Whitney's Return

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been seeing posters all over town announcing WH's new cd out on the 31st. Are you excited? It's been 7 yrs since she released a cd and spent those yrs being, shall we say, off kilter. She still looked bombed on tv the last time I saw her a few months ago. I must admit, I thot she was great on the first go round and then......she met Bobby. 'Nuff said.
I'm curious to hear what her sound is now and hope she's gotten it together. It would be sad if someone as talented as her was washed up at this point. IMHO.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I listened to her new songs yesterday and am not overly impressed. Will she get radio play? Maybe--her first single already fell off the Billboard Hot 100. The album is a bit too "safe" to me. It sounds rather generic--nothing we would not expected from any of the other great singers today -- like Jennifer Hudson--which is not a good thing in this case. Whitney should not sound like other people, they should sound like her.

Listen to her album here: Whitney Houston | The Official Whitney Houston Site

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought she was dead?!?!??!?! :eek:

seriously!

I am not usually this out of it, but i could swear i remember her dying...ODing while with Bobby Brown and there was crack and/or coke all over a dirty apartment or bathroom or something?

who the hell am i thinking of? :redface::redface::redface:

B_Dustydo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I thought she was dead?!?!??!?! :eek:

seriously!

I am not usually this out of it, but i could swear i remember her dying...ODing while with Bobby Brown and there was crack and/or coke all over a dirty apartment or bathroom or something?

who the hell am i thinking of? :redface::redface::redface:

Wishful thinking perhaps?:biggrin1:

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A co-worker heard promos and said she is not the OLD Whitney. Well obviously ! But he said she sounded like a cracked-out Dionne Warwick. He said not to spend my money, have some sucker that buys it to make me a copy !!!

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm quite excited about Whitney's return. I will admit to loving "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" but I am a bit biased as I do own pretty much everything she has ever released. I'm really looking forward to hearing the entire album - I didn't like her music as much when she went more into the R&B style of music, I prefer her as a soulful ballad singer.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like the new album. It is totally different from previous Whitney Houston albums. The song Million Dollar Bill sounds like classic Philly soul...reminds me of the girl group, First Choice.

People who are used to current music probably won't get into the new album.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The album leaked online and I've listened to the entire thing, it's hit and miss for me. When she's good she's brilliant (Million Dollar Bill, Call You Tonight) but when it's wrong it's terrible (her cover of "A Song For You" is simply dire).

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The album leaked online and I've listened to the entire thing, it's hit and miss for me. When she's good she's brilliant (Million Dollar Bill, Call You Tonight) but when it's wrong it's terrible (her cover of "A Song For You" is simply dire).

That's disappointing. But I'll probably buy it anyway.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've listened to the album again today. I am disappointed. Nothing on the album sounds even remotely vocally challenging or impressive. Do I expect Whitney or Mariah to have all the notes they had 10 years ago. No. But Whitney at 85 or 90% is still 95% better than most current singers. I don't think there is one high note on the entire album.

Oh well.

blkbro510

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Man this album is the worst! I swear these new producers don't know shit about song writing or don't even own any of her old albums. She's a singer, not an entertainer, she needs to songs that reflects that.

It's sad that she was that drug dealer-baby daddy-broke azz-thug Bobby Brown for all these years. She was with any other man she would've had albums and still probably have that voice!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think the album is pretty good. I didn't like A SONG FOR YOU though. But the album is a keeper for me. I am soooo happy that it doesn't have any weirded Antares AUTOTUNE settings on her voice or have songs that are produced by THE NEPTUNES.

She isn't singing those David Foster/Walter Afanasieff/ Diane Warren polished tunes. She is making an album that probably reflects how she feels at the moment. I think that that is more honest than jumping out the gates with some Beyonce'd riffed vocalese so that people will know Whitney upp'd her game.

I think that album is a suitable comeback. And maybe when her life is together, she can make that really amazing album. You never really know. Artists try a lot of things working with different people and all.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's sad that she was that drug dealer-baby daddy-broke azz-thug Bobby Brown for all these years. She was with any other man she would've had albums and still probably have that voice!

I can NOT stand that homophobic asshole. I hope that he never makes or attempts a comeback.