Brentmusic

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

X is clearly punk but their style crept into the No Wave/Post Punk genre. Blondie did as well, as they did nearly everything, but I couldn't find a good representation of some of their post-punk work. Human League went New Wave after their first album but this early piece should give you an idea of why some of their later work sounds as bleak as it does. Mojo's a cowpunk icon sort of out there orbiting his own star but he too works into the genre. The rest clearly are though I have to give a nod to Brian Eno who was never quite anything other than Brian Eno save to say his influence over music since the early 70s is genuinely enormous. Sonic Youth is just the fountainhead of everything I consider post-punk. Very nearly as influential as Eno with a profound range of stunning work. Providence is one of my favorite tracks, wistful and otherworldly.

Oh and one of the hints that I played for the other team was my particular attraction to imagining scenes of the lyrics from Go Wild In the Country. I also saw that pic of the Leigh Gorman sitting in the bathtub and thought he was very hot. I'm such a sucker for blonds....

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
X is clearly punk but their style crept into the No Wave/Post Punk genre. Blondie did as well, as they did nearly everything, but I couldn't find a good representation of some of their post-punk work. Human League went New Wave after their first album but this early piece should give you an idea of why some of their later work sounds as bleak as it does. Mojo's a cowpunk icon sort of out there orbiting his own star but he too works into the genre. The rest clearly are though I have to give a nod to Brian Eno who was never quite anything other than Brian Eno save to say his influence over music since the early 70s is genuinely enormous. Sonic Youth is just the fountainhead of everything I consider post-punk. Very nearly as influential as Eno with a profound range of stunning work. Providence is one of my favorite tracks, wistful and otherworldly.

YouTube - Blondie - 05.Hanging On The Telephone

YouTube - X - Hungry Wolf / Year One / The Worlds A Mess Hungry Wolf is my favorite song of theirs.

YouTube - The Human League - The Lebanon

Blondie's tribute to BDSM :spank:

Only song you like from Sonic Youth??

Listen to Daydream Nation. Put it on and just sit back and listen. At some point you'll hear it. Sonic Youth makes some beautiful music.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Only song you like from Sonic Youth??
I like Dirty cuz of the juxtaposition of mersh pressure vs. No Wave. Plus it was mixed by Andy Wallace :headbang:

Got my start with EVOL when I read that Henry Rollins said "it scared the fuck out of him". Then Sister and the early stuff, then up to Washing Machine, and since then it's been kinda spotty.

Dunno if they're together anymore (and turn it the fuck up): "Better Bring Your Friends" - Secret Machines

I like Dirty cuz of the juxtaposition of mersh pressure vs. No Wave. Plus it was mixed by Andy Wallace :headbang:

Got my start with EVOL when I read that Henry Rollins said "it scared the fuck out of him". Then Sister and the early stuff, then up to Washing Machine, and since then it's been kinda spotty.

Dunno if they're together anymore (and turn it the fuck up): "Better Bring Your Friends" - Secret Machines

Good find Danny!

Agree that Washing Machine didn't get all the stains out. Still, can't dis them. They're gods.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Blondie poses something of a problem: they never were anything but a pop band with an older woman singing flat. That having been said, they were vastly influential and popular, much more than The Pretenders (whom I preferred). But there is something undefinable but compelling about Hanging On The Telephone, for instance, or Dreaming, still.

And Atomic is flat-out fabulous, even if Heart Of Glass, Call Me, The Tide Is High, Rapture, etc are utter dreck. Even a recent relisten of Sunday Girl and Picture This proved unrewarding. Sigh.

Brian Eno laid the foundation for almost everything that followed, for sure. Heroes is a landmark in contemporary music. Personally I enjoy his ambient work like Music For Airports , which I used to listen to when getting a therapeutic massage.

The David Byrne/B52's collaboration was one of the biggest disappointments of the era. It took several years before I could even listen to Mesopotamia without wincing.

I always liked the detached quality of The Human League (despite Don't You Want Me?), although groups like Bauhaus and Depeche Mode had much more snob appeal.

There was a familiar pattern to the music. The first few efforts were pure and sincere, but with popularity came the inevitable compromise and "commercialization" that was the kiss of death very few acts could avoid.

The Psychedelic Furs are the best example of this. Their first two albums were astounding, with songs like We Love You, Sister Europe, Pulse, Imitation Of Christ, Into You Like A Train, Dumb Waiters, No Tears, All Of This & Nothing, etc. But their third album lost its punch, and even someone as un-mainstream as Richard Butler lost his cool.