Brokeback Mountain

I have no idea whether this is getting much publicity on the other side of the pond, but from a European perspective I have to say that Willie Nelson's "Brokeback"-associated release of a C&W song titled "Cowboys Are Secretly, Frequently (Fond of Each Other)" seems like the most unlikely spin-off from this movie :biggrin1: Cool, for sure, but seriously bizarre!

BBC report on the song:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4715822.stm
 
Much as many of you are going to hate to hear it, I'm predicting this year's Oscars get terribly low ratings.

The majority of the American public is weary of undereducated entertainment elites shoving their politics down their throats. That, in part, is why American Idol recently trounced the Grammys. And it's pretty easy to see what this years theme will be. Sorry guys, just calling 'em the way I see 'em.
 
HungSpermBoy said:
This film has hit me really hard & that's why I started this thread. I'm now just finally understanding what people, who don't fit society's norm about sexuality or emotional needs, have to go through just to be themselves. The reality is that straight people,me included, just take our sexuality for granted and all of society supports our orientation. I mean, every place you look at on the internet or TV or newspapers and magazines, we get to see ourselves being affirmed 24/7. It must be super painful for women and men who love the same gender not to get any affirmation for their lives at all. And on top of that, to be treated badly by society or told that there's something wrong with their love. I think that's what Brokeback Mountain has taught me. I can't believe I haven't understood this before.
___________________________________________
I'm always amazed when straight men talk or act like this. I guess because Iv'e come to expect the worst from them.

HungSpermBoy,
You give me hope that there are more like you out there.
Thanks for your kind words.
 
Well, I finally Saw it, ive been waiting for it to come over here in greece for 2 months.. went to the premier and all. strange thing tho, it was allocated the biggest screen in Athens' 20Screen multiplex, but it was barely half full, on the premier. also theyre was annoying giggles and laughs from people without a clue.

i have to admit that when the movie finished, i wasnt impressed, i thought it was a good film but not 8oscar material. maybe i was too hyped? fast forward next morning and i cannot get the scenes out of my head. so many Strong scenes

the initial meeting,
the sex scene
the 4year kiss
the motel scene
the fight scene
the shirt scene.. ah.. the shirt scene. such a POWERFULL image

so now, i cant get the movie out of my head. one one level i want to see it again and relive the magic of brokeback mountain,
on another level i dont want to see it because i know nothing will change. and while im constantly reminding myself that "its just a film" my mind is rambling along replaying the scenes

as a note, i did not feel that heath's acting was good. i felt that the accent was very pressured and the fact that he spoke trying not to move his upper lip made it worse. i thought etiting was crap too.

also i did not know if i was to feel pitty or joy for the characters.
joy because even for a glimpse they felt and incredebly strong love . something not many humans experience in their lives. or pitty because they saw true love but were denied it....

as someone said here... yes.. an alternative ending with jack and ennis moving to san fransisco and opening a taco restaurant would be very nice to stop my mind from galloping to such sad emotions..
 
Ditto my thanks to you HungSpermBoy for starting this thread and for all who have contributed. This has been one of the most enlightened, heartening threads.
 
I have now seen the movie...twice--once alone and once with my wife. It will not leave me. The emotions of the two men, the problems with being married and being secretly in love....all of these mirror my exact experience. I wonder how many men in America have this kind of "Brokeback Mountain" life going on? It helped me to realize that these characters were going through exactly what my male friend and I are going through. We generally see each other twice a year, and it requires lies and cover-ups to our wives. I suppose that is why this movie won't leave me. I think about it and the dialog all of the time. I am meeting my male friend on the 28th in a motel near here. I might say one of the lines of dialog to him....I am thinking of the line "You know, it could be like this, just like this, always." The problem is the social and family consequences. I am so glad this movie was made and that I saw it.
 
Two more comments and I will shut up----

The excellence of the movie is underscored by the fact that so many of us cannot get it out of our minds. Both my wife and I, when we first saw it, thought it was not as great as we expected...not as great as the hype. Yet, neither of us has been able to forget it. And, like most of you, I play the scenes in my mind over and over. It IS a great movie, but its greatness sneaks up on you later.

A second thought....One of my conservative Christian friends (who will not see it) has burned all of his books by Larry McMurtry because he has written a movie that will, "...recruit people to the gay life style." If he saw the movie, he would understand that it is not a recruitment movie. It does ask for tolerance, but can you imagine any straight person seeing this movie and deciding that they want to live like the two characters? If anything, conservative Christians should be begging their congregations to see the film...It certainly would discourage anyone from considering or wanting to be a homosexual. Those who have not seen it just don't understand.

