Why does everything in German sound so dirty?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I studied German in college (not seriously, just a komisch way to keep Torts lectures apart, and convince me and my pals that all drinking of beer was a study of German culture.)

Now, I've moved to Munich for my job, and three things occur to me as I sit in a bar across the hof from my office in Theresienhöhe.
  1. Even though I have studied German at a respectable institution of higher learning, I have no fucking idea what anyone's saying.
  2. I should really get an English keyboard for this damn thing.
  3. I don't ever recall German sounding so dirty. Not quite obscene, but just suggestive of dirty words.
Oh, and I discovered Speedoguy's avatar. Apparently, he's extra combustible.

View attachment 10089

View attachment 10090

View attachment 10091

View attachment 10092

View attachment 10093

Ich liebe Euch,

HB8

I am sure you know, you were taught hochdeutsch, not bayerisch in school, so of course you don't understand the muncheners speaking their own language, as also would be the case with a schwabischer from heidelberg(I think they are swabians, any way, perhaps getting close to franconian)

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First, a little note to rubberwilli and earllogjam. Did I tell you that from next week on, I'll be living with a German-born man, who has been working and living here (has received the US citizenship too) for over 20 years? And that I'll gladly take the fucking from him, every night? :biggrin1:

I've been learning this language for a few months now, I don't think it sounds very dirty in particular. However, it sounds a little funny, and some of the sounds are hard to produce for an American tongue, and throat, for that matter. I'm not so basic any more, however I don't trust my abilities here, I often lack the words for what I want to say.

As I learned in a travel last year, which has taken me to the surrounding of Munich, that German air traffic controllers speak a great English. I have never heard such a good pronunciation in the US ever, and even the Brits have problems coming close to that.

swampy

Just Browsing
Media
There's a town in Austria called Fucking that I've always wanted to go to just so I could tell people I've been to Fucking, Austria. I wonder if they sell T-shirts? "My parents went to Austria and all I got was this Fucking shirt".

Fucking, Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Four linguists were sharing a compartment on a train on their way to an international conference on sound symbolism. One was English, one Spanish, one French and the fourth German. They got into a discussion on whose language was the most eloquent and euphonious. The English linguist said: "Why, English is the most eloquent language. Take for instance the word "butterfly". Butterfly, butterfly... doesn't that word so beautifully express the way this delicate insect flies. It's like flutter-by, flutter-by."
"Oh, no!" said the Spanish linguist, "the word for "butterfly" in Spanish is "mariposa". Now, this word expresses so beautifully the vibrant colours on the butterfly's wings. What could be a more apt name for such a brilliant creature? Spanish is the most eloquent language!"
"Papillon!" says the French linguist, "papillon! This word expresses the fragility of the butterfly's wings and body. This is the most fitting name for such a delicate and ethereal insect. French is the most eloquent language!"
At this the German linguist stands up, and demands: "Und vot is rongk mit 'SCHMETTERLING'?"

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There's a town in Austria called Fucking that I've always wanted to go to just so I could tell people I've been to Fucking, Austria. I wonder if they sell T-shirts? "My parents went to Austria and all I got was this Fucking shirt". Fucking, Austria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Funny. Every time I use the word "fucking" in the office (because it is part of my unique English patois) everyone smiles and says, "Ah, yes, that charming town in Austria..."

At this the German linguist stands up, and demands: "Und vot is rongk mit 'SCHMETTERLING'?"
Ja, und...

musclebutt2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
German is not a romance language it tends to sound gutteral like one is clearing ones throat.

Maybe it's just me, but the romance languages are much more melodic to my ear. The most widely spoken Romance language today is Spanish, followed by Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian and Catalan. All but Catalan are main and official national languages in more than one country. A few other languages have official status on a regional or otherwise limited level, for instance Friulian, Sardinian and Valdôtain in Italy; Romansh in Switzerland; Galician, OccitanAranese and Catalan in Spain (the latter of which is also the only official language in the small sovereign state of Andorra). Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, and Romanian are also official languages of the European Union and the Latin Union; French and Spanish are two of the six official languages of the United Nations.

