Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
you can count the records sold by the AI artists on two hands.

Hmm. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry have sold more than 32 million records. I agree that Idol is much more miss than hit, but when it hits it hits big.

I've always thought Idol's big problem as a vehicle for creating pop stars is the show's soul-crushing reliance on song genres that are far afield from modern pop music. I suppose disco and Motown classics make for good television, but they don't make for successful music careers.

Also, the European music market has always been fundamentally different sales-wise (and taste-wise). The charts "burn" about 3x faster than in the States, especially singles. So it's hard to compare them directly. Still, your basic argument that most Idol finalists don't wind up with successful music careers is correct.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hmm. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Chris Daughtry have sold more than 32 million records. I agree that Idol is much more miss than hit, but when it hits it hits big.

I've always thought Idol's big problem as a vehicle for creating pop stars is the show's soul-crushing reliance on song genres that are far afield from modern pop music. I suppose disco and Motown classics make for good television, but they don't make for successful music careers.

Also, the European music market has always been fundamentally different sales-wise (and taste-wise). The charts "burn" about 3x faster than in the States, especially singles. So it's hard to compare them directly. Still, your basic argument that most Idol finalists don't wind up with successful music careers is correct.

What about Clay Aiken and Jennifer Hudson? How many more millions is that? Hehe. He must have a lot of fucking fingers, eh?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What about Clay Aiken and Jennifer Hudson? How many more millions is that? Hehe. He must have a lot of fucking fingers, eh?

Altogether, the figures are staggering... hell, a 30 second commercial spot costs around $750,000!!!

I think I need to also mention the fact that Kelly Clarkson deservedly won 2 Grammy's in 2006. Then, the next year, Carrie Underwood won a Grammy for best Female Country performance but was wrongfully given the Best new Artist Grammy. Jennifer Hudson won a frickin' Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, so "Idol" has some real talent involved, Kelly Clarkson is a REAL pop singer, her singing is MAGNIFICENT.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Too funny - I almost said the same thing about his fingers. :biggrin1:

Yeah, I just picked the 3 biggest to make my point. I also try to block Clay Aiken from my mind whenever he crosses it. But I just checked and you can add another 6.5 million for him. Jennifer Hudson hasn't released a solo album yet but I believe she's working on one. Takes longer to put a record together when you've got an Oscar to polish.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Altogether, the figures are staggering... hell, a 30 second commercial spot costs around $750,000!!!

I think I need to also mention the fact that Kelly Clarkson deservedly won 2 Grammy's in 2006. Then, the next year, Carrie Underwood won a Grammy for best Female Country performance but was wrongfully given the Best new Artist Grammy. Jennifer Hudson won a frickin' Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, so "Idol" has some real talent involved, Kelly Clarkson is a REAL pop singer, her singing is MAGNIFICENT.
Yes sir! One of the few things you and I agree on. What we don't agree on is why conservatives hate America so much.

THEEman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
but is it really popular? you can't trust nielson ratings, the media is constantly talking about, is it popular just for popularities sake?