing. Do you know if there are any books on that topic and, if so, can you recommend any?
merc,
There have been a lot of books written about the Masons, but I have not really read any. My interest comes from my grandfathers total immersion into Freemasonry. He was a Grand Master. I used to read his books which were all about metaphysical Enlightenment stuff cast in the terms of an architect or a builder. I think I even have one. I will dig it up and quote a few things that look very innocuous. Hopefully, I don't get my guts sucked out by a demon for that.

The early exposure left me interested enough to read an article here and there, but I don't think I know enough to recommend a book. I do have a very strong interest in the early part of the Enlightenment where people began to incorporate empirical ideas into their metaphysics. Maybe that comes from my grandfather's interest, I don't know. But imagine the sheer astonishment as they began to realize that the universe was mathematical. It still gives me a shiver of numinousity. Yes, I know. I am truly a geek.

But not to leave you empty handed, I can recommend a really fun book about that period called Quicksilver. Neal Stephenson is truly the modern Pynchon. Another fun book about a thousands year old conspiracy (fiction) is Foucault's Pendulum.

This is all fiction, but I am thinking you might like it. You might be way ahead of me on this, but if not. Get these books for your vacation.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
JustAsking said:
merc,
There have been a lot of books written about the Masons, but I have not really read any. My interest comes from my grandfathers total immersion into Freemasonry. He was a Grand Master. I used to read his books which were all about metaphysical Enlightenment stuff cast in the terms of an architect or a builder. I think I even have one. I will dig it up and quote a few things that look very innocuous. Hopefully, I don't get my guts sucked out by a demon for that.

Demonwise, I think you're safe. :biggrin1: I encourage you to be as innocuous as you possibly can.

The early exposure left me interested enough to read an article here and there, but I don't think I know enough to recommend a book. I do have a very strong interest in the early part of the Enlightenment where people began to incorporate empirical ideas into their metaphysics. Maybe that comes from my grandfather's interest, I don't know. But imagine the sheer astonishment as they began to realize that the universe was mathematical. It still gives me a shiver of numinousity. Yes, I know. I am truly a geek.

I share the same interest. The alchemical and metaphysical novice in me still pokes around in the subject whenever I find time. I'm an interior designer by trade so architecture is naturally interwoven in my profession and i've been interested since building houses with Lincoln Logs when I was six. If this labels us as geeks, so be it. I'm not even sure I realized why I "got' whatever i've read about the Masons until you mentioned the architecture factor although it should have occurred to me.

But not to leave you empty handed, I can recommend a really fun book about that period called Quicksilver. Neal Stephenson is truly the modern Pynchon. Another fun book about a thousands year old conspiracy (fiction) is Foucault's Pendulum.

I've not read Neal Stephenson although he's been highly recommended before. I'm a big Umberto Eco fan, so that part is covered.

This is all fiction, but I am thinking you might like it. You might be way ahead of me on this, but if not. Get these books for your vacation.

Thanks, JA. Much appreciated.

Spoogesicle

Experimental Member
Media
Under a bridge...The Bridge of Sighs (or Size?)
Sexuality
Unsure
JustAsking said:
The Knights Templar, however, is as old as they say they are. They date back to the crusades.

Not really. Let's not confuse the Knights Templars with the Knights Templar of modern speculative Freemasonry. The former were an actual order of knights who were required to give up all personal wealth and take an oath to guard the passage of pilgrims to the sacred sites in the Holy Land. They pre-date the Freemasons. The Knights Templar took their name from the Knights Templars of the medieval era, but there's no actual connection or direct lineage. Most of the actual Knights Templars were immolated in France in the twelfth century. Sure, a few escaped to Scotland, but they were certainly dead before the founding of modern Freemasonry.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
DiegoID said:
What are the entrance requirements anyway?

You must be 21 years old.
You must believe in a supreme being.
You must be able to pass a background investigation.

You must ask a Freemason for a petition to join his lodge, then send that petition back to the lodge where it will be given to an investigating committee. If the committee find nothing in your background to prevent you from being admitted, they will present your petition at the next lodge meeting for a vote. If no member or members present object to your joining the lodge, then you're in. All you have to do then is receive three degrees by participating in rituals during which they will be conferred upon you, and do a bit of studying so you can be tested on each of the three degrees.

That's all.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spoogesicle said:
Not really. Let's not confuse the Knights Templars with the Knights Templar of modern speculative Freemasonry.
Spooge, thanks and yes, they are not the same guys. I meant to say that the original Knights Templar were truly old, whereas the Freemasons are only a recently formed organization. The modern day Templars, Rosicrucians, Illuminatti, etc, are not really direct lineages back to the original groups.

I don't really believe the original Templars formed the Freemasons, but the conspiracy theories about that are really interesting. The crux of it is that the remaining vanquished Templars formed the Freemasons in order to bring in a secular Enlightenment world order so as to get revenge on the Catholic church that betrayed them.

They hid out in the stonemason's guilds and disguised their speculative work in the trappings of the building craft terminology to avoid detection, and they influenced the birth of science and secular humanism. Over time the speculative part overtook the operative part and when the world was sufficiently secular and they had enough political clout, they surfaced in the 1700s and went public. Part of their work was to influence the founding of America as a beacon of the Englightenment.

Its one of the most interesting conspiracy theories, I think. Its a way better story than the DaVinci Code, JFK Assasination conspiracies, or 9/11 missles hitting the Pentagon. I wonder if Tom Hanks will be in the movie?