And then there were eight. PLUTO. Planet no more.

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
rawbone8 said:
Thanks big dirigible. I know I am out of my depth here, so your help and clarification is welcome. BTW I was attempting to use (misuse?) the term "eccentric" metaphorically, referring to the oddness of Pluto. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Pluto have a very eccentric orbit coming really close to the sun? My memories of high school physics are pretty fuzzy, but I thought that it orbits in a different direction than most of the other planets.

The orbit of Pluto doesn't get real close to the sun by any means, but it gets well inside the orbit of Neptune at times, and thereby closer to the sun than Neptune. Uranus probably has the most eccentric orbit in that its' axis tilts very strongly so that it always has one of the poles directed towards the sun.

On the other hand, the hypotethical planet X is supposed to orbit real close to Earth (and orbiting far out towards Sirius on the other extreme).
- Possibly, the Plutolings are gonna get a good giggle when planet X come back to say hello, in a millennium or so, and - supposedly - seriously upsetting the Earths' orbit. :biggrin1:
I am not planning to stay around here long enough to get to know if it's true. :cool:

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
rawbone8 said:
Pluto has hardly ever been a model of straight and narrow behaviour. A bit of a wanderer, crossing over and entering into Neptune's orbit at times. (That's no more than open minded celestial friendliness at worst?)

Great post, rawbone8! -- I've been reading this thread in a highly erratic manner, but finally worked my way to where it started. -

Who's now gonna rule the underworld, the taboos, and mindblowing sex? It's real sad news actually, and I'm not only saying this because I'm a Scorpio. :cool:
Of course, the good news is that there's gonna be a whole new sub-group of dwarf planets, a big party of Plutons, merrily orbiting there at the outer fringe of our solar system.
Pluto is also associated with nuclear energy, I hope SOMEONE on that board that demoted Pluto has given some thought to what a whole bunch of Plutons might get up to! :ponder: :biggrin1:

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
tygrrr said:
The orbit of Pluto doesn't get real close to the sun by any means, but it gets well inside the orbit of Neptune at times, and thereby closer to the sun than Neptune. Uranus probably has the most eccentric orbit in that its' axis tilts very strongly so that it always has one of the poles directed towards the sun.

On the other hand, the hypotethical planet X is supposed to orbit real close to Earth (and orbiting far out towards Sirius on the other extreme).
- Possibly, the Plutolings are gonna get a good giggle when planet X come back to say hello, in a millennium or so, and - supposedly - seriously upsetting the Earths' orbit. :biggrin1:
I am not planning to stay around here long enough to get to know if it's true. :cool:
Thanks for the clarification tygrrr.

The oddness of the orbits makes me wonder if Pluto, Charon and even the mysterious planet x (if it exists) are possibly large comets but lacking flare?

StMonkey

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, instead of thinking about the past anagram ive come up with a new one:
My Very Erotic Mistress Just Serviced Us Nonstop. Now all we really need are planets that start with an F and an H..... so it finishes For Hours

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
rawbone8 said:
Pluto is demoted. Diminished. Dropped. Dissed.
Number 9 no more. Contract non-renewed. So off the island.

Heavenly body? Yes. Fully-fledged planet status? NO.

Why this disfavour now? Seven decades of minor fame, and then it gets the hook.

Is it yet another case of over-reaching PC attitudes? Planetary correctness?

Shield the future generations of schoolchildren from oh-so-shady activity deep in bowels of the backroom at the Milky Way? Pluto has hardly ever been a model of straight and narrow behaviour. A bit of a wanderer, crossing over and entering into Neptune's orbit at times. (That's no more than open minded celestial friendliness at worst?)

Yes, well what about those infamous golden meteorite showers you've no doubt heard about and the bootlegged vids from Lick Observatory on the net? Not to name names, but Pluto's not alone in dabbling in that particular proclivity. Let's just say some extremely well known and beloved planets are known to indulge in that on an hourly basis.

We can tolerate the overwhelming brutish gravitational pull of Jupiter. Or the fiery temperament of Mercury. Abide that exhibitionistic orb that Venus flashes most evenings. And speaking of brazen, how about Saturn flaunting its... rings? Mars, never sure if it's here to fuck or fight. Earth. Candidate for narcissistic personality disorder? Always convinced it's the centre of the entire universe.

And please. Doesn't the debris around Uranus count for some demerits?

Pluto. In the end, its crime was simply being too boring.
Wallflower. Icy. Aloof. A dim dwarf. Definitely last to the party.

Not something you'd name a car after, would you?

Tickled my funny bone. Truly inspired post.