Ach Du lieber Gott! Eh, all of these languages come from Proto-Indo-European with none being better than the other. Your focus on the Romance languages is only the Italic/Latin branch of the tree while German, English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Dutch, Afrikaans, Yiddish, etc. are from the Germanic branch. Again, one language is not necessarily better than another. Of course, if I wanted to describe snow, it would be great to speak Inuit... or possibly write about sand while speaking an Afro-Asiatic dialect, and I suppose English would be most helpful in the field of aeronautics, but I am sure these languages have weaknesses as well. There are as many German regional dialects with distinct accents as there are English variations in America and abroad. Northern varieties of German are more "harsh" sounding than southern. Most people don't realize that southern Upper German was the more developed and sophisticated dialect of its time having completed the High German Sound shift at around AD750 while the northern lowland regions continued with Plattdeutsch and Low German. The regional dialect that became "Hochdeutsch" became defacto standard German by accident. Johannes Gutenberg and Martin Luther both studied at the University of Erfurt in present day Thuringia and spoke Central German dialects, thus Central German (the region between the Benrath & Germersheim Lines) became "Hochdeutsch." That was it; not because it was a "better" dialect.

I do want to learn Spanish eventually for academic purposes, but I've heard Catalan being spoken before and it is quite soft, smooth, and pretty; too bad it's worthless outside of Barttthhhelona :tongue:

You haven't lived until you've been fucked by a dominant German leather daddy... the language lends itself beautifully to the BDSM scene. For the record, I have not been so lucky, but I used to live in Berlin and there were some hot scenes in the back rooms.

Headbang8: Du bisst doch suess, soff noch mal 'ne Hefeweisse fuer mich!

Urgles

Just Browsing
Media
kalipygian said:
I am sure you know, you were taught hochdeutsch, not bayerisch in school, so of course you don't understand the muncheners speaking their own language, as also would be the case with a schwabischer from heidelberg(I think they are swabians, any way, perhaps getting close to franconian)

Uh oh. Well, I'd like to learn German. In fact, I'm already signed up for classes at the University for next year... (I realize mastering a new language takes many years). I knew that there are regional differences in word usage, but I've never heard of 'hochdeutsch, 'bayerisch,' etc. Excuse my ignorance, but could someone please more fully explain what these are, and their relation to the German language as a whole? Are they just different ways of pronouncing words, or does it go deeper than that? Thanks in advance.

lpsg_funcock

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
hi there, American born and raised here, fluent in German, with a wife from Bavaria. we both live close to Stuttgart right now and return to the US this year.
there are multiple German dialects in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, France and Italy. they're all somewhat unique but have different words and somewhat different pronounciations and accents. in Bavaria, they're famous for rolling their Rs (like in Spanish). practically everyone in Germany can pick-out the Bavarians because of this.
where we are, in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, they speak "Badisch," "Schwabisch," among other dialects. "Allemanisch" is similar to the most-spoken dialect in Switzerland and is common around Freiburg (close to the Swiss border).
the best way to describe it is to think about people in the US who speak "Ebonics" (yes, it is classified as a language)! we standard American English speakers really can't understand it. it's much the same in Germany for someone who only speaks "Hochdeutsch" when they hear the dialects.
In Munich, the vast majority of the people speak "Hochdeutsch." Bavarian (in this case "Oberbayerisch," there are other types of Bavarian) is also common, but High German is king even there, even if they have a Bavarian accent when they speak.

Enjoy the diversity!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
First, a little note to rubberwilli and earllogjam. Did I tell you that from next week on, I'll be living with a German-born man, And that I'll gladly take the fucking from him, every night? :biggrin1:

Claire, you lucky, lucky, lucky girl. I guess we can't ask about his size here? I'll just guess that it's......adequate to your standards.

Any dirty German sex words you can teach us?

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Whatever I hear in German my mind translates to 'lick my arse'.
Me Too!! How about the Hottie German Diplomat in the Apeasement Conference in the Remains of the Day? She spoke German in a scene and it made me stand at attention and wonder if she would let me lick her boots.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Headbang8: Du bisst doch suess, soff noch mal 'ne Hefeweisse fuer mich!
Funny enough, that's exactly what I'm doing. The famous Hofbrauhaus beer garden has excellent wireless internet coverage, you know.

Some people speak Hochdeutsch, others speak Plattdeutsch, and me, well I speak Krappdeutsch. It's quite a common dialect, I understand.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
As I learned in a travel last year, which has taken me to the surrounding of Munich, that German air traffic controllers speak a great English. I have never heard such a good pronunciation in the US ever, and even the Brits have problems coming close to that.
That's true. Germans who learn English seem to learn a very elegant version. Much more Klaus Kinski than Sergeant Schultz.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
<.> Any dirty German sex words you can teach us?

LOL well, he is no real talker during sex, and 20 years in an anglophone environment have killed his instincts a little. Also, my language abilities in German aren't his merit, but those of a company paid evening course. And sex words weren't in the curriculum.

Headbang, I don't have a real voice sample of Klaus Kinski available, but I think I get your point. Also, I remember the way Frank spoke during our vacation; I didn't understand a word then, but it didn't sound harsh at all.