As for me, I will be thinking about this movie for years.
 
I am an older, married man who considered himself bi-sexual, but in the past few years I've realized I'm really totally gay. I went to Brokeback Mountain by myself, wanting to react to it without anybody being with me. I found that, rather than being turned on by the male sex, I was far more moved by the humanity conveyed by the actors. I've had a long crush on Jake and hadn't seen why Heath was so adored by women. Heath I still don't understand, but his portrayal of Ennis was so intense. Jake just wanted me to go bed with him even more. The photography was also excellent, although the movie should have been filmed in wide screen to capture the beauty of the landscape. Too bad that it was shot in Canada instead of Wyoming. That was a cop out.
 
Shelby said:
Much as many of you are going to hate to hear it, I'm predicting this year's Oscars get terribly low ratings.

The majority of the American public is weary of undereducated entertainment elites shoving their politics down their throats. That, in part, is why American Idol recently trounced the Grammys. And it's pretty easy to see what this years theme will be. Sorry guys, just calling 'em the way I see 'em.

Aaaand, American Idol just trounced the Olympics in ratings too.

So much for that theory.
 
I don't think that "the American public" is all that conscious anyway. I mean if we elect someone like George Bush as president, the majority of Americans are pretty fucking dumb and unaware. The fact that this movie was made at all is a miracle to me.


Shelby said:
Much as many of you are going to hate to hear it, I'm predicting this year's Oscars get terribly low ratings.

The majority of the American public is weary of undereducated entertainment elites shoving their politics down their throats. That, in part, is why American Idol recently trounced the Grammys. And it's pretty easy to see what this years theme will be. Sorry guys, just calling 'em the way I see 'em.
 
hey Jeff (HSB),
i just finished reading all the posts on this topic & wanted to thank you for starting it in the first place. i am so fucking proud & happy that you are my friend. you are one of the most awesome guys i've ever met. always stay true to yourself. ok? give my love to you know who.

Love,
Rich:beerchug:


HungSpermBoy said:
This film has hit me really hard & that's why I started this thread. I'm now just finally understanding what people, who don't fit society's norm about sexuality or emotional needs, have to go through just to be themselves. The reality is that straight people,me included, just take our sexuality for granted and all of society supports our orientation. I mean, every place you look at on the internet or TV or newspapers and magazines, we get to see ourselves being affirmed 24/7. It must be super painful for women and men who love the same gender not to get any affirmation for their lives at all. And on top of that, to be treated badly by society or told that there's something wrong with their love. I think that's what Brokeback Mountain has taught me. I can't believe I haven't understood this before.

I want to wish the best for Stronzo.
 
Well, I finally saw the movie last night. I'm not sure if I know how I feel about it, except that it is a bit too long! I was troubled early on in the film, the the first sex scene (which looked like a rape to me). Then the rest of the movie just struck me as really sad, but I am not sure you can call it 'love' between Ennis/Jack. Which just points on how personal experience will influence on whether you like this move or not. For me, this was a good movie, it was not a great move (CRASH is much better). IMHO, there are better examples of quote gay unquote movies.
 
My boy friend and I met yesterday. As I have shared, we are both married and live in separate cities. We can only get together a few times a year. Yesterday, it was just two hours. We discussed the Brokeback Mountain experience. I believe it had such a huge impact on my because it mirrors our situation. We both talked about how it would be if we weren't married, but divorce is not an option for either of us. And, we wish we were closer together so we could see each other more often, but we both have careers that we cannot leave. That is why the movie was so poignant for both of us. Sometimes our relationship seems terribly sad. I am on top of the world when we are together, but the day after, today, I am depressed and lonely. The movie helps because it makes me at least feel like we are not alone and that others are experiencing the same heartache.
 
Hi, Sabln7,

At least you have these occasional encounters, but does being able to do this make it more painful than not being able to get together at all? I'm so lucky. I am married and there's no way out, but my boyfriend, single, is 15 minutes from me. I can't imagine being away from him the way you are forced to be from your guy. But, who knows? Eventually both of us may get what we want. Meanwhile, I will be hanging in there (so to speak) just like you are. Take care.
 
Thanks for the note dfox7. It helps to know that others are in the same boat. I am close to your age. When I was young, marriage to a woman was the only option, and I married very young...before I really understood my sexual orientation. I have kids and grandkids and a wife who loves me, and my orientation is not her fault. Divorce and living the life I want to live would hurt too many people at this point. My male friend is in a similar situation, so we just live for those few times we can get together.