ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I kind of feel like I am in a room full of PHD candidates presenting their Doctoral Dissertations on the Game of Thrones.
I have learned so much here beyond what I knew from the HBO series and word or mouth.
Thanks for the extra details

Ro

hairynyc

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
An actor that I rarely see mentioned, but I think is really hot, (although a bit frightening), is Tom Wlaschiha, who plays "Faceless Man", Jaqen H'ghar.

Images of Tom Wlaschiha

Anyone else think he's sexy as fuck?

A/B
Finally we're getting to what's important! Yeah, that dude is super hot, especially without the long hair. For that split second when it looked like he was dead my heart jumped a bit at the loss of hotness and weird speech patterns.

I also have an affinity for men around their 50s, so this show is daddy heaven for me. Liam Cunningham is the handsomest man ever, so I love some Davos time. Even with his flaying ways, Roose Bolton makes me tingle in my special place.

I've been rewatching Season 1 which is really interesting because I'm picking up on lots of stuff I missed and that makes more sense with hindsight. Cersei talks about a son she had with Robert who had black hair, but died of a fever. Hmmm, just like Jon Arryn! Also, regarding Jon Snow's parentage, Ned says, "You have Stark blood in your veins," which leaves us open to some theories that have been bouncing around. Mostly it's great to see the story develop. Now the show often feels like an extended preview of something crowded with storylines.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Could just be "Fan Art"... I doubt that HBO has released anything for Season 6 yet.

I've never posted to this thread before, and likely will not again, nor even to read the replies....

Etc, etc., , etc...

BigBen, your statement/tirade is EXACTLY the reason I quit reading the books when I started watching the HBO show. So I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the show without getting bent out off shape about them not following the books to a T. They have permission from the author to do their own thing. They are. Relax.

A/B

TaigaStar

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
What's amusing is that there are articles floating around (BuzzFeed, Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly... something that referenced the other that came up in a google search on Sunday) where the show's production staff has said no more Jon Snow, but George Martin has allegedly said that he's not so sure Jon Snow's story is finished (and probably not if he left that many loose ends open with Jon).

We should just simply remember, like the North.

BigBen

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Could just be "Fan Art"... I doubt that HBO has released anything for Season 6 yet.

BigBen, your statement/tirade is EXACTLY the reason I quit reading the books when I started watching the HBO show. So I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the show without getting bent out off shape about them not following the books to a T. They have permission from the author to do their own thing. They are. Relax.

A/B

ActionBuddy, I read your post..though I didn't think I would. LOL You are mistaken on one part. My comments were Not a tirade.."tirade" implies emotion/vested interest. I have none. I just explained why I quit watching. For exactly the same reasons, in reverse, that you quit reading the books and started only watching the show. You didn't want to be confused by the next HBO episode being different that what you had read, and didn't want to read the books if a more or less, generally less, "cliff notes" version could be had for 58 minutes to visually entertain you. No problem. Most folks are like that. People may discover the genre from the HBO series, but when the few who even think about reading the books goes to B&N or wherever and see's how big the books are, our non reader borderline illiterate society finds the easier path and doesn't bother. But I was one of the legions of fans of the books who had actually read them before hand. Automatically makes me a more educated to the series, and more critical viewer of HBO. I will read the next, and final two (so Martin says), when they are released...if ever...as he is writing slower and getting much older. He may never finish them. But since I read them, the show was a disappointment after about half the first season. That is natural and the position of many who had already read the books. Doesn't make the hundreds of thousands of us wrong, just seeing the show from a different perspective. But you have the opposite and quite natural position as well. You mentioned you hadn't read the books...so you stopped and just watched the show. Fine. Doesn't in any way make you wrong...just a different viewpoint on the show without the foresight of having read the far more involved and rich story lines of the books. We are both right, from our differing knowledge and perspectives, just as are the many hundreds of thousands of others just like us in our perspectives. I am not in any way "bent out of shape", for the same reason I didn't write a "tirade". That would require an emotional attachment divorced from reality. After all, both the books and show are fiction, and meant to be entertaining. Nothing more. I don't find myself wanting to do anything more than be momentarily occupied and entertained when I read. Not the fan com or comiccon or fan group type. And I'm sure I wouldn't even bother with an autograph of Martin, the producers, and all the actors if I walked in on them at a coffee shop and they offered. Not the type to collect autographs or memorabilia...well, other than the LOTR first editions that I was offered to be given to me as a gift when someone I knew passed and their widow was going to throw them out, along with a lot of other amazing books. That is another story. Some people rescue cats...I rescued books.

