Audio/music track mixing software

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Are there any musicians out there that have a certain program they use to mix and add tracks of music together? And maybr even record?

It doesnt have to be freeware, but it would be better if it is :p

Thanks in advanced,

Josh Dodson

Ummagumma

Experimental Member
Media
I've always found audacity to be useful in the limited situations I've needed it... but I don't exactly do much complicated work in the audio department. Hope it helps...

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
AboutAverage said:
I've always found audacity to be useful in the limited situations I've needed it... but I don't exactly do much complicated work in the audio department. Hope it helps...

thanks a lot, I'll check it out... BTW, I like the Avatar, Les Claypool kicks ass... but oly a whole lot of it!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm guessing you're looking for Windows software, since users of other OSes tend to identify themselves. ;) Back when I was transferring a lot of music from vinyl to CD, I used Goldwave -- and was happy with the results. I still use it from time to time when I have some audio work to do. The feature set is daunting, so the learning curve is rather steep, and a lot of younger users prefer the more user-friendly Audacity instead.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
AboutAverage said:

AUDACITY IS THE SHIT, I USE IT PROFESSIONALY, IT GETS THE JOB DONE, You have to search and find free VST fx in order for it to be truly powerful. I used to use Cool Edit Pro, but find that Audacity is about 75% of that program, so I use it all the time, I just used it to mix and edit the audio on my latest Tony Duncan videos I just posted in my thread.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use the following:
1. ProTools LE 7.0 and/or ProTools HD
2. Steinberg Nuendo 3
3. Steinberg WaveLab Pro
4. Sony ACID.
5. For small 16/44.1K projects, I use Creative Labs' wave editor and recorder.
You can go to www.mackie.com and download "tracktion 2". It is free, but has a hiss inserted every 10 seconds until you "purchase" the unlock code. ($160, I think) I used it in my studio for a year until I updated to PT7. Now I use Tracktion on my notebook computer for portable gigs and import to PT for further editing. It's a bargain at the price, though.
I attached a screenshot of Tracktion taken earlier this year in my studio.

Attachments

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Current Macs come with GarageBand 3 installed, or it can be purchased as part of the iLife 06 package ($79). I'm pretty inexperienced in hands-on recording (drummer here too, tripod!), and have found GB3 to be simple to use. For larger/more detailed projects, there's Apple Logic (and Logic Express).

What kind of mixing/recording you have in mind, mephisto? As noted above, many different applications exist, each with their own pros/cons...