Beer

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Hotrocker, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    So I just did a search on any existing topics pertaining to the oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage known to man and found that NOBODY has posted a topic about it. It blows my mind.

Not only is it delicious, but it gets you drunk. I know that sounds a bit sophomoric and ignorant, but this fact is what makes it awesome. The reason I bring this subject up is because I'm about to start brewing the stuff seriously because I'm so passionate about the beverage. Anyone else as much of a beer lover as myself? Something about a cold, dark ale just makes me happy. And how can you beat living in the U.S. (the shit-beer capital of the world) and being able to buy a 12-pack of Yeungling Black and Tan for $10? :rolleyes:

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Sadly I never really developed a taste for beer. But for some reason on the hottest day of summer an ice cold beer is just delicious. I think I have about two beers a year.

3. D_Eric Banana

D_Eric Banana New Member

Hi!
    I'm from Belgium, the Best Beer Country in the world... envy me ;-)
    Interbrew/Inbev has it's head capital in my street...and it's taken over the world!
    I like beer alot (except Heineken, it's tasteless), the stronger types from the abbey's are my favourites!

4. Hotrocker

Albums:
    :D oh I do envy you. I'm an ale person. I LOVE porters and stouts (especially oatmeal stouts, cream stouts and the like). Basically, the darker the ale, the better. I'm not too much of a fan of Guinness, though. Its not carbonated enough and it doesn't taste full enough. The head is the PERFECT creaminess, though. Kinda why I wanna craft my own ale: to get the perfect blend of creamy head, rich malty body with chocolate and molasses highlights and a smooth, bitter finish. I'm thinking a chocolate stout of some kind. I just recently tried an American microbrew called Oskar Blue's Old Chub and Oskar Blue's Pale Ale and DAMN that was some good beer. Gotta support the U.S. microbreweries if at all possible. They need all the help they can get...

5. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

6. Hotrocker

Albums:
    Stella is ok, but its still a Pilsner!

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amstel, Carling, Carlsberg, Leffe.

I like lagers I'm afraid, even the ones no-one else likes. If it's cold and I'm down the pub watching a match, then it'll do me. :p

8. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Yup yup, Belgium rules the market when it comes to beer. And indeed, Inbev (in the past named Interbrew) has taken over the world with some of our class beers.
    And like Linky mentioned... Heineken is tasteless, just water, but not produced in Belgium, but in the Netherlands :rolleyes:, but we still love the Dutch!!!
    But if you are a person who can appreciate real beer, then like Linky said above... the ones from the abbey's are the best, more flavour and taste in it. Also stronger. So if you think you can handle the alcohol very well from a beer in your country... then be carefull, because a soft/mild beer here is a strong one in other countries :biggrin1:

9. Brensta

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love Belgium beer... and men

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Like Joll, i prefer lagers. Im very picky when it comes to alcohol, and lager is the only thing that really tastes nice to me.

Also, get some chilli doritoes and a beer, and its an amazing combination, especially in summer!

11. D_Barbi_Dahl

D_Barbi_Dahl Account Disabled

I love good beer. I love hoppy beer. I love red ales, pale ale, IPA's and medium bodied beer. I love going to a brewery or bar like the yard house and asking for their best red ale...

I love Stone, Karl Strauss and a local brewery Callahan's.
    I am a beer snob. Rocky Mountain piss water like Coor's lite, Miller, Bud...is gross.

12. conntom

Gold Member

Dude...I was about to post a beer thread last night but I was into American Idol....

13. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am a big beer fan, all kinds too. My favorite though is Warsteiner.
    Cheers to all the other beer fans out there! :beerchug2:

14. conntom

Gold Member

My current favorite is Killian's Irish Red. Great flavor.

15. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love beer! I love double malt beer, belgian Floreffe, danish Ceres and spanish Alahambra_my FAV!

16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewery. Good stuff, as is their Double Bastard Ale.

17. Flashy

Gold Member

since i am not a big drinker, but enjoy a drink socially, i rarely drink much beer...i usually had red wine with dinner, or i can have some type of hard alcohol, only as long as it is drowned in mixer like vodka and cranberry juice so i cannot taste it...

but i have begun to enjoy beer much more in recent years...since, when i do drink it, i rarely have more than two, it allows me to enjoy it more.

I never really knew the difference between beers etc. up until i was about or so, but since then i have branched out alot.

i guess i did not like beer alot when i was young, since the only beer i ever really had was total crap...(like the type you get in college in kegs...the cheapest shit) or whatever you could get your hands on...so naturally, growing up, i thought that all beer was essentially either Budweiser or Coors, which frankly, i always hated.

i only drank lager, because i never really knew the difference...and even then, it was always something mass produced, like Corona, Heineken, Amstel,

then i started to try different lagers, that were a bit better...

but then i was intrigued when i heard for the first time about "Oatmeal stout"...and i really wanted to try it, since i like oatmeal, and i figured that it certainly could not taste worse than the yucky lagers i'd only known about.

anyway, i tried a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and i *LOVED* it...so it became my new favorite, though, you cannot really get it as readily as other beers when you go out.

since then, i tried Bass Ale, which i really enjoyed a great deal.

and i tried Guiness and i really liked that too. Trying all those made me understand now why people like beer.

I also tried Newcastle Brown, a couple of weeks ago i had something called Nut & Brown.

i am sure i have had quite a few other of the larger more commercial lagers, that once again were just boring.

i wish i took more of an interest in beers, and now, i am more discerning, but i do not drink enough to really branch out much...

i would have to say, in my limited beer drinking, my favorites are Bass Ale and Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout

i have also read alot online about other oatmeal type stouts and such

but if others can offer some good tips on those types of brews i mentioned, and others i might like that are similar, i.e thicker, but not bitter....more sweet, i'd be happy to hear any suggestions so i could try them.

18. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

^_^ LOL! You tried Oatmeal Stout cos you like oatmeal...

Don't pour it on your Cherrios!

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Try making a black & tan by floating Guinness over Bass sometime. You won't be disappointed.

20. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Cheers!

Most days I stick to light beers for fewer calories, etc.

But when I want a good regular beer, I will enjoy a Yeungling or Sam Adams. Mmmmm Cherry Wheat.

There are some really awesome bars down near the water here where they used to have drink specials (3 for $3 on Fridays where all 3 beers had to be different and from the tap). Oh, the good old days....

Draft saved Draft deleted