I hope everyone who enjoys the HBO show continues to do so for many seasons.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I feel anyone's pain that doesn't want to continue watching the show. I've watched everyone of my favorites get screwed in various ways and I feel emotionally whipped after this season.

tumblr_nj0mx8NTLT1rp2zn0o3_r1_500-1.gif

The rapes and bad writing in Dorne were bad enough but the way D&D did my favorite character Stannis is absolutely criminal.

Stannis the Mannis is the one true King of Westeros and the legitimate heir after Robert died. Putting Joffrey on the throne was illegal, The Starks were wardens of the North, not fucking Kings, Renly should have sworn allegiance to Stannis as was his duty.

b85.gif

D&D have hardons for Lena Headey and Cersei is a monster of a person... she gets a fancy arc but the one true king has his character literally assassinated?

75b.jpg

I've checked out emotionally so, I totally get anyone who doesn't want to watch anymore. I still get to root for Arya and Jorah (before he becomes a stone man)... Dany is just a wooden character with zero personality. Varys is cool... Littlefinger is a grey area where I am appalled by his morality yet impressed by his cunning.

WTF are all of the wildlings going to do at Castle Black now? Isn't there too many of them for the night's Watch to wipe out?

Stannis would have been better off hiring Thoros and I bet he'd work for room, board and beer.
Melisandre is just a weird "shadow baby-mama"... I bet she can't bring anyone back from the dead so it's useless that she's at Castle Black.

Where do you think she was while there was a group torchlight stabbing next to a conspicuous rustic "traitor diorama"? You could have heard the knife going in Jon from a half mile away... those rice bag thrusts were mixed sooooo fucking loud, I was reaching for the volume knob.

_dave_crown81

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Out and out book fan, read the first 2 cos that's all that were out then] the summer I broke my legI realized about 2 years ago [2/3rds through S3] that I gave up on the books a long time ago. But then I saw an Con interview with Charles Dance who said that these were adaptations, very good adaptations but they could never be verbatim, so for about the last season and a bit I've been happily along for the ride. Just keen now to see how the story ends.

Reactions: ronin001

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You didn't want to be confused by the next HBO episode being different that what you had read, and didn't want to read the books if a more or less, generally less, "cliff notes" version could be had for 58 minutes to visually entertain you.

I never said this. You are putting words in my mouth. Do not do that!... And, learn to edit your posts.

paraguy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no problem with any of the changes the tv show has made.

Why?

Anytime I see a movie or tv show based on a book or play or what have you, I remind myself of something. When you change the medium of a story, you absolutely cannot expect it to be the same thing. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which, no matter how much the adapters work, will fundamentally change the story being adapted.

So instead of going to see "Watchmen" and complaining about the lack of fake alien, or going to set "Ender's Game" and getting upset over the lack of the Peter/Valintine plot, or GoT and becoming a gusty over the omission of Jeyne Poole/fake Arya, I just take it as it's own thing. The fact that I have read the source material gives me insights on where the story might go, but every time the path of the story diverges from the book I smile a little because I know I am in for a surprise.

_dave_crown81

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I kind of feel like I am in a room full of PHD candidates presenting their Doctoral Dissertations on the Game of Thrones.
I have learned so much here beyond what I knew from the HBO series and word or mouth.
Thanks for the extra details

Ro
PM Me any questions, a mate of mine IS doing a PhD on the cultural impact of the show

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... Renly should have sworn allegiance to Stannis as was his duty.