NCbear

emu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
reminded of the track "Pluto" from the group 2 Skinee Js on the Super Mercado CD

E

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
An ammendment re: my last post. Current data states that Charon is approximately half the size of Pluto.

Nasa's New Horizons unmanned spacecraft is scheduled to reach Pluto and its moons, or should I say Pluto and its plutons, in the year 2015. See the link below:

http://www.answers.com/topic/new-horizons

We have yet to see if "Xena" will become the ninth planet.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rawbone8 said:
Pluto is demoted. Diminished. Dropped. Dissed.
Number 9 no more. Contract non-renewed. So off the island.

Heavenly body? Yes. Fully-fledged planet status? NO.

Why this disfavour now? Seven decades of minor fame, and then it gets the hook.

Is it yet another case of over-reaching PC attitudes? Planetary correctness?

Shield the future generations of schoolchildren from oh-so-shady activity deep in bowels of the backroom at the Milky Way? Pluto has hardly ever been a model of straight and narrow behaviour. A bit of a wanderer, crossing over and entering into Neptune's orbit at times. (That's no more than open minded celestial friendliness at worst?)

Yes, well what about those infamous golden meteorite showers you've no doubt heard about and the bootlegged vids from Lick Observatory on the net? Not to name names, but Pluto's not alone in dabbling in that particular proclivity. Let's just say some extremely well known and beloved planets are known to indulge in that on an hourly basis.

We can tolerate the overwhelming brutish gravitational pull of Jupiter. Or the fiery temperament of Mercury. Abide that exhibitionistic orb that Venus flashes most evenings. And speaking of brazen, how about Saturn flaunting its... rings? Mars, never sure if it's here to fuck or fight. Earth. Candidate for narcissistic personality disorder? Always convinced it's the centre of the entire universe.

And please. Doesn't the debris around Uranus count for some demerits?

Pluto. In the end, its crime was simply being too boring.
Wallflower. Icy. Aloof. A dim dwarf. Definitely last to the party.

Not something you'd name a car after, would you?

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Don't despair. There's a rumour researchers are floating around that Earth's moon is likely to become a planet within the next 4 billion years.

And when it does, we'll party like it's 19,999,999,999.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
mercurialbliss said:
Have I told you lately that I love you?
sweet bliss! :kiss:

mercurialbliss said:
Don't despair. There's a rumour researchers are floating around that Earth's moon is likely to become a planet within the next 4 billion years.

And when it does, we'll party like it's 19,999,999,999.
Hurray!

And speaking of moons, I expect we will all flash ours in unison at that party. Woof!

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pecker said:
All of the other planets used to laugh and call him names,
They wouldn't let poor Pluto join in any planet games.

"...then one foggy Christmas eve...

I was a big Pluto fan as a kid, but it has turned out to be a big planetary disapointment. Pluto and Charon, along with a couple of nearby space rocks that barely qualify as moons are couple of puny overgrown asteroids, 1410 miles and 727 miles in diameter, orbiting each other in the vicinity of the Kuiper belt. With their eccenteric orbit with respect to the major planets, Pluto and Charon are rightly catagorized as dwarf planets...kinda like a 4 to 5 inch penis here at lpsg.org.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Well, there was no stopping it...

I mean, for cryin' out loud, compare this news with the Sailor Moon series. Moon, Mercury, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter had been gal pals for a long time and naturally they made a well-functioning albeit kooky team of senshi. Uranus and Neptune were lesbian lovers, and Uranus was so convincing as a guy when not decked out in her sailor gear, that Moon had a crush on him/her for several episodes. (Neptune was cute all around.) Saturn was a goth, so naturally she'd be left alone. And then you had this Pluto chick who hardly hung around the other eight anyway; she was to stand guard at the Gate of Time and c'mon she was like 40 compared to the other girls...

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To chicagosam, JustAsking, senor rubirosa, davidjh7, NCbear:

Sorry if I failed to acknowlege you individually earlier, but thanks for the very kind words, I appreciate it. :redface:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
tygrrr said:
Do you mean the binary stars Sirius A/B? If so that would be one weird orbit!

tygrrr

Just Browsing
Media
SteveHd said:
Do you mean the binary stars Sirius A/B? If so that would be one helluva orbit!

Some would say that Sirius consists of 3 stars even, but - yeah - that's the Sirius in in question.
This guy named Zechariah Sitchin has written extensively on this (hypothetical) planet, basing most of his research on ancient Sumerian texts. He calls the planet Nibiru, and suggests a 3600 year cycle (!) for it - swinging way out towards Sirius before it, supposedly, ricochets back here, causing serious havoc like e.g. the (Biblical) Flood...

I agree that would be one helluva orbit. :cool: