Australian culture and sexuality

TWZR21

Experimental Member
Media
Question: If anyone has ever been to Australia, has anyone noticed that heterosexual men have a tendency to be very comfortable with gay jokes, and gay passes at each other. I'm just saying, from an American point of view, the heterosexual men over there tend to hit on each other, make gay comments to each other and be totally comfortable with it. Americans are probably quick to point out "oh they are probably gay" and I'm sure its like that in other cultures as well where straight men make sexual comments at each other and be totally OK with it. I was just slightly confused by their sense of humor, but curious if anyone else has noticed this...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Will say it never used to be so, (admittedly can be said for most countrys/cultures) talking the 60s and prior with there all white policy as well (best forgotten)
Agree with you theyre far more open re it all, as is much of the World really, i think.

Take a look at this lpsg thread re the Aussie Rules player, who was embroiled in a comment re Homosexuals/Die'
as far as i can make out, and i only read the first ten comments of the people who supported him, they ALL appear to be backing him, as i do .. go figure, seems your right re your original point
(despite the Aussie guy posting the newspaper link decrying him as a homophobe.)
Cheers for the topic
enz
to be honest i far prefer all aspects of Aus compared to my NZ.

lpsg Thread http://www.lpsg.org/204408-st-kilda-captain-nick-riewoldt.html

and the Link to read Homophobic AFL players! Time for the AFL to act. - BigFooty

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
I know many hetero guys over here who pretend to be 'partners' with the mates, just for a laugh. It probably could be attributed to the fact that we are such an easy going nation of people.

That being said, we do have a very 'blokey' history and many guys would knock your head off for even insinuating they were gay.

I also know a few older guys who admit to gay bashing back in the 70's and 80's and its fantastic and shows progress of our country that they are now ashamed of what they did and have gay friends.

D_xgvtryjhjhn

1st Like
Media
Yeah its just for laughs, had a homophobe friend at school so we always made him the focus of gay jokes n hugs, actually had him pinned down at one point so a teacher (cool young guy who was leaving) could give him a hug lol.

But I'm pretty sure most of that same group wouldnt be keen on aus using the communal shower kinda thing in other countries (and neither would i), every place ive been has stalls, yet even then we still head home after gym for showers

DozerLA

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There was a great Australian movie called THE SUM OF US (?) starring a young Russell Crowe (gay son) and Jack Thompson as his Dad that depicted the challenges of coming out, being gay, and finding acceptance from your father down under. Worth a rent on Netflix.

dtlol

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Perth City (Western Australia, Australia)
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I know many hetero guys over here who pretend to be 'partners' with the mates, just for a laugh. It probably could be attributed to the fact that we are such an easy going nation of people.

That being said, we do have a very 'blokey' history and many guys would knock your head off for even insinuating they were gay.

I also know a few older guys who admit to gay bashing back in the 70's and 80's and its fantastic and shows progress of our country that they are now ashamed of what they did and have gay friends.

brilliantly said mate

dresser

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
its probably only america who is that sensitive about the gay topic, also italians are not into gay jokes. at least the ones i met

punk09

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
When I was in Australia in 1997 I happened to fly into Sydney the weekend of LGBT Mardi Gras so that I could adjust to the time change prior to a conference in Canberra. Yeah, life is tough and the US National Science Foundation paid for it to boot which also included a side trip to Cairns for diving at the Great Barrier Reef.

What stuck me during the after party was how many hetero men were indistinguishable from gay men, all buffed up and dancing at the gay after party.

polarbear

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
More tolerant in the capital cities, but in general Australia has some way to go. Most blokes would knock your chops if you thought they were gay... Especially if they're having a night out in the city. Very bogan.

ruggero

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think bogan is derived from "bog man" refering to the "bogbodies" found in peat bogs and the bogey man, all from the same root.
Sometimes this is carried over to "bugger" too but there's also the Hungarian link there.......

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think Australian men are very comfortable within their own groups... Mates will wrestle, smack each other on the bum, or spend a whole day trying to "sack-tap" each other, but if a stranger made a pass or a comment it's generally not acceptable, and can end unpleasantly.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
now this is an hateful racist behaviour...

Mystic Wolf, can you please explain this statement?

Are you saying that I am being racist? Or that Australian men are racist? Or did you use the word 'racist' incorrectly?

I am an Australian female; I am surrounded by Australian males every day of my life. The majority of men that I know are friendly, gregarious people who don't look for trouble.

If you have a different view on my brothers and my friends, please elucidate further.

kracker52

Admired Member
Media
Sioux Falls (South Dakota, United States)
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
american here..I just went to mattress store with a straight male buddy he was buying a new mattress..we both laid on it testing it he made a sex comment in front of the salesmen.. we bought the bed and took it back to his place....he knows I like men but we have no sexual history

D_Crystallized Ginger

Sexy Member
Media
Mystic Wolf, can you please explain this statement?

Are you saying that I am being racist? Or that Australian men are racist? Or did you use the word 'racist' incorrectly?

I am an Australian female; I am surrounded by Australian males every day of my life. The majority of men that I know are friendly, gregarious people who don't look for trouble.

If you have a different view on my brothers and my friends, please elucidate further.

I meant aussie men are racist if they behave this way... in italy we welcome every new entry with a warm hug instead...