Fair-minded, good hearted, and former Master of Laws, Renly Baratheon would not have submitted to his stodgy older brother's attachment to Melisandre and her creepy "religion"... He rightfully made his claim to be the new king.

Damn it! I'm getting hopeful he's [Jon], coming back... I need a rebound TV boyfriend.

I feel your pain, LaFemme!... Shall I put together a list of possible "rebound TV boyfriends" while you are waiting for G. of T. Season 6 to start next year?... I suspect that we have similar taste in hunky, TV series men... ;)

A/B

Reactions: LaFemme

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fair-minded, good hearted, and former Master of Laws, Renly Baratheon would not have submitted to his stodgy older brother's attachment to Melisandre and her creepy "religion"... He rightfully made his claim to be the new king.

The younger brother does not have a claim to the throne in front of his older brother despite the older brother converting to a new religion. This new religion might have seemed creepy to the people of Westeros but R'hilor is widely worshipped in Essos and is the majority religion in the Free Cities.

There was nothing "rightful" about Renly making his claim over Stannis who was the true heir to Robert Baratheon since Robert had no "trueborn" sons since all were bastards and Joffrey was a double Lannister.

"Renly offered me a peach. At our parley. Mocked me, defied me, threatened me, and offered me a peach. I thought he was drawing a blade and went for mine own. Was that his purpose, to make me show fear? Or was it one of his pointless jests? When he spoke of how sweet the peach was, did his words have some hidden meaning? Only Renly could vex me with a piece of fruit. He brought his doom on himself with his treason, but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.

In my dreams I see the juice running from his mouth, the blood from his throat. If he had done his duty by his brother, we would have smashed Lord Tywin. A victory even Robert could be proud of.
"

Renly was a fucking turd of a man... Stannis would have been forever grateful to Renly for his pledge of fealty. Renly chose his path. The Baratheon's aren't known to be the best decision makers. lolz!

Fuzzy_

Legendary Member
Media
I feel your pain, LaFemme!... Shall I put together a list of possible "rebound TV boyfriends" while you are waiting for G. of T. Season 6 to start next year?... I suspect that we have similar taste in hunky, TV series men... ;)

A/B
If Jon isn't revived by Melisandre then Fuzzy will eat a bug.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The younger brother does not have a claim to the throne in front of his older brother despite the older brother converting to a new religion. This new religion might have seemed creepy to the people of Westeros but R'hilor is widely worshipped in Essos and is the majority religion in the Free Cities*.

There was nothing "rightful" about Renly making his claim over Stannis who was the true heir to Robert Baratheon since Robert had no "trueborn" sons since all were bastards and Joffrey was a double Lannister.
Renly was a fucking turd of a man*... Stannis would have been forever grateful to Renly for his pledge of fealty. Renly chose his path. The Baratheon's aren't known to be the best decision makers. lolz!

* All the more reason for an intelligent leader to reject and challenge his easily co-opted brother's claim to the throne. Stannis was a blind, egotistical macho/wussy, clinging onto bogus "entitlement" that he didn't deserve. Renly was doing what he felt was right for Westeros, with the backing of important powers that be, at that time..

And, as a side note, I have yet to see any evidence that worship of R'hilor is the "majority" religion in the east. The Free Cities are a total jumble of ideologies... Perhaps that will change in up-coming Seasons of the show.

* Actually, throughout human history, the youngest heir often became a king or queen... But, usually because of the weaknesses or the death of an elder. Unfortunately, in Renly's case, he was finished off by his brother's lover's evil magic. I don't understand why you say that "Renly was a fucking turd of a man"... Do you say this just because he was openly bisexual?... The people of Westeros loved him for many reasons, and didn't even care about his sexuality.

I don't understand your enthusiasm for dawdling, power-hungry, daughter-killing, Stannis.

A/B

Reactions: hairynyc

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

A/B
Yes